looking for a 22 LR pistol.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by pepper0282, Jan 30, 2012.

1. pepper0282

pepper0282 New Member

Hey guys i am going to get a 22 LR pistol. Does anyone out there have a favorite. I of course loomed at the Mark III but am not a fan of the feel. I also checked out the Sig Sauer mosquito and was pleasantly surprised by both fit and feel. Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

The mosquito doesn't seem to get many good reviews, and the browning buck mark seems to be well liked.

I personally don't own a .22 pistol, this is what I hear from other members

3. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

The walther p22's are a decent value and you can change barrels. Without exception, every one that I've handled needed feed ramp work to eat HP's but other than that they were surprisingly fun to shoot. The barrel s also threaded so adding a suppressor is easy.

4. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Check out the Ruger SR22 Pistol.

5. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

I should have added the Buckmark. With the bull barrel it's one of the most accurate 22 pistols I've ever fired. I picked the walther for my response since they practically give them away price wise so it's a good value.

6. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Personally I really like my Ruger Mark III 22/45.
    It is supposed to have the feel of a 45.
    While I dont feel that it truelly replicates the feel of the 45 it has a different feel than the other Ruger 22 pistols.

It has been very reliable and feeds well too.

7. redfox

redfox New Member

P22 is a great gun. You do have to find the right ammo for it though. Cci minimags feed great in it. Zero problems.

8. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Yup. As I said in my first point, it needed serious feed ramp work to handle almost anything other than stingers. Now it eats lead HP's all day long.

9. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

The Sig does tend to have feed issues.. The Browning and Ruger are much better choices.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Blasphemy! Heretic! Burn Him!

11. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I love my Browning Buck Mark.

12. jmeekhof

jmeekhof New Member

I also have a mark iii 22/45 and it's even great. I have around 2,000 rounds through it do far and maybe 3 misfire/jams. Probably because I use cheap ammo though. There's a slick speed loader that makes reloading the 10 round mag take about 3 seconds. Perfect range gun to get a cheap fix. Any mark iii gets my stamp. Got my 22/45 for like $250

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I have a MKII Target and I prefer it over the MKIII.

But depending on what your price range is, I would much rather have a nice older High Standard or S&W Model 41. I prefer the HS guns to the 41, but that's just my preference. I own 2 MKIIs and 4 High Standards. Give me a HS over a Ruger any day of the week.

Here is my favorite HS right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. vincent

vincent New Member

Colt, GSG and Chiappa all make fine guns in .22lr.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Being a die hard 1911 fan------------------:cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

I have a GSG model and love it!

Attached Files:

17. historydoc

historydoc New Member

I'd also look at the new ruger or the buckmark. About the only gun I'd avoid is the walther p22. A couple of my friends have them and they both have problems-- a small sample but enough to scare me off.

18. Unclesam

Unclesam New Member

Smith and weson .22 really don't know what type. Put 300 rounds down range did nicely

ForumRunner_20120202_170155.jpg

19. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

The "King of the Hill" award in .22 pistols is a dead tie between the Ruger Mk III and the Browning Buckmark. You can't go wrong with either one.

Another really good pistol is the Beretta Neos. They are extremely reliable and accurate. The Neos, like my Browning, is one of the few .22s out there that will function no matter what you load it with. It's also the cheapest of the bunch. I had one and got rid of it for two reasons. One, the looks. Ugly with a capital UG. The other was the grip. The grip on that pistol is heavily slanted, and just did not sit well in my hand.

The Mosquito. Actually a decent gun, if you're willing to pay for premium ammo. Because about the only thing it will run on is CCI Mini Mags. Anything else turns it into a jam-o-matic. That and one notable design issue. When it does jam, it does it in such a way that it can crush the rim of the cartridge and bang......the cartridge detonates in the ejection port. Gun Tests Magazine stopped their test of the Mosquito and sent it back after it deposited brass fragments in the shooter's forehead.

Oh and those ATI and Citadel 1911 .22s are great guns. Reliable and accurate, but one word of caution. Some models (they aren't all the same) have a screw which passes through the frame from the right side, just ahead of the trigger. This screw secures the barrel to the frame. It's threaded directly into the frame. And the frame is made of aluminum....very soft aluminum. If you ever remove the barrel for any reason, or if you have to tighten the screw due to it working loose, be very careful as you can strip the threads in a heartbeat. And since the threads are in the frame, there's not much you can do about it besides replacing the frame. Unless you can find a good gunsmith who can plug the hole and re-drill and tap it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

And you can play Buck Rogers with it. :D