Looking for a holster

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME, Apr 29, 2011.

1. CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME

CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME New Member

Any recommendations for a holster. I have a smith and wesson m&p 40. I have been told that Galco has some good ones. I am not sure if I want an iwb or owb. If owb then I prefer belt over paddle but nor sure which one is best for the price. I am on a budget of about 40-60 dollars. Any ideas?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Check out freefall in the DIY section. He makes some and may be able to help.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Most of us have this thing called a "holster drawer". They contain assorted holsters accumulated over the years. Some are for guns we no longer have and some are the failures that didn't achieve the intended results. Stick around long enough, acquire some more handguns and you too will eventually have a holster drawer of your own. ;)

4. CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME

CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME New Member

Looking forward to it. :) I am only 17 right now and only have 4 guns that I have bought. But trying to collect and shoot as many as I can. Holster for each is the hard part. Everyone suggests something different.

5. CA357

That's why we have holster drawers. :D

6. WDB

WDB New Member

I'm not up on the laws in Maine but expect at 17 years old CC is out of the question so a good belt holster/open cary is what you should use if that is legal for someone of your age in your state.

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

[​IMG]

8. freefall

freefall New Member

Pretty appealing to walk into a store and try on holsters til you find one you think you like. I've rarely heard anyone complain about either a Galco or Bianchi. You can pay more and wait longer and get something a little nicer but whether the difference is worth it has been debated. I just like making my own.

9. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I like the Galco Yauqi Slide. It falls with in your budget.:D

10. WDB

WDB New Member

Kind of my point a few post ago yet it continues on:confused: Who is giving advice to a 17 year old for holster for a M&P 40:mad: He can't leagaly own this firearm but some are offering advice on the best holster. I expect it is the same that offered advice for his other thread asking for add on's for the pistol. In that post he didn't express he was 17. I didn't see an introduction post by the OP but in this thread has stated he is 17. His profile shows he is 17 but how often do you check a profile before you respond to a post?? I see nothing but bad mojo comming from any response.l

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks for pointing that out, I didnt catch that particular post.

12. CA357

I read that the OP is seventeen and it didn't click or send up a red flag for me. However, information about holsters is pretty innocuous and the question seems reasonable to me.

13. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Hell man didn't you ever dream. When I was a kid caring adults explained many things about life. I learned about holsters from a retired FBI agent, and more than a few old cowboys. That was before all this PC close the cover before stricking BS.:eek: This 17 year old will be old enough for an M16 in a few months and free trip to some damn Muslum country. And you are concerned about 2 Ozs. of leather shaped like a pistol.:confused:

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Thanks for them memories there Durango, but you still missed the point that "he bought" theses handguns at 17. That's not a very common thing. ;)

After checking, the CCW age limit in Maine is 18.

In Maine one must be 21 or over to buy a pistol or ammo from a FFL and 18 to buy a rifle or shotgun. However, you can buy a handgun through a private party or have a parent buy the gun and sign it over to you. You still cant buy handgun ammo though until 21...or one can illegally buy the ammo through a private party, or have a parent buy it for them.

15. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

So it's like CA. You can open carry, but it can't be loaded? :rolleyes:

I have no problems with this thread. Many kids have 'bought' their first .22 at 10 or 12 through a parent. Yeah, technically the parent owns the gun and lets the kid use it, but...:rolleyes:

I just remembered buying .22 shells at Kmart when I was 16. They had a sign saying you had to be 18, and a log book you had to sign for their CYA, but never actually checked your ID. Oh and while righting that I just remembered Wally World when you buy .22lr they ask you if it's for a pistol or hand gun, cause you have to be 21 to buy it if it's for a hand gun, but it's ok if you tell me it for a rifle.

Stupid libs!

16. mcfroggin

mcfroggin New Member

I like Crossbreed holsters. I've got a couple now and they are pretty durable. My only complaint is that they are molded to fit "a" gun. Not interchangeable if you have an arsenal.

17. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Let us not beat this tired old horse to death. But what in the hell does Maine Gun Laws have to do with owning a holster? I did not not give him information on how to buy a handgun. It is damn funny a 17 year old can own a car, get married, and have a family. He can even join the military. But our anti-gun thinking will not allow him to own a simple handgun. And to add insult some would even ban a holster.:eek:

18. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Now who's beating a dead horse? :rolleyes: ^^^

[​IMG]