Looking for a new self-defence ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Phelenwolf, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Okay guys I could really use your help on this.

I am looking for a different type of 9mm JHP round to carry and use in my Sig P226 and P228. Now the reason I am asking is because I live in a small town with a very limited choice on ammo at the local Wally World and gun shop. So I have been looking on-line and found a couple that I was interested in purchasing.

Here is what I am looking at:

COR®BON Self Defense Ammunition 9MM+P 115GR JHP

Hornady® Custom Ammunition 9MM 115GR JHP/XTP

Winchester Bonded PDX1 9MM 124GR BONDED

Any feed back on first hand useage would help.

2. tCan

tCan Active Member

What were you using before?

My understanding is that Hornady Critical Defense is the most popular carry ammo. Probably for good reason. To me though, unless it's got design flaws, a hollow point is a hollow point, is a hollow point.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

4. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

Federal HST in my handguns

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I usually recommend you use what the local PD uses. Hard for prosecutors to paint it in a negative light when their own officers use it. My preference in 9mm is 124 gr +p.

6. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Tactical Ammunition

Buffalo Bore: 9mm Luger 147 grain +P+ 1300/451 JHP #24C/20
    Corbon: 9mm Luger +P 125 grain 1250/434 JHP #SD09125-20
    Hornady: 9mm 147grain TAP FPD 975/310 JHP #90282
    Winchester: Supreme Elite 9mm 124 grain 990/396 fps JHP PDX1 #S9MMPDB

7. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

tCan....I used to think like you until I really started doing some research. If you go on YouTube you can see some really neat tests. Then you realize that sometimes the ammo doesn't do what you think it should. I never thought about clothing plugging up the cavity making it a lot less effective. The critical defense ammo stops this. I have carried that and currently carry Winchester pdx1.....NASTY looking stuff when it opens up. And it is what the FBI is carrying. Just my two cents ....

8. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I'm partial to Gold Dot

9. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have been using Speer Gold Dot 115gr JHP. I just picket up some Federal Hydro Shocks 147gr JHP.

10. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I was looking at the Winchester PDX1 ammo. Living here in Az I am not to worried about clothing plugging the round.

11. tCan

tCan Active Member

When I say design flaws, I mean anything that fails to expand when fired on a simulated human target. I still vet ammo. There are just too many variables to say that one ammo is the best. Hell, it may be better to have ball ammo in some instances. Honestly, full expansion and 8 inches of penetration is all you really need. Just enough to get to the organs. My 2 cents.