Looking for a good LBK

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ccase39, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I just finished a build on a PSA lower. I built it with a RRA LBK w 2 stage trigger. I got the bug and today bought a stripped RRA lower. Can someone recommend a good LBK that equals the integrity of the RRA lower? I could always go w another RRA LBK but kinda want something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

What is "the integrity" of an RRA lower?

It's a basic entry level lower. The same as a $60 PSA or $90 Spike's. Not cerakoted, billet, or glazed in unobtanium. It's just like any other basic forged lower, with a logo you either do or do not like. Please understand that. RRA makes a decent product, but they're a company I'm not fond of dealing with. If you like the roll mark/company and find the price agreeable, it'll be a fine choice for your rifle. But if I'm building a $1200+ rifle, I'll build it on a sexier platform (Umbrella, Noveske, etc) that will pay dividends if I ever decide to sell it.

I recommend PSA lower build/parts kits. If you're buying a LBK, simply choose the one with the stock you prefer. I like the PSA/Magpul STR kits for many builds, and they can be had for around $150 when on sale. For whatever reason, PSA's milspec triggers have always been pretty great in my experience. I've worked with DD, RRA, Spike's, and CMMG LPKs...none of them are terrible. But for the last couple years I've built exclusively with PSA kits. Best bang for your buck. In my opinion their price works for a $600-800 build, yet their quality works for a $2K build.

3. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

By integrity of the RRA I meant something of the same quality. PSA OR SPIKES but not a P-tac or something of the like.

I went with a spikes LPK. Got it at $70. I will just swap out the trigger group from the the PSA build that I put the two stage trigger in.
    I also can tell a difference in quality between the PSA and the RRA lower. It has an overall better finish and the machining is a touch better. It is a little heavier which can be a good or a bad thing. No it's not a Noveske or Seekins which I really really like but I think it deserves better than generic parts.

4. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Not that it matters now but I've use dozens of CMMG, PSA, and DPMS LPK's in rifles I've built for customers. The CMMG are my favorite. Their machining allows me to get a much smoother trigger job. I've recently started using SWAT LPK's and I would say their's are just as smooth as the CMMG kits.

5. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Sounds good. I'll try one of those on my next build.
    The CMMG really interests me. How do the trigger groups comparing?

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Regardless cheap or expensive build i'm doing, i always use Spike's LPK. I do get the Spike's LPK without FCG (Fire Control Group) most of the time as i will be using the ALG Combat or Geissele triggers. Spike's LPK quality never failed me.. not once ever.

7. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

That's exactly what I got. I did get the FCG and swapped it out with the RRA 2 stage that I had just put in a PSA lower. Now I gotta get out to range and shoot both!
    I am considering getting a 6.8 Grendal upper down the road.

8. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

That's one thing I like about JoeBob's, when you buy an ALG FCG you are given an option to purchase the rest of the LPK for $25.00

I don't know who makes the LPK, but the quality is on par or just a little better than the PSA kits I've used in the past.