looking for a new ar is this a good deal??

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by 1bad442, Apr 3, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

First question I have is what state are you in?

2. 1bad442

1bad442 New Member

illinois. more specifically lake county area, which is out side the cook county chicago area

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ok I'm not familiar with their laws. Make sure a collapsable stock and vertical grip are legal. Aside from that I'd say the price isn't too bad but what about extra charges (shipping,transfer fees, etc.). I'm sure if you look around more you might be able to do better. Looks like a nice gun though.

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'd pass, you can build one for about the same price. Bull barrels are heavy, having one SS barrel chambered in 5.56 nato is counter-intuitive. Doesn't even mention who made the barrel.

5. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

I have to agree with Tikki. I built a decent one for around $800 and if I had a $1200 budget I could have done much much more with the rifle I'm building. Do some research and read some of the stickies and you'll want to build your own.

6. 1bad442

1bad442 New Member

both are legal here and there would be no shipping or ftf fees as i could do a face 2 face transaction as hes local to me

7. 1bad442

1bad442 New Member

what exactly is a bull barrel?? sorry for the dumb questions but im new to the ar style platform :)

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

A heavy thick walled barrel designed for accuracy. Keeps zero better after multiple shots because it reacts to heat less than a thinner barrel.

9. 1bad442

1bad442 New Member

ok so would the barrel on that gun be considered a bull barrel?? and im assuming one of them would be better if you intend on using a slidefire??

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

He states that the area under the gas block is .936 in diameter. That is bull barrel width. Typical medium contours are .750 under the gas block. Bull barrels are thick and heavy for added rigidity for added precision. The barrel is unthreaded at the muzzle with only a target crown. So it would seem that this is a precision oriented barrel. But its chambered in 5.56. Not a precision chambering, its a bit loose for added reliability (so it can still function when dirty). That doesn't make any sense, it's counter intuitive.

The current trend is for lightweight set ups, easier to carry, easier to track multiple targets, accurate enough for practical shooting. The heavier a rifle is, longer it will take you to track, stop, hold steady, then fire. Bull barrels are best for bench shooting or for fire suppression roles....

Also what gets me is this guy, tells you who forged his upper, who made his dust cover, but won't tell you who made the barrel.....wth man.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would imagine it is a heavy barrel and could be useful on a slide fire.

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Stainless steel barrels are a bad choice for rapid fire type shooting.

They don't last as long. You should consider a chromed barrel.

While slidefires are cool, I'd get a 3 gun competition trigger, you'll have more control and be able to shoot almost as fast.

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you are really going to do a lot of rapid fire shooting, get at least a medium contour barrel, with chrome lining or melonite. Also CHF barrels will last longer. Heavy barrels would be a pretty good choice given your shooting parameters. But they are heavy.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

As Tikki said Chrome is definitely better and back to original question on price it sounds like you would be doing work on it anyway so...pass.

15. 1bad442

1bad442 New Member

thanks for the good info and yes a slidefire will be a definate as i love the one on my m&p 15-22 so with that said what type of barrel should i be looking for manufacture wise and what length and twist would u recomend id still like to have an accurate gun when not used in slidefire mode.

16. 1bad442

1bad442 New Member

i was also kicking around the idea of doing a slidefire with a 7.62x 39 ar but im not to sure how controlable that would be ????

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

If I were looking for an AR to hook a slidefire to I'd get a DPMS. They are of the same quality.

18. 1bad442

1bad442 New Member

ive also been told the chrome moly barrels are the cheaper ones and to stay away from those, is that correct advice?

19. 1bad442

1bad442 New Member

ive been told by several people who own dpms guns to stay away from them as there complete hunks of junk im looking more from something built with spikes tactical or daniel defense qaulity parts