Looking for a long range ar10

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Ultimate_sig, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I'm looking into getting a long range ar10 and have my eyes set on an Armalite super SASS. Does anyone here have any experience with this rifle or opinions on it? I love the ar platform and want to stay with that so I'm not really looking into getting a bolt gun. Is the 308 valuable at hitting 1000 yards and still maintain accuracy?

Sent from my LGMS500 using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

.308 is capable but at that distance its going to need 20 moa rail or mounts and a high dollar scope with a lot of adjustment .
    With a 200 yard zero you looking at 30 feet of drop and velocity will be at that low 1200 fps range but it will get there . Plenty of people still use it for long distance but its just not as efficient as some of the other newer cartridges out there

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I can get the SASS New in box for around $2400, do you think it's worth the money or is there another ar10 I should be looking at?

4. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Nothing wrong with Armalite, but you're paying for a name that won't really give you anymore benefit to get you what you want.
    Take a look also at DPMS LR308. I hear it's quite accurate without the cost and good reviews.

I also hear Bushmaster and RRA has a new AR10 out.

5. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I currently have the recon 308. Its a great rifle but I don't feel it will reach out past 600 accurately

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

This is it

Attached Files:

7. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo New Member

As mentioned the DPMS has a good reputation for accuracy. That said I'm in the process of building a S&W M&P 10 for the same purpose; although for a little more conservative distances of between 600 - 800 meters (I plan on a 7mm-08 build to get me out to 1200 meters later; FYI this can also be done on the AR platform). Too soon to give you any worthwhile information on my M&P 10 build but if you're not in a hurry you can watch here over the next few months as my build develops. I think the M&P 10 has a lot going for it; just too new to have any worthwhile data out there yet so I took a chance on seeing what I could get out of it. Unfortunately I don't have a 600+ yard range anywhere near me so I'm having to shoot on a friends land when I can (which right now is rare due to turkey season). In a way I'm kind of glad of the rare chances to shoot and test because it slows down my cash outlay of the mods I'm looking to test along the way. I really want to see where the money is best spent (first hand) along the way charting the benefit of each mod as I go.

All this said; I'll be watching your thread to see how you make out as well :)

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I like this rifle a lot, it's not heavy and feels great. Also a good looking rifle. It does have a 16inch barrel so I feel thst hurts it at long range so I'm thinking of getting a sass. It has a much longer barrel so it will reach out further. But now I'm debating on going up in caliber to a 6.5 credmore to rrach out past 1000 yards. If I do decide on the 6.5, I'll probably reload and build my own ar. Decisions decisions

9. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

DPMS had one under $1000 that I hear is a good deal. Leaves plenty room for optics. I considered one a while back and found a deal on a nice Rock River Arms WITH a nice optic for 2200. I also saw a Sig for 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have the LR308 . Its very very accurate . Mine is set up pretty heavy 11.5# . The PRS stock adds alot of weight but this thing is solid and does not move on the bench . [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The 6.5 Creedmoor,260 Remington,or even the 7mm-08 would be a better choice of caliber for shooting 1k yards.
    I've been very happy with my DPMS LR-260H,but I bought this model strictly for a hunting rifle,not for over 600 yards. I wanted an AR-10 platform rifle,that was shorter and lighter weight,so I went with this one. If DPMS offered the same rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor,I would've bought one,but they only offer it in a 24" heavy barreled set-up.

[​IMG]

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

There's an AR10 that's "short-range"?:confused:

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Why not just get another upper half for your Recon? How far have you pushed the Recon? What features do you see in a SASS to get you to 1000 yds? Identify those features and look for them in another upper.

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I don't know about that,but I use mine at shorter ranges kill'n hogs,deer,and other critters. I'll shoot it at longer ranges for fun shooting my metal gongs,but that's not why I purchased mine.:p

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've dealt with AR-10s just enough to offer some decent advice, but not enough to be taken as any sort of expert. The AR-10 market is tricky. You need to do a fair amount of personal homework in order acheive the performance you desire within most mortal budgets. Here's a few general points worth considering:

• Everything doesn't fit from one brand to the next. Schemes and designs vary, as do the mags and accessories that will fit them.

• An AR-10 can be a legit 1000yd rifle. Or it can struggle with consistency beyond 200.

• Like most 308's (with a 1:10-12 twist), 168gr match ammo seems to be the sweet spot.

• You can spend $1000 or $6000. There are good guns for $1K, but few among them will be precise at 1K yards.

• If you want repeatable precision beyond 500yds, you're looking at $2-4K with accessories and glass. I'm sure there are some rifles (and shooters) that can do better with less...but that's hardly the norm.

An FN SCAR 17s with a 4X ACOG seems like a pretty ideal AR-10 setup for my tastes. But that's about $4000. So when I spring for a $2K (more within reach for me) 308 setup I'm kinda leaning toward an M1A at the moment. That's just what suits me. I probably lack the skill, time, necessity, and persistence to become a competent 500-1000yd shooter. So an M1A would essentially out-shoot my own abilities for the foreseeable future. YMMV.

16. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Well axxe gave me some very sound advice, I'm not going to just grab a rifle and jump to 1k, I'm going to crawl before I take baby steps. My first rifle of choice was the armalite sass. The a series take 3 party mags. It tgen I looked into the gap 10 and I'm on the fence between the two. In the mean time I'm selling a few guns to get the set up I want. I'm torn between some fine glass as well. But after I tinker with them I'll find what fits.

17. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  18. I never quite understand this mindset.

You can't interchange parts between Sako, Browning, Remington, and Winchester bolt rifles.

You can't interchange parts between an FN SCAR17 and any other manufacturer. You can't interchange parts with an HK 91 and other rifles - so why is this a mandatory feature for the AR10 style rifle?

The fact is - multi-manufacturer parts interchangeability with AR10 style rifles is NOT a feature of the that kind of rifle. You either accept the fact that AR10 style .308's are manufacturer-specific and get on with owning one - or you set up a metric for acceptance that cannot be met and complain about it when reality doesn't meet expectations.

I own a Les Baer .308 Sniper and when I bought it only expected that it would accept MagPul .308 magazines, and a few other Magpul parts; which is exactly the same as I would expect buying a bolt rifle, SCAR17, or HK 91. I have no expectations of swapping parts in and out of it from multiple manufacturers.

If you're waiting for some entity to setup "standards" that every AR .308 will conform to - you're going to have to get a service branch to write a formal Mil-Spec standard; put out a request for proposal for a rifle to meet the Mil-Spec; issue a request for quotation for a contract; and finally - issue a contract for a substantial amount of rifles.

You figure that's going to happen any time soon? I don't.

If you want the features available in the AR10 style rifle, then you choose the manufacturer / rifle you like best and just go with it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  19. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

The reason I want to stay with at platform is that there are so many modifications That can be done to. There are tons of ar15 parts that work with ar10. I'm not at all worried about the minor things. But if I did get a sass It would be the a series so my options are open on mags

20. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

buckhorn, I think you misunderstood me. I like to add accessories to my AR's, and I probably have 20 different manufacturers parts on one gun. The AR15's parts are all interchangeable, irregardless of the brand. For as much money as .308 parts are, I would want to be sure in advance of compatibility with the firearm in question. I still toss the idea in my head every now and again about owning one. I just haven't committed to it at this time.