Looking for a ccw.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by atic45, Mar 31, 2012.

1. atic45

atic45 New Member

Does anyone carry the Remington 1911r1
    Or the kimber 1911 or a Taurus 1911
    Or a spring xd or xdm?
    I'm looking for a good ccw and my eyes are more towards those guns really caught on the rem 1911r1 can anyone help??

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Some things you might want to consider are weight, size and magazine capacity...unfortunately the 1911 loses in all three categories.

Hi capacity polymer pistols like the xd and xdm are several ounces lighter than an all metal 1911. Also, the available 3" barrels and shorter grip length on the sub compact models aid in concealment. That being said, the 1911 is a damn sexy piece of hardware and Remington got it right from all reviews that I have read. If you have the build and stamina to hump it around all day by all means go for it.

3. jsbowman

jsbowman New Member

I like my diamondback db9 it has been reliable since day 1. Can carry it in my front pocket

4. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Jpyle pretty much covered it.

A self-defense tool doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. And it has to be reliable. As nice as many of the 1911 offerings out there are, I'll take a lighter, higher capacity polymer semi-auto any day.

I personally carry an XD-40 service (4" bbl) in a SuperTuck Deluxe IWB holster. I occasionally swap out an XD-9 subcompact. They are available from Springfield Armory with tritium night sights as an option, or there are many other aftermarket sights available as well, such as TFOs.

There are several torture tests on Glocks and XDs out there that demonstrate these guns reliability. To steal a line from Timex®, they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

Other manufacturers have similar models as well, but I just happen to be more familiar with the XD, as I have carried it since 2003.

5. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II, it is easy to conceal, good shooter. I'm saving up for a Colt Commander now.

Can't help you on the Remington, the Taurus is cheaper but has some potential, the XD and XDM are fine if you like them.

Try to rent one or borrow one to try before you buy if you can.

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

My opinion:
    The best ccw is the one that will be with you when you need it. I carry a Kimber Ultra (alloy frame) every day. It's on me when I tile the floor, work on the car, work the tractor, or go to the store. The holland holster is the key to an easy carry. If it's not at hand when you need it, you might as well have a cucumber in the refridgerator.

The best ccw is one that can quickly and accurately deployed. The 1911 is just the best choice for me. I shoot best, and shoot most with the 1911.

In the past, a 2 1/2" SW 19 worked fine in the trim bianchi holster.

7. Jamesmay

Jamesmay New Member

I carry a Ruger SR9C with the 10 round mag and one chambered. It stays in a Tommy Theis IWB and at my side all day. It is your choice. If you are not comfortable with it in all aspects, you wont carry. It will do you no good. I love 1911s and I am told that they have smaller models for ccw. Try em out. Just remember, be comfortable, be confident, and be safe.

8. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I conceal carry the Phoenix HP22, works fine for me.
    Easy to hide, smooth to shoot, one shot center mass and it's over.

Attached Files:

9. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

I would question the wisdom of selecting a .22LR as my self defense handgun, but, as the saying goes, the .22 in your pocket beats the .45 you left on your dresser any day......

10. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

Incapacitation from a .22 (short, long rifle)

# of people shot - 154
    # of hits - 213
    % of hits that were fatal - 34%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.38
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 31%
    One-shot-stop % - 31%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 76%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 60%

11. utf59

utf59 New Member

I do carry an XD(M), the 4.5" 9mm. I can shoot it well, and it holds a LOT of rounds. It's a pretty big gun, but I'm willing to carry the weight and dress to cover it.

You've listed a pretty wide spread of 1911s. If you search on here, you can find opinions on all of those.

If you haven't shot any of the guns you've listed, find a way to do that (rent, borrow, etc.). Then narrow down your choices. If you've narrowed the list of firearms on the market down to the list above by looking at, handling, and even shooting them, that's great. If not, you might be better served by broadening your search pattern.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have a Remy R1. Nice entry level 1911 but not one I would put my life in its care. Don't get me wrong, but here in South Florida a FS steel 1911 is tough to carry/conceal. for summer I carry my LCR in a Remora. When I wear heaver clothes I am much more comfortable with my Colt LW Commander in a Milt Sparks IWB.

13. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

As long as you're happy with your choice, that's what counts.

But those statistics don't make a .22LR stack up to 9mm/.40SW/.45ACP, or even .38Special/.380auto in terms of mass, depth of penetration, and size of wound channel.

Don't mean to turn this thread into a debate over caliber choice, and I'll concede that a hit with a .22LR beats a miss with a .50 Beowolf, but if I'm going to go to the trouble of carrying around a firearm for self-defense, there are better cartridges out there than the .22LR, particularly considering the smaller, lighter, easily concealable pistols available today in higher caliber.

14. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I posted that article a long time ago! I'm glad it comes back to the surface! It really goes to show you compared to the 9mm, .40 and .45, the .22 incapacitated the aggressor in less rounds. The bigger calibers all took on avg over 2 shots. Even though the data is there, I don't know if i would carry a .22 for self defense.

15. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Incapacitation from a .45 ACP

# of people shot - 209
    # of hits - 436
    % of hits that were fatal - 29%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 2.08
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 14%
    One-shot-stop % - 39%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 85%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 51%

I rest my case and choice of defensive carry weapon.

16. ZackBlack

ZackBlack New Member

I'm 5'10" 200lbs and I carry a full size 5" para ord 1911 GI .45 everyday no problems. Like its been said before. Most important its gotta be something you will carry, and something you can hit what your aiming at with.

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Good, the OP did not ask about a 22 as a CCW ;)

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

To bad .22 aren't centerfired. Anyone seen the 22 TCM?? .22 jacketed bullets in a stretched 9mm case. 40gr at 2000fps . Rock island is selling there 1911 also with a 9mm barrel. With the right bullets it could make a interesting defence round,except it does tend to punch thru steel.

19. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Like I said before, I'm glad you're happy with your decision.

The military and thousands of law enforcement agencies across this country would beg to differ.....

20. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

That would be the perfect round for when the crackhead in a suit of shining armour doesn't listen to "stop or I'll shoot"