Firearms Talk banner

Looking for a CCW .40 Opinions?

6K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  bowhntr400 
#1 ·
Hello, new to the forum.
Been reading the threads here for the last few days and wanted to pose a question and get some opinions.

Currently own and shoot a Smith & Wesson M&P.40. Very pleased with this and have never had a single problem. This may lead me to be biased toward a S&W future purchase.

I'm at a point where I am going to start carrying all the time and I feel the frame on my current weapon is too big, more than likely I will carry on my ankle.
I like the M&P Sub Compact .40 and while at the range last week I rented the 9mm version, what I didn't like was that my hand didn't fit the short grip well. I realize that I can use a full size magazine to help with this but it's still not the most comfortable solution.
I've looked at Springfield's XD-Sub Compact .40 and their option is to add an extension ring to a magazine for a full grip. Looks to be more comfortable for practice and extra capacity as well. I'd probably practice with 150 rounds on large mags and finish 50 with the short.
I'm wondering if the Springfield "X-tension" would fit the S&W magazines, or even if the Springfield and S&W mags are interchangeable.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=534

I've listed below what I'm considering and would be interested in feed back from those that have handled or carried any of these. Really only considering a .40

Smith & Wesson M&P Sub Compact.40
Sig Sauer P239 DAK
Glock 23 or 27
Springfield Armory XD-Sub Compact .40
Walther P99C AS or PPS .40
Heckler & Koch HK P2000SK .40
Taurus Millennium Pro140BP

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#5 ·
Glock 27 or the Kahr 40 is your best bet. Also, check out the Taurus PT140.

#6 ·
I'm at a point where I am going to start carrying all the time and I feel the frame on my current weapon is too big, more than likely I will carry on my ankle.
The Browning HP is one of the most reliable CCW weapons ever made and easiest to conceal. It has a narrow frame and the grip is about 3/4" shorter than a typical auto like a Glock or 1911 or Beretta 92. They come in both 9mm and .40SW.

#7 ·
...the grip is about 3/4" shorter than a typical auto like a Glock or 1911 or Beretta 92...
But he said he needed a BIGGER grip on a compact gun. :rolleyes:

many companies make grip extensions, and I thought about that for the glock 26 when i was testing it out. The grip was too small, but the gun concealed nicely. maybe do more research online and see if someone is making a true grip extension for the m&p that you like. It will feel more natural than just an extended magazine...

#9 ·
I had the Browning and sold it years ago, Bad move on my part. I am looking to find another one, one of the nicest guns you can carry
One of the best handgun designs out there, in either catridge. It's been called "King of the Nines" for years for a reason. :D

JD

#10 ·
many companies make grip extensions, and I thought about that for the glock 26 when i was testing it out. The grip was too small, but the gun concealed nicely. maybe do more research online and see if someone is making a true grip extension for the m&p that you like. It will feel more natural than just an extended magazine...
Thanks, I had posted a question about the magazines over at http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/ and got this as a response. Looks like the answer. At $12 it's worth a shot.

http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts...0AF0AAB.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=2&productId=2

#11 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a Springfield Armory XD-40 Subcompact. I installed a Houge Jr. grip on it with the extended mags. It fits my hands very well, gives me a solid grip, and great accuracy. I use this gun for cooler weather concealed carry, and a Kel_Tec P-11 for summer carry. I am very pleased with the trigger weight, trigger smoothness, and general overall function of the XD, which is in stark contrast to the Kel-Tec. But the P-11 is smaller, lighter and easier to conceal when I'm in shorts and a light shirt.

Please don't take these comments as anything other than my experience with them, as I am certainly no expert. :D

Take Care,
Joe

#13 ·
Go with the XD Subcom.

The M&P's have experienced a number of quality control problems since their release a few years ago.

The XD's are tried, tested and proven.

Clint Smith owns several XD's, uses them in his training courses at Thunder Ranch, and strongly endorses them.

#14 ·
But he said he needed a BIGGER grip on a compact gun. :rolleyes: ...
I did, but only for the range. :)
Looked at the Kahr this week, got to say (for me) was not impressed. Felt too skinny. I'm sure it's a fine, well made gun, just not right for me.

I'm kinda stuck, as my range doesn't rent the XD and I really want to shoot it before I buy it.

I did find an extension for the M&Pc mags:

http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=2

Looks like a nice solution ... if I go the S&W route.

Have not fondled a Browning HP yet, going to stop by Davi's & Lawmen's this afternoon and see if they have one.

#15 ·
I'm kinda stuck, as my range doesn't rent the XD and I really want to shoot it before I buy it.
Sheesh. What kind of range doesn't have an XD available, which is one of the biggest selling handguns in the country?!

From what I've heard, the XD is outselling both Glock and the M&P on the U.S. civilian market. Of course, Glock still dominates law enforcement sales, with the M&P coming in a distant second.

#17 ·
I have a silly question....why carry on the ankle as your only carry gun? Not that it matters, just curious.

How do you feel about Taurus weapons? If your not opposed to them, the 24-7 pro compact .40 is a very easy to carry 40cal. and not bad on the pocketbook either.

#20 ·
I have the extention from custom carry concepts and it works well. I own the .40 and the .40 compact. I don't carry it on the ankle, but I do carry IWB. custom carry concepts also makes great IWB holsters. I have one and love it. I personally dont care for the ankle carry. I don't even know that my IWB is there most of the time. Let me know what you end up doing.

Jason

#21 ·
Dont agree with the quality problems with the M&P. Yes during the first year or so of their existance that was the case. But not now. Bought my M&P 40 a year ago, have over a thousand rounds through it, and my compact M&P has 300 or so through it. Neither one has had so much as a hiccup! I owned an XD previous to my M&P. Gotta say that I like my M&P better. Not knocking the XD, just saying I like my M&P better.

#23 ·
I would get another M&P so your already used to the mechanics and firing. Although it is good to broaden your horizons. Dont get a Walther P99. They would be perfect firearms if they didnt have so many malfunctions. I wouldnt trust my life with one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.