Looking for a .45

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Shihan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

In the coming weeks, I plan on purchasing a .45 Handgun. I have it narrowed down to three choices. Would like some input pro/con of each.
    • Springfield Armory 1911(more than likely GI, possible Mil-Spec)
    • FN- FNP45
    • IWI Jericho .45

Look foward to what you have to say.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned 2 of 3 on your list. My son has an FNP 9 that I've shot quite a bit so I have experience with all of them. Quite a mix on your list two steel (if the Baby Eagle is the all steel) and one poly.

What's it for?

The Baby Eagle is a big heavy gun, thicker than the 1911 and the FNP. The FNP will be the lightest and the 1911 the slimmest.

I'd seriously advise the Mil-Spec over the base GI for the 1911. The sights are much better and the ejection port is flared & lowered so your brass isn't dented - and it doesn't hit you in the face. Anyway, if you tell us more we can give better advice...

3. Shihan

Just want a .45 for Home Protection and to shoot and have fun at range.
    Currently switch between a Glock 27 and a S&W .357sig for a personal Carry weapon.
    So it would not be for Carry purposes.
    I do like the look of the Springfield and I am leaning more that way. The FNP and the Jericho hold more rounds. But I only need one Bullet.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think NGIB hit the nail on the head. My first 1911 was a Springfield MilSpec. I bought it for the reasons he stated.

Buy the Springer. There is no other pistol like a 1911.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Well, if a .45 range gun is what you're looking for than I'll recommend the Springer Mil-spec. It's a solid basic 1911 and gives you the opportunity to try out the platform without breaking the bank. Resale value is much better for quality 1911s than the other 2 guns you mention so if you decide .45 isn't for you - you won't lose money on the Springer. I really do recommend the Mil-spec over the GI as the small difference in price is made up in much better shootability.

I just picked up this parked Mil-spec 2 weeks ago, barely shot, for $500. I installed a better trigger yesterday (and a MSH with lanyard loop for looks) but other than that it's bone stock and will stay that way...

[​IMG]

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

So, your Glock and .357 sig are good for personal protection, but not for home protection? Same for the range?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I have really enjoyed my trouble-free Springfield XD45. I wasn't looking for anything pretty to show off, nor was i looking for anything that allowed for many refinements/customizations of its internal workings, i was just looking for a high capacity .45 that would go "bang" every time i needed it to, and it has done that very well. The grip is very comfortable, angle-wise.

I hope .45 ammo is easier to find where you are; that has been my only complaint.

8. Shihan

I just want a .45 is there a limit to how many you should have a what purpose they are for?

9. WDB

WDB New Member

I have an FNP 40 and it is a good pistol but recoil is more than it should be. I also have a S&W M&P 45 that I truly like. It isn't on your list but one you should try, add a light/laser combo and it's a prefect HD firearm. The three on your list I would pick the Springfield mil spec.

Pic, the FNP 40 is on top the S&W M&P 45 on the bottom

Attached Files: