Looking for a gun safety course, general recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by RomeSC, Feb 2, 2012.

1. RomeSC

RomeSC New Member

Ahoy-hoy,

My wife and I are taking the first step in getting pistol permits, and apparetly in my county of NY state that means taking a handgun safety course.

The local pistol permit office emailed me a list of about 40 different providers of the course, and from what i can tell there are two different trends: single indicidual by name, or a group (like a pistol club or shooting range) offering the course.

I'd love some input from this forum's members. Do you all recommend individuals or groups for the training course, and did you end up forming any type of training relationship with whoever taught your safety course?

Thanks in advance :)

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

its a nys thing not county. i signed up for mine at the clerks office when i picked up my permit application. my wife jusy did hers last week. in our expriences the course is not super in depth. mostly covers safety, and the laws. its fine to go by your self. or friends if you want company.. if you are super new to shooting it may be a few things to learn... if you have any exprience then its more on the boring side.... notice the key word handgun safety course

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would always prefer one on one instruction in any subject matter, guns, algebra, dead language, shakespeare, it doesn't matter, but I'm just that type of person. Some may prefer the chance to socialize outside of classes or on breaks.

Another plus to going with an individual trainer, you could get a discount for both you and your wife going to the same person.

4. RomeSC

RomeSC New Member

I have never shot a pistol of any type... apparently it would have been illegal for me to do so.

But I found a handgun safety course that seems awesome. I called around and got info on 4 different trainers. 3 were all the same. The 4th is an individual that conducts the courses at a local shooting range. In addition to the 3 hour standard course he also:

1. Has you practice on the shooting range with airsoft handguns to critique and correct your form etc

2. Includes application photos for free ($4 at permit office)

3. Includes a free 30 minute shooting session voucher for after your get the permit where you can test out different types of handguns for free so you learn what you want to buy for yourself!

It seems GREAT! and it was $5 cheaper than the other trainers I called! My wife and I are very excited!

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh your screwed now :) Sounds like the beginnings of an obsession...

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

im jealous that sounds totally awesome. enjoy.. its way better than the one we had

7. RomeSC

RomeSC New Member

Don't have the money to become obsessed at this point in life :)

But I am prone to such things. I got into some computer games and ended up learning how to build entire gaming systems and had a minor PC hardware obsession for a while.

But that could neeeeever happen with firearms... neeeverrrr......
    >_>

<_<

>_>

>_<

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Oh yeah... you're screwed.

Welcome to the addiction.