Looking for a mosin

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by MixedBerriesKY, Jun 18, 2013.

1. MixedBerriesKY

MixedBerriesKY New Member

I'm looking for a missing rifle but can't find jack bull. Just last year I saw them being sold for nearly sixty dollars! Now distributers are greedy. They want over a hundred dollars for a "handpicked" rifle with just a decent bore. If anyone knows a place near me where I can get one for under a hundred dollars I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh, can a minor get one?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, NO, a minor cannot buy a rifle. There are these funny Federal and State laws about that.

And sorry, but you will have a hard time finding a M/N for $100 today. My price directly from the wholesaler (I have a Federal Firearms License, so i CAN buy direct) is about $149.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Drop by the intro thread and say hello.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's sucketh, it truly doth. Nowadays, your lucky to get your hands on one for $150. I wish I'd kept mine.

4. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Just payed 200 for one and a little piece if my soul died inside. But that's the way it goes when you don't act when times are good and assume things will last.

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

AIM Surplus has 91/30's for $119 for dealers/collectors like myself. I would also like to point out that no one has been selling mosin's for less than $80 for many years not even wholesale. In my home state of Georgia, you must be age 18 to purchase a long gun (rifle) and 21 for handguns.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd do some research. Prices are going up-it's a result of increased

demand, due to the word getting out about these sturdy, fun rifles.

The supply is also thinning out a little. And I'm sure you'd be

pissed, if what you wanted all along was the shorter carbine

version with the built-in bayonet, and what you got, at

these higher prices, is a longer 91-30.

Hex, or round receiver? Etc.

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Carbines like the Chinese type 53's are going for $119 and up and seem to be in good supply at CIA (Century Intern. Arms). If the OP is looking for a hard hitting rifle then the carbine will be it but the long barreled 91/30's offer better accuracy and less recoil..

8. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Just curious to know where you found a working Mosin for $60 last year and not a relic that was a non-working wall ornament.

9. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Just had 1 I could have got for 130 with two mag pouches and 40 rounds ammo. Had to turn it down

10. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Check out budsgunshop.com I bought mine 6 months ago for $130.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bud's Gun is now $149 for the rifle, no accessories. Bear in mind- if you are NOT an 01 or 03 FFL holder, you will also have a transfer fee to the receiving dealer.

12. sofatater

sofatater New Member

Yup. I just paid $119 for a Chinese Type 53 from Bud's last week. I can't speak for all of them, but the one I received was in my opinion, in very good condition. The stock was pretty beat up,(it's military surplus and adds character) but that can be fixed/replaced. The important parts (bbl/recvr) were very well maintained for a 59 year old rifle.

If you intend to get more than one milsurp, I would highly recommend getting a C&R. It's costs the same as a single transfer fee and is good for 3 years!

13. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

j&G, Classic, Impact Guns, Bud's, Rguns, and they are in the $120 up price range, but available. Never thought that I would see the day that my 1930 hex would quadruple in value
    Some dealers even offer them by the case for $2500.

14. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

A miner looking to buy a gun. Sounds like a ATF set up to me. I. Hope no one is thinking of helping him before he turns 18

15. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

+1 sad but true

16. MixedBerriesKY

MixedBerriesKY New Member

Thanks

You've all been very helpful. Except for you Robert. Except for you.

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I "had" guns before I was 18. My parents had to buy them but they were understood to be mine. I hope he and his parents have a close enough relationship that they will help to develop him into a responsible gun owner.

And if he is working in the mines he's already showing some good work ethic. Being a miner when you're a minor is really tough.;)

18. randy420

randy420 New Member

In most states a minor can own long guns if bought and / or gifted* by a parent or willing family friend. For this type of firearm purchase to remain legal and not turn into a straw purchase, the money used to buy the gun needs to remain in the accompanying adult when you arrive at the store and during the paperwork and initial purchase. It's also easier if you go to stores that have the guns in front of the counter such as gander mountain, Cabela's, and some Walmart's.