Looking for a good snubby for big hands

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by BigT, Jul 18, 2010.

1. BigT

BigT New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and let me start by saying it is the most beautiful Gun forum I have ever seen. I love the way its put together and what not. Now on to the subject at hand. I read the post by Canebrake and just want to throw that out their. Now I am looking for a first SD weapon, I love revolvers, the looks, they are just beautiful!

I prefer double action revolvers. I never shot a handgun of any kind but know my calibers well and fully what any gun is capable of. Now, having said that I was wondering if a .38 is okay for me to start off with. I have been held up 3 times coming home from work. Its a 2 mile walk at 9-10 at night. I am tired of being walked on and scared for my life.

The only thing I carry are 2 fold out knives. One is almost like a switchblade, but not quit. Anyways it does little good when your getting chased by a guy way bigger than you (I am 6'3 300lbs and yes many are bigger than me) chasing me down with guns. I NEED ALL OF YOUR HELP! I need a concealable weapon that will be ok for my hands (fat Italian here)...lol. Already I have seen some guns like the S&W models 442, 637, 638, Ruger LCR, and Taurus Models 856, 85, 850 CIA, and 851 on the net....any suggestions for my big hands?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you can find a range that rents guns, I would try what they offer. Different grips can change how the handgun fits you hand.
    A .38 Special is a decent SD round, but also consider a .357 Magnum. The .357 will also chamber and shoot the .38. I recommend this so if you decide you want a little more "oomph" later, you won't be looking at another gun purchase.
    Take a firearms course. Other students may have a handgun you could try.
    Good luck!

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Swing by the introductions area and let everyone know you are here.

I'm with dan on this one and would lean towards a 357. You start out shooting 38s and if you want to step up later you can without the need of a new purchase. I would also steer away from Taurus. IMO, you'll be taking a 50/50 chance as to whether or not you get a good weapon. Some people have great luck with them, others get lemons. You can't go wrong with a Smith or a Ruger, both make great revolvers.
    Before you make that magical purchase, see if you can find a range with some rental guns so you can try them out. Do you know anyone that shoots?

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I recommend you plan now for a 357. It is probably the most versatile caliber for any gun chambering. That said, I like the Ruger SP101. It is not that much bigger than the J-frames or LCR, but has the heft to handle magnum loads and not break your hands and wrists. Just wait till you shoot a magnum. It's an eye opening experience and you want to make sure you have a weapon that is manageable. Here is a link to my range report on the SP101

Also keep in mind you can change out the grips on most common revolvers out there today. That will make a big difference in how they fit your hands.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The last 3 guys summed it up rather well. You can make a small revolver fit a big hand by changing grips. Cannot make a big revolver fit a little hand the same way.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That is a great gun. I have the one with the completely concealed hammer. Great gun. I can say nothing bad about it. That is rare for me. People here know that I will trash talk a gun if I have a reason. I also don't buy Taurus.

7. rugermatt

rugermatt New Member

my livelyhood relies on a s&w airlight pd double action only with .38 special +p golden saber rounds. it is pretty small, but very concealable.there aer many options like this, and a .357 would not add much weight or length. the other pretty much summed it up. i carry in a leather belt holster and i forget i even have it at times, an untucked t-shirt covers it. one up on the stay away from taurus, they are hit or miss, and i want my weapon to hit every time without a glitch.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Let me guess...Delaware, robbed 3 times, scared for your life...Wilmington? If so, check out Targetmaster in Chadds Ford PA (202 North of Naamans Rd.) You can check out an array of guns and rent a few to shoot at their indoor range. Get a feel for different grip sizes and calibers.

Welcome aboard...

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

How about a Ruger SP101 2" and add hogue grips. ;)