Looking for a an AK

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Bladerunnerfury, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Bladerunnerfury

Bladerunnerfury New Member

My price range is under $800 (could do more if I see fit). Don't care what cal, anything good for ~100 yard hunting.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I like AK's and SKS's. Why choose the AK in your case? If you really want a great hunting rifle at 100 yards, why not look at some bolt-actions or an AR or an SKS?

I have drooled over this rifle http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/vz-58-rifles/ that is neither an AK nor a SKS but shoots 7.62x39mm for cheap plinking.

3. Bladerunnerfury

I like the look and feel of them, I tried one out at dunhams and it was really nice. It also doubles as a good range toy because our big game hunting season is pretty short here.

4. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

Ideally you have roughly three options based on availibility of MOST gun shops at least in my area, for around there you can get a good 'ol WASR-10/63 GP. People say its trash, i have two both run like clockwork 3k+ rounds mine was $600 with just some tapco furniture. Second, is the colorado m&m co. M10-762, like a WASR but comes with goodies, grip rpk sights adj. Stock, and its pretty ;). Or lastly an all stock bulgarian ak. Dont know personally about them much but hear like many ak's theyre great. Usually come just all wood and old school. This is based on 7-9 stores in my locale, please no comments on how not everyone has that many stores blah blah blah. Just my .02 and all of these options run fine and leave you with money left over for backround tax and ammo+mags. Ciao.

5. Bladerunnerfury

I like that WASR! I think wood furniture is nicer on AK's then synthic, and I do woodworking so I can make changes to the stock.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

A buddy has a WASR10 and has been very happy with it for plinking fun, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a 100 yard hunter. As a up-close, reliable, durable hog-hunting rifle, sure.

7. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

I'm somewhat in agreement with Orangello here. An SKS may be a bit better for hunting and if you want a good (real AK):D get a Russian made Saiga. You can put whatever furniture you want on it to change the look.
    Here's a pic of my SKS w/scope and Saiga AK.
    All above is JMO.

[​IMG]

8. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ I like that 20 round magazine on the SKS; i use the plastic Tapco mags. :jealous:

9. Bladerunnerfury

Not familiar with the SKS, but thats a bolt action correct?

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Not really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

It is a semi-auto of the same inexpensive caliber as the AK's, but it came with a non-detachable magazine and is often touted as "a bit more accurate at range" than the typical AK.

It was the "poor man's deer rifle" for many many years here in the South.

A bolt gun with a decent telescopic sight would be more accurate at 100 yards, but the SKS would hold minute-of-deer with decent ammo (softpoint ammo).

11. Threetango

No, semi auto.

12. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Ive been thinking,of getting a saiga, are they accurate

13. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Sorry double post off my awesome phone.

14. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Not bad for an AK. Good gun for the money

15. Threetango

Haven't tried much further than 100 yds and it's good to there , I'm using these.:D
    No failures and the Saiga works every time.

[​IMG]