Looking For A New AR: Which Brand?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by MikeJK, Jul 10, 2012.

1. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I'm looking at getting another AR. I have a few but am wanting another. Currently I run a couple BCMs, a Daniel Defense, and a CMMG .22LR.

Should I get another BCM?

W/ all the talk about bad brands I'm wondering if there is any bad press out there regarding BCM. Have any of you come across anything?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I haven't seen anyone dissatisfied with BCM. Even when there are problems, their customer service is quick to make it right. I'm pleased with mine.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

3. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

What problems have you come across?

4. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

I suggest you get a Del-Ton. They are awesome and don't cost as much as all the other brands you mentioned. Just kidding.:p

I second the Lewis, great company to buy from if you are wanting to branch out from Brovo.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

None that are attributable to the rifle itself. Problems I've read about tend to be related to ammo, magazines, lubrication and third party add-ons. My first hand experience has been minor extraction issues with Tula/Herter's but the the same happens with my Daniel Defense. Cabelas user reviews complain on and on about Herter's stuck cases so this is ammo related.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Mike, do a Colt. maybe a retro one that looks like one of the originals from the early 1960's, but with more modern or better internals. A1 with the triangular foregrips, A1 upper and flash hider, ect., but a better barrel that looks original, quality BCG and trigger, ect.,

just an idea, and one i have been kicking around for some time now.

7. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Before this gets to far off course. I'm not looking for suggestions as far as different brands.

I'm happy w/ BCM but was curious if others had heard, seen, or experienced anything negative w/ BCM as I'm looking to get another.

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Build an M16A1 clone!

I've been wanting to for a long time, but haven't gotten my 1st AR yet so it's gotta wait.

DO IT!!!!

(Pic for extra persuasion.);)

Attached Files:

• M16.jpg
      M16.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
  9. X-mark

X-mark New Member

I believe I read not to long ago that BCM had a run of upper receivers that were out of spec...the same issue PSA had. Of course they took care of the problem and all their customers who received them. Every company is going to have their share of something out of spec or missing parts. It is how they handle the issue that makes a difference. I recently had a run of Spike's LPKs where some of the kits had a missing piece. As soon as the customer let me know about it, I promptly opened a kit and sent them the missing piece, along with something for their inconvenience. I then, promptly made Spike's aware of this issue and they promptly sent me replacement pieces. In the end, I lost out some from these kits due to the extra shipping and the freebies, but these were my customers and it was my responsibility to correct the issue, even though I did not manufacture or assemble these kits.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

X-Mark, that attitude is the sign that business or company puts the customer ahead of the profit margin. that type of CS goes a long ways in keeping and gaining new customers. i agree, everyone and every company can make mistakes, but how it's dealt with, says a lot about their character.

with your approach and attitude, i would do business with you!:D

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Nemo, for the man that has it all, but still wants for something more.

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly I make a precision oriented ar15. I don't you have one yet, no? Maybe something suitable for 600+ yard engagements? If that doesn't float you boat, how about something for things that go bump in the night. Think suppressed and thermal......

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

You know my mantra .... build your own ;)

14. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

try a psa and see what all the hubub is about?

15. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I love my PWS MK114. It was priced right for a long stroke piston AR, I paid $1500, and is set up nicely from the factory. I liked that the muzzle break plus the 14.5" barrel make it NJ legal from the factory, no need to upcharge me to make it "NJ compliant" and it came with MOE furniture and sights, an enhanced buffer and tube and BCM gunfighter charging handle. Plus being piston driven it's easy as all ell to maintain.

If you can find one in stock or are willing to wait the requisite lead time, it's a great AR...

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well it's hard to beat BCM for price vs. performance. And they have a reputation they don't want tarnished so they go the extra mile to make things right when a customer does have a problem (as evidenced by JonM's recent problem with a third party add-on). I just don't remember hearing of any unresolved issues.

I never had to call BCM's customer support while with my ArmaLite I did many times. (To be fair, ArmaLite did resolve the problems but only after I got ahold of someone competent. I don't think I would have got that kind of runaround at BCM.)

No doubt BCM's overall high quality and customer support make for satisfied customers and few complaints. I don't see how you can go wrong. In fact the biggest problem is when demand is high it can take a while for items to get back in stock.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive got a bcm my wife has one now too. Replaced her dpms with it which is now resigned to getting brutalized by the 458socom.

The only complaint i have with bcm is they dont offer a target or varmint type ar15. They also dont offer a service rifle varient capable of competeing in service rifle matches. What i mean by competing is not that you cant run one of their A2 its that its not accurate enough in regards to sight adjustments and general accuracy for that level.

If i was going to branch out from bcm it would likely be the colt 901

But you cant stay milspec and achieve precision shooting and milspec is bcm's trademark. Its a minor thing but i like bcm and it would be cool to sell my rra national match and buy a bcm national match

19. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

Service rifle follows rules set by the cmp. Unfortunately the mk12 wouldnt meet the qualifications not because of any accuracy issues good or bad but because it doesnt meet the a2/a4 layout. I think the cmp is going to allow m4 formats in the near future.