Looking for a bi-pod ?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, May 19, 2020.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

All the typical types I've looked at just won't work . An odd shaped forearm guard is to blame . I'll settle for a clamp on on type but it's got to handle the recoil of my 45/70 punch . Most of these types I've seen just won't cut it . They are made for the smaller calibers .

So's again , any ideas ? Does'nt have to be very long , like maybe 6 - 10 inches . It's not an absolute need but would just like one .
    The barrel is a 3/4 dia bull barrel , no taper so it should not be that hard to find , HELP ........,

Love and kisses all ....!

towboater and MisterMcCool like this.
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Got a front sling swivel?

dango likes this.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Dango
    Also what 45-70 do you have Brand and Model?

dango likes this.
  4. dango

The last time I used that front swivel screw , it sheared it off clean after minimal use . Need more support than one screw .

5. dango

I bought what I could afford . A $228 CVA single shot "Hunter" model . With all the hardware , scope , mounts , sling , I got maybe $500 into it . For what it is , I'm ok with it !

towboater likes this.
  6. dango

image.jpeg Here's a picture . I just had to get another 45/70 , got too much ammo not to .

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Dango
    As far as the recoil and the Front Swivel Screw. I assume the Stock and Forearm are Plastic? You might have to do some modification inside to make this fit but here is something similar to what you probably need and would work. A Swivel with a reinforcement backer on it inside the Forearm. So what I mean is use the washer item on the inside of the Forearm and with the 45-70 I would probably use a washer between the Stock and the Sling Swivel Sud itself against the itself. As I say, you might have to modify inside the Forearm some. Or clear the area some and use some fiberglass bedding material. These Swivel Studs pictured are made by Swagger. You would just have to check the length of the Threaded Stud Shaft so it would not be too long. As far as Bipods, I have always used Harris Bipods. But I do not like the Harris Bipod that swivels Left and Right. I like the solid one that does not! On the Sniper Rifles we used the Harris Bipod that adjusted 6-9 inches. So you might one that extends more? But for Sniper work the closer from the Rifle to the ground the more accurate it is when using a Bipod.
    Swagger Sling Swivels.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 7:24 PM
    dango likes this.
  8. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Dude your rifle is too light for the caliber to stay put on any bipod. You’re better off shooting it from the knee or some prairie rock.

dango and Oldoutlaw like this.
  9. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I would just buy a shooting stick of some brand.

dango, towboater and Txhillbilly like this.
  10. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

11. dango

I think that might do it just fine Pabushman .........!
    As a matter of fact , I just ordered one . I'll let you guys know how it works out ! :)

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    MisterMcCool, PaBushMan and Shopfox like this.
  12. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I think you will like it. It's also a great accessory to a sand bag. Tried that trick today with it.

Sniper03 and dango like this.