Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts
I think I would prefer a full size pistol my next question is aside from a polymer gun not rusting is there any advantage in them over a full steel gun? I'm trying to narrow the field as much as possible on what I should look at since there isn't a gun shop near me where I live.
Weight is about it. And keep in mind, less weight isn't always an advantage. Weight helps to absorb recoil. Now although most people would not describe a 9mm as snappy (particularly in the size of guns we are describing), the additional weight of the CZ can make it a slightly more stable shooting platform. The downside to weight comes into play if you want to carry the pistol.

sometimes there is a comprimise between weight and size. a lighter weight polymer type pistol will be much easier to carry all day long vs. a heavier all steel pistol, but the trade-off is in how well the deal with recoil. on most 9mm pistols, this isn't near as big an issue, as the 9mm is pretty tame in recoil. but step up to the 40 or the 45, and it does come into play. my XD 45 compact is more telling of it's recoil, vs. my full size 1911 45. so i know that i need to spend more time in practice with the XD 45 than my 1911 to be able to handle the additional recoil of a smaller and lighter weight pistol in 45.

CipsterX said:
So when the maniac takes a butchers knife and hacks off your left arm who racks the slide for you when you need to put them down?

Not trying to be a smart *** but you won't have time to rack the slide and or defend yourself from certain death.
If you're actually worried about maniacs with butcher knives in your neighborhood, I think its time to move.

I can't think if a situation that I would REALISTICALLY be in where i would need the extra have second it takes to rack my slide... Just sayin

In my pocket and in the nightstand, there is always a round in the chamber and safety on. That way I don't have to worry about butcher-knife wielding maniacs. :rolleyes:

Hi guys I am new to the forum I am looking for a 9mm pistol that is reliable, accurate, and good for home defense. I am still relatively new to firearms but have experience shooting .22s I have seen a couple pistols I liked but I am not a fan of the decocker safety. I realize no safety can be perfect but I would feel much more comfortable with a manual safety. I am thinking I have a budget of no more then $500 any thoughts or am I asking for to much ? Any help would be much appreciated thank you.
I'm relatively new to guns myself and all you'll get with this thread is a lot of bias advice. There are literally hundreds of 9mm pistols to choose from. At least you have the caliber picked. Next is to narrow down your preference. Metal or polymer. Semi or revolver. Full or compact. Nickel, Stainless, or Blued finish. Once that's done, there will be many guns that fit your specific criteria. When you're down to two or three guns to choose from, then create a thread for actual gun owners to share their feedback...

Before you buy, try a full size 1911 in 9mm...
I second that... 1911 in a 9mm is my favorite. That's why I've decided to get another one instead of getting it in a .45.

I'm sorry but I just cld not have a 1911 in a 9. Feel like I'm doing the 1911 an injustice by putting a 9 in it.
I see your point; a bit wimpish for such a big metal frame with a small bullet, but have tried shooting one? I have not shoot any other 1911 9mm, but my Springfield is so sweet and smooth. The action of the slide offers an amazing feel and like so, my grouping results sends me home smiling from ear to ear.

GunHo said:
I see your point; a bit wimpish for such a big metal frame with a small bullet, but have tried shooting one? I have not shoot any other 1911 9mm, but my Springfield is so sweet and smooth. The action of the slide offers an amazing feel and like so, my grouping results sends me home smiling from ear to ear.
Please I didn't mean it as wimpish cause I have a friend that has the Springfield and it shoots great. I have just been raised on the 1911 .45. Plus you can still put something or someone down with a good placed shot.

If you're actually worried about maniacs with butcher knives in your neighborhood, I think its time to move.

I can't think if a situation that I would REALISTICALLY be in where i would need the extra have second it takes to rack my slide... Just sayin
i hope that you aren't in that situation where you need that extra second to rack the slide, because you just became a statistic. that extra second trying to rack the slide, could be the difference between life or death. my pistols are always locked and loaded. most likely any situation between you and a BG, is going to be up close and personal. imagine it this way, you get jumped and have to fend off the attacker with your left hand or arm, now how does a person draw and rack the slide with only one hand? not likely. so now with an empty chamber, your pistol has now just become an expensive club. but it being chambered, disengage the saftey if so required, and just shove it forward and firing, well the BG just started having major problems rather than you. but you are welcome to do it your way, i'll do it my way.

I agree with access it takes almost 1.4 seconds for you to react to a situation now add another second to that and the BG has a 2.4 second jump on you ans you haven't even aimed yet. Rule of thumb a toy is no good with the batteries in the drawer.

The sr9 has a manual safety as well as trigger safety. Even though the xd doesn't have a manual safety, it has a grip and trigger safety making it quite safe. Both guns are highly regarded for their carry function as well as being high capacity.

i hope that you aren't in that situation where you need that extra second to rack the slide, because you just became a statistic. that extra second trying to rack the slide, could be the difference between life or death. my pistols are always locked and loaded. most likely any situation between you and a BG, is going to be up close and personal. imagine it this way, you get jumped and have to fend off the attacker with your left hand or arm, now how does a person draw and rack the slide with only one hand? not likely. so now with an empty chamber, your pistol has now just become an expensive club. but it being chambered, disengage the saftey if so required, and just shove it forward and firing, well the BG just started having major problems rather than you. but you are welcome to do it your way, i'll do it my way.
The thing about my M&P 9 is that there is no manual safety. So lets look at my situation:

I live in a house in a nice neighborhood with a large dog and an alarm system. What is more likely to happen? Someone breaks into my house and gets upstairs into my bedroom before I can grab my 9 and rack the slide or I accidentally discharge my pistol because I keep a round in the chamber full-time.
I'm not trying to start an argument with you axxe55. But the whole idiotic axe wielding maniac was in response to my post about safety's how I've trained myself to use my firearm.
I guess by some peoples thinking (not yours, the other guy), unless you have all the doors and windows in your house set with C4 charges on trip-wires you are just asking for a hockey mask wearing psychopath to come disembowel you at any time of the day or night:rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.