Looking for a new plinker with a bull barell

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by JGguns, Mar 2, 2009.

1. JGguns

JGguns New Member

Hey guys right now I have a ss rosi pump .22 its a fun little gun and actually very accurate. But I am wanting to get a new .22 I have had this one since I can remeber. I am wanting something low in price (hopefully under 300) preferably semi auto but a bolt would be fine with a bull barrel. I have found a couplethat I like but figure I better ask for opions before I pull the trigger on something. I like the winchester wildcat and the savage mark ll with a target barrel. Any others I should take a look at? Thanks

2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

My recommendation is a Savage Arms Mark II BVT with the AccuTrigger. Best rifle for the price in my eyes. Yes you can get a Ruger 10/22 and put hundreds of dollars into custom parts and work. But I literally put tacs in the backer-board for targets with my stock Savage 93R17. For a factory rimfire rifle, its hard to beat a Savage. My two cents.

3. JGguns

JGguns New Member

Alright thanks for the input. Do all the mark ll come with a heavy target barrel? Or is there differant barrels?

4. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

5. JGguns

JGguns New Member

Alright i checked them out looks like I will probly be going with a stock one with a heavy target barell. Are there alot of options for these guns as far as tactical looking stuff? Anyone got any pics of modded mark ll? Thanks

6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Theres not much aftermarket parts for the Mark II. Mainly scopes and stocks, but I love the thumbhole stock on mine. If your looking for aftermarket down the line, then the Ruger 10/22 probably has the most to choose from.

7. JGguns

JGguns New Member

Yeah I checked out the thumbhole stocks, very slick looking stocks. i am not planning on going crazy with it. I will probly just end up put one of the thumb hole stocks on it. I just want the option of being able to change it up a bit. Well now that I have the gun narrowed down what is the used price roughly on theses? I found the standard one with the 21" heavy target barell for $241. I probly will end up just buying new cause they are so cheap..

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

9. JGguns

JGguns New Member

Yeah I checked out gun broker but I didnt see any on there. If I can wait 2 weeks for the gun show to come I probly could find one but I dont know if I have the patience lol.

10. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Patience is important when purchasing firearms. Sometimes you just need to wait for the right deal to come along. You KNOW if you buy it now for $300, your going to see it at that gun show for $240.:D I had to learn the hard way that a gun is not something you buy on impulse, it never works out well.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Under $300 how about under $200

You can pick up a Mossberg M44us for $175+shipping from the CMP. That m44 will shoot out shoot anything comming out of a factory today. Even the 10/2puke.

12. JGguns

JGguns New Member

Haha Yea I know that all to well. I am alittle surprised that I cant find any on gun broker or in the local paper. I have my doubts about the gun show but we will see I guess. Do they offer bigger magazines for these guns(savage)?... The problem with that sight is you have to be eligable to join and I have never done any competition shooting and I am not 21 yet so no concealed weapons, but march 15 that all changes!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  13. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Wow. Is it really that accurate? If so, I'm getting one!

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Oh you should go to the mossberg forum over at Rimfirecentral.com and see some of the targets these guys are posting.

I have a tube feed model 46(b)b that my dad gave me. that is crazy accurate. May not look like much but old mossbergs are great shooters. Plus you can pull them old stocks off them m44us mossbergs strip them and refinish them and you may have a AAA chunk of wood on it. Many of them show some great figure and after they are refinished glow like a perfect bum in the setting sun on the beach at Canebrakes house.

Mossberg 46BT update... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

another blondie!!! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

15. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

If you're wanting a bull barrel and possibly to improve later, the Ruger 10/22 is the most reliable .22 semi-auto rifle of all time, and is the only sensible choice. I've built 10/22s that, even though they well exceeded 300$, would group 5 shots into less than 1/4" at 50 yards. In fact, both I, and some customers have won matches with 10/22s I've built.

16. JGguns

JGguns New Member

Yea well 300 hundred is just what I am hoping to pay for the rifle initially. I would lke to build it up over time but for now I am just looking for something to replace my rossi. I think its between the ruger and the savage. It might just come down to what they have at the next gun show.

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If you want something to dump money into then get a Ruger 10/twentypuke.

If you want a rifle that will shoot rings around a 10/22 then get a remington 513 t 521t or Mossberg m44us.

18. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Mossberg M44us

My CMP M44US after a little TLC
    [​IMG]
    My cousins CMP 44US stock I was refinishing
    [​IMG]
    First 5sht group @25 yds--peep sites
    [​IMG]
    Sorry fuzzy pics...cell phone

19. hawkeye1

hawkeye1 New Member

I've had my eye on a CZ452 Varmint. Heavy barrel available in 22lr, 22 mag, and 17hmr. I really like the feel of this rifle. It is adult sized and very solid. You might check it out at the local gun shop or the cz site.

CZ-USA Hunting & Sporting Firearms & Accessories

good shooting

20. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin's eat Remington's for lunch. That's why Remington bought 'em out, so they could get the secret to their 16-groove barrels. Watch for Remington to suddenly come out with their own version of 'em. The only thing close to a Marlin for accuracy without putting extra money into it is a CZ.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009