Looking for a New CCW gun, Need Help

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by propex, Aug 8, 2008.

1. propex

propex New Member

I am looking to buy a new carry gun. I am short and heavy (think bowling ball shape) and it is hard for me to carry other than pants pocket of jacket pocket. I an sold on a semi auto and a .45 caliber. Needs to be light as possible so my pants don't fall down. Have thought of a Bersa Thunder Mini .45 or a Glock model 36. I do have small hands so wouuld have to hold one to check the fit. I currently carry a Charter Arms Bull Dog Pug in the winter and a Model 60 S&W or Colt Mustang 380 in the summer but do not feel they are gun enough IMHO. I am sorry if this topic has been discussed before.

2. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

Check out the Kahr CW45. Nice length in grip and only 1" wide. Mine is becoming my favorite.

3. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

Take a look at the Taurus 745 , 145 and all of their MILLENNIUM PRO line the 745 is only 20 ounces .

Another option might be a Colt Defender and try using a "Clip Draw" while wearing a belt to hold up your pants they can be had for 1911's , Glocks revolvers and in a universal model .

Try going to www.clipdraw.com and looking at it .

4. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Here are my carry guns... and other things.

[​IMG]

The Kel Tec P3AT is an excellent pocket carry, you don't hardly know it's there. My CZ75B is fairly big and needs to be consealed VIA: coat or jacket.

Mark

5. markaf

markaf New Member

Well I can tell you what not to look at. My brand new Bersa never left the dealers gun range. It started mis-chambering every round I tried to feed it in it's first hour of ownership. Now it's having surgery and convalescence in Colorado. :mad:

6. Mark F

Walk away from the Bersa... and don't look back. I'd take an old Makarov 380 long before I'd trust a Bersa with my life.

Go get your self a CZ 83 or a Sig P232... or even a Kel Tec P3AT

7. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

Odd , the gun forums I visit are full of Bersa Thunder 380 owners that just love them .

If one bad experience ruined you on a brand you would probably be hard pressed to be driving a car or truck .

I can't think of a single major manufacture of anything that doesn't occasionally produce a product is a bad one .

Have you even given them time to try to fix or replace your pistol ?

8. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I carry a Walther PPK clone in .380. With the right ammo it can deliver 75% one-shot stops. It's small and light and I can barely feel it's weight on my belt. I have other guns that are more powerful and much heavier. Most .40 and .45's weigh in at 1 1/2 to 2 lbs and more. Who needs all that weight...

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*raising hand*

That would be me....

JD

10. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

My beliefs are that if I need to draw a weapon one shot stops will be hard to come by and Knock Down Power is as much a myth as Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny and that the only Guaranty will be that the gun I draw will be no smaller than a 40 in an auto and 357 in a revolver .

I'll live with the weight on my belt I just hope when the shooting is all done I'm still alive with it in my hand .

11. Mark F

I'm just basing this on my "first hand" experience, and not what "others" think.

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

To each his own...I prefer to lift weights at home.

13. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I don't have enough authority to be an expert on the subject, but I'm planning on getting a S&W airweight revolver with the crimson trace laser for a CCW. Concealed hammer, revolver reliability, and I'm in bigger trouble than I need to be if I can't resolve the issue with it's five shot capacity...

14. Mark F

No argument there! Revolvers are proven reliable SD weapons. I do keep a .357 handy and I know it will always fire on demand. It won't fire the number of shots that my CZ will, but 6 shots from a .357 is a lot of bang...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammunition is cheap - life is expensive.

16. itruns

itruns New Member

pocket gun

I went through the same process myself recently... After shooting current ammo... the smallest round I felt reasonably comfortable with was 9mm P+ based on the fact I wanted/ needed a small but controllable gun...

As I couldn't see paying over a $1000 for a Roubach (sp?) and I wanted more than 6 rounds... I bought a Keltec p9... as it is my first Keltec and as any new gun.. I don't quite trust it yet... but it does have 250+ trouble free rounds through it so far... and it is about as small as my hands can fit. (I still need to do some relieving under the trigger guard for a more comfortable fit)

And unlike any of my Glocks...even the G29.. you really can forget you are carrying it... My daily carry will still be the 20 or 29... but sometimes you need a really concealable gun with enough umunph to feel ok with it...

I know to some folks that is a 44mag and above...but even if they could make one that small...the recoil would probably hurt you almost as much as the bullet did the bad guy...esp as you probably wouldn't be able to hit him with it anyway...:D

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Quoted for Truth....

JD

18. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

git'ya a Bersa

Just loaded up with Corbon DPX Ammunition DPX38080
    and just remember "Placement" it's all about placement [​IMG][/IMG]