Looking for a 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by RemingtonFreak06, May 31, 2012.

1. RemingtonFreak06

RemingtonFreak06 New Member

Interested in purchasing my first 1911

2. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

What caliber? Size? officers, full size? Use range, CCW, target? Amount you want to spend 400-4,000?

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Since you are a Remington freak, get a Remington R1 Enhanced.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are several to be had.

If the price is right, I might be convinced to give up a couple.

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Another one of these threads already....OMG!

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Thanks for letting us know.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I know i'm excited :p

8. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Is it just me? Is everyone in the forum fairyland a bit grouchy lately? At least it's not a 1911/Glock thread for cryinoutloud!

The good news, remingtonfreak, is that there looks to be a couple of 1911's to choose from. Go get yourself a Rock Island or ATI and blow through a few thousand rounds.....or maybe a few hundred and decide what you like/don't like about it. Then go buy yourself another one....and then another one......and then etc. until you find the perfect fit....or swap out parts. 1911's are a disease and cause a multitude of behavioral disorders. OCD is at the top of the list.

I believe the R1's are a couple of hundred more than the rocks if you would like to keep your freak status. Good luck on your search!

9. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

What would said price be? Whatcha got there mate?

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I will admit it. Guilty as charged. I mean what's the point of members doing excellent write-ups on this exact topic and making it a sticky if everybody just posts a thread every week asking the same basic question?

When it comes to 1911s, I doubt there is a question that hasn't already been asked and answered multiple times. Google first. If no luck, post away.

And this particular thread takes the cake. I mean really?

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Why would you want a crappy, out dated, obsolete design such as the 1911? Just get a GLOCK and be done with it. We all know GLOCK is perfection.

Edit: can't do green font from my phone app.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

RIA in .38Super (and a 9mm slide, barrel, bushing that is uber tight to the frame). If the offer is not enough, I'll tell ya (please include shipping).

14. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

You know Greentext?!?!?
    [​IMG]

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

:D see the little "edit:" note?

16. Hawg

Hawg New Member

It ain't purty but the best bang for the buck is a RIA tactical. It's reliable with any bullet style you want to feed it.

17. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I'm new to the internet, 56 years old, and my google fu as it's called is getting better but still weak compared to some. I'm not new to guns I can assure you. Best shooter in my series in the Corps and always shot expert with every weapon I tried. I'm also an old carpenter who worked his butt off to get the position I currently hold. Construction super. In the last 30+ years I have learned all I can from anybody who would teach me something. In that same time I have tried to teach every person who REALLY wanted to learn anything I could show them. That in my position is DAILY. Does it get old at times? Yes sir it does. But I smile and do it anyway.

I noticed that the OP has 2 posts. How old is he? How much does he know about guns? I don't know the small stuff on the internal parts on any gun I own. Some but not like Cane say for example. But I read his sticky and Bacs on other forums. Do I agree with everything. HELL NO. I ask lots of questions on anything I'm interested in. Maybe the OP read that and wanted more info like someone with cancer looking for more info by seeing multiple doctors.

Anyway my point is if you have knowledge be willing to share it gladly and not make smart azz ramarks to someone who is trying to learn. Post something worthwhile or don't post at all. I have 350 guns and bought 2 more this weak. I can teach most of you something and you can teach me something maybe if you own only one. Sorry if I stepped on a toe or two but the old adage If you can't say anything good don't say anything applies here.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Very well then limbkiller...
    OP, I personally endorse the Springfield Armory Milspec. Its what I own, it was my second choice after the Colt I wanted was sold. Its one I'll never let go of. Forged frame and slide, NM prefix on the serial means made in USA. The only thing I've been able to choke it with were some DANGEROUSLY out of spec hand loads, they failed to feed, 3 out of a box of 49 (I tossed one because the case was cracked in such a way I could actually see the base of the bullet).

19. supertech1158

supertech1158 New Member

1911's really do cause OCD. I can honestly spend 4 straight hours cleaning mine. I use cue tips and all to get EVERY LAST SPOT out pf there. But i love every minute of it.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's not OCD, that's pride in a fine piece of art!