Looking for a new gun!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TrueNorth, Sep 24, 2011.

1. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

I know this isn't the best way to go about this, but I figured I'd get some inspiration.

I am thinking of getting a new gun, and am just overwhelmed by the choices! Not even the choice of brand or model, but even of type.
    I currently have a 12ga pump, and a 9mm semi-auto pistol. I was thinking of rounding out the collection with a rifle.

I am getting into hunting, but there's nothing in my mind that I can't hunt with the shotgun to some degree, and HD is taken care of between the two. So, uses will be for plinking, but hunting would be useful also. I guess my question is: for now will I be better served by a larger calibre gun, or should I just get the ol' .22 first?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh wow that's a heck of a question. Do you plan on having both eventually?

One thing to look at is that deer season is closing in very fast.

3. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Oh, yes I do plan to get both in time, (and others!), but I'm picking them up one at a time as its practical to. I don't mind missing a hunting season as I would probably try to train/plink with it first for awhile.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You have some firearms experience. .22's give you allot of trigger time and fun for short money. On the other hand a low recoil hunting rig is very pracical although more expensive to feed. Surplus guns are pretty cheap in Canada, look at Marstar. This is a great shooters deal:
    http://www.marstar.ca/main/images/$75-SkS.jpg

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Surplus guns are not only cheap, but the ammo for some of them are dirt cheap.

That being said, if you don't mind missing a hunting season, or if you have a family member that is willing to loan you a rifle for hunting (I don't like doing it and won't loan one myself) then I would go ahead and get the .22.

If you want to go ahead and get a good hunting rifle though, the one Canebrake posted is a good deal, and it's new. There's a chance of running into trouble with a surplus.

6. rockhouse

rockhouse New Member

I think you answered your own question. If you can hunt with your shotty go with the 22 and have some fun plinking until you decide to increase caliber.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Please enlighten us.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Surplus rifles are exactly that. Old warhorse weapons that have been through hell and back. Some are excellent (like mine), and then sometimes lady luck doesn't smile for you and you wind up with something from the bottom of the barrel. Unless your picking from a rack of course.

I'm not knocking surplus. In fact if you've seen some of my other posts, the only rifle I own is a surplus 91/30 that looks like hell and I rave about it all the time.

The bore is dark as ink (until just a few days ago, I scrubbed for a couple hours straight) but it still hits cans at 100 yards with irons.

9. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

If you are liooking to add a rifle to your collection to kind of complete your collection as far as useful guns, there are a couple choices in my opinion. A 270 or 30-06 would be abouit the best do-all guns in my opinion. You can kill anything from prairie dogs to elk and moose in North America with one of this calibers. Are there better choices for smaller game? Yes. Are there better choices for bigger game? Yes. But if you are lookign to buy one gun without having to have a different gun in your collection for everything, these two would be some fo the top choices in my opinion.

10. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Thanks for all of the opinions! All valuable comments. I was thinking of a surplus SKS, under $400CA for a "new unused arsenal" one with 1200 milsurp rounds -tempting! But I would go with a hunting gun first I think.

As far as the .22 idea, it just seems cheap and easy to get right away, I was leaning towards a 10/22, but I have access to .22's through friends. I just like having my own though - I guess many people here get that!

I have heard good things about the 30-06, but have never fired one, is the recoil similar to a 7mm remington? I am a bit on the smaller side - I can handle a 12ga no problem, but the 7mm is rough to use without a benchrest. I was thinking of going with a smaller round, until I get more experience. I'll try the rounds at the range of course, but what can I expect from a .308 or 30-06 compared to 12ga or 7mm rem?

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

you can hunt just fine with an SKS. There may be better options out there, but the 7.62x39 still kills.

As for the recoil, someone else will weigh in I'm sure, but all the higher power rifles feel about the same to me, or comparable at least, until you get into magnum rounds.