Looking for a deer rifle for my wife

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by buckhuntr, Jan 23, 2011.

1. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My wife decided my Remington 742 in 30-06 is too heavy for her to hunt with, and she's wanting something lighter. The recoil doesn't bother her, just the weight of the gun (9 lbs empty). She wants to stay with an auto-loader. The only lighter semi-autos I can think of are the Remington carbines (basically just a 742/750 with an 18.5" barrel vs. the 22" barrel of the regular version) and the BAR ShortTrac (which is kinda pricey). Oh, and she's a lefty.

I'm kinda thinking if we go with a .308, the shorter action will cut some weight also.

The ARs, AKs, and other military-look guns ain't happening, as neither of us feel they are attractive aesthetically, and not anything we want to hunt with.

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

My suggestion is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye. All I got for you, it is purty. :D

Sorry, didn't read the autoloading part. Oh well. I tried to be helpful.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

3. buckhuntr

Yeah, she says when she pulls the trigger, she wants another round to be in place without her having to work a lever, pump or bolt. :rolleyes:

So being the loving hubby that I am (especially since she's very good about supporting my hobbies and stuff), I try to keep her happy. ;)

4. powg

powg New Member

semi-auto for wife

you kinda painted into corner on this one ...a short action would save some on weight...as a lefty i feel your pain ...although being kinda ''pricey'' the browning short trac left handed version would fit the bill...you are fortunant to have a wife that hunts with you. that in itself is worth the price of admission. as far as calibers my pick .308 ..as your thread said she wasn't recoil sensitive . the ruger mini thirty in 7.62x39 would be another option if your shots were kept under 150-200 yards ...using good quality hunting (sp) ammo

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Does she think that, if she misses with the first shot, she'll have a chance for another?

6. buckhuntr

She had time for 2 shots this past season. She missed, though.
    :eek:

No ARs, Tango.
    :p

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Why not?

They fit exactly what your looking for?

8. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

9. buckhuntr

The AR is too pricey, even more than the BAR, and Wife said no, it wasn't a deer rifle. I tend to agree. Also, ARs barely weigh less than the 742 that she's been toting.

I'd go for the .308, but I've always felt that the .243 is marginal as a whitetail round. Shot placement is critical, much more so than with the .308 or 30-06. I used to hunt with a guy who used a .243. He always had to do a lot more tracking than the rest of us with our bigger calibers.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

why not add a ruger 44 carbine to the armory?? the one with the tube feed. they can still be found if you look. its like the perfect classic look short range deer buster. fun as all get out to shoot. lightweight fast and accurate.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Not sure how an AR-10 in 7mm-08 or 308 is not a deer rifle? I can understand the price thing.

12. powg

powg New Member

semi auto dream gun, man/woman /youth

now if we could get the mfg's to re -design the ruger .44 carbine . re-introduce /produce it in .357 ''maximum'' cartridge with 20'' barrel ,synthetic adjustable blackhawk axiom stock . put a 2x7 scope on it .the perfect medium range deer rifle ....they could'nt build em fast enough.

13. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Something light in .243 Win. with a corrected pull length for her (if she needs it) I think would fit the bill just right. Also, for a nicer set up for her, have the factory recoil pad changed out for a Decel or Limbsaver pad. She'll love you (possibly even more) for for it.

Just my .02 cents worth.

14. buckhuntr

It just doesn't look like a deer gun. A perception thing. When I am walking thru the woods looking for 4-footed prey, I don't want everybody I might come across to tell me the Guard bivouac was last weekend, I want them to look at my gun and ask "didja get one yet?"

Black guns might be all right for hunting, and I know everybody and his brother has or wants to have one these days, but JeezLouise, them puppies are plug ugly compared to a classic checkered-walnut-stocked rifle like O'Conner used (and I know he didn't do semi-autos, but when he was pictures with a rifle, you could tell it was a deer or pronghorn rifle). :p

15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You looking for new or used?

16. buckhuntr

Either. She's being pickier than RSG would be. :rolleyes: "The Ruger looks too plain." :rolleyes:

There's a NIB Browning ShortTrac (Left hand) in .270 WSM on Gunbroker, no bids yet, at $840. More than we're wanting to spend, though it looks to be just what she's looking for.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

i disagree with that :) the ar15-a1 has beautiful lines and symetric elegance. i like my old winchester with the deep blue but i think my ar15s are better looking :)

thought about a browning auto loader??

18. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

Not recoil sensitive? Wants a lightweight gun? Single shot shotgun. Huge bang, lots of power, easy to haul. Wood and blued steel, just like a 'real' gun.

Make the first one count.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Product Info

OH GOOD LORD.

They are not plug and play you still have to mount a scope and sight it in just like any other rifle.

Looks like your down to a craptastic Remington 750 or a Browning BAR.....

$1200 for a BAR and $900 for an AR HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM..........

Just think it should get a fair shake...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011