Looking for a knife

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by tCan, Sep 23, 2012.

1. tCan

tCan Active Member

I want a knife similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Elk-Ridge-Fix...8454143&sr=8-7&keywords=elk+ridge+field+knife

But made from real steel and not pot metal. I dont have a problem with 440C, but A&B is junk. Since it doesn't claim C, I'm assuming A or B.

But it has to be fixed, with a more or less straight back, and fully fine edge, blade length of ~3.5-4.5inch. Max price $35.

I'll get this if something doesn't turn up. 420HC is good stuff.
    http://www.amazon.com/Buck-PakLiteT...8&qid=1348454320&sr=1-2&keywords=buck+paklite

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

working on my own right now.

20120923_212314-1.jpg

3. tCan

tCan Active Member

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

5. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Just wasted $40 on a gerber knife. I won't be buying any anytime soon. It took a whopping 3 days of normal use for it to get so dull it wouldn't cut. My kershaw hasn't been touched in over a year and is still shaving sharp.

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

My kershaw won't hold an edge.

7. kycol

kycol New Member

Look for this thread

'Knife trick':

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Never been able to get any of my Kershaws to hold a tip. Granted, the last one made it somewhere between 5-6 years before it broke. Tightening a screw on a light switch plate.

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Breaking tips is usually using a knife as a pry-bar; a job that thin, hardened steel doesn't work well for.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

One broke while trying to lift an intake manifold. One broke whole tightening a light switch plate screw, and one broke while cutting a bit of nylon twine.

I still like Kershaw, but nowadays I just expect the tip to break and I plan on filing a new tip on the blade.

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

With a $35. budget, your options are extremely limited. Take a look at the Swedish Mora line of knives. They're excellent quality and inexpensive. Otherwise save up some more money and buy a better quality knife.

12. Longrange

Longrange New Member

What are you going to be using it for? If it's just an edc blade Mora is a poor choice, they are great knives but not for edc. If a folder works for you , check out Sog, the Aiguille is a great edc blade and in the price range .

13. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

27$

image-2916940899.jpg

And 51$

image-2908140644.jpg

For the price you cant beat a gerber. Both the knives i carry are gerbers. My hunting knife is a buck 110 backed up by my gerber profile folder.

14. tCan

tCan Active Member

I cant seem to find this knife.... I've heard of SOG, but cant find that knife.

15. tCan

tCan Active Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

So many of the so called 'name brand' knives today are made in china, but their asking 'U.S. made' prices. I've got some old Case pocket knives that were made here & hold an edge & some of their knives are still made here, but the company was bought out, so I don't know about the new ones.

Twenty years ago, a good fixed blade knife would be $40-$50. No telling what they'd cost now.

17. tCan

tCan Active Member

China's been buying up steel like mad. Their ability to produce a quality knife for cheap is not to be doubted. Most American manufacturing has ceased to exist. The gun industry is an exception, but if we had to go to war with China tomorrow, we'd be screwed. Their manufacturing ability far exceeds ours. The manufacturing prowess that allowed the manufacture of such guns as the M1 Carbine no longer exists.

The concept was carried through with the AR platform, but I don't think we can keep pace with the Chinese if we had to.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  18. Longrange

Longrange New Member

Stupid auto correct, sorry for that. Check out the sog, sogzilla. I carry one for edc, holds a great edge and sharpens easily. I also carry and old Sharp folder on my belt. It was my dads edc blade before he passed away. The old sharp is a beast for a little folder.