looking for 30 06. any recommendation

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by aoseguera5151, Dec 27, 2011.

1. aoseguera5151

aoseguera5151 New Member

Looking to buy a 30-06 does anyone recommend one in particular

2. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight.

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Stick with the big names and models that have been around, Remington 700, Winchester M70, Ruger Hawkeye M77, Browning A-Bolt, X Bolt, Most any Savage Model, Thompson Center ICON, Mossberg has a couple of newer models, CZ's are good too.....I presume you were considering bolt-action.

edit:...oops...this is the semi-auto forum...guess a Browning BAR would be my choice.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

For a traditional bolt action, Remington 700 - there are several versions to choose from. I'm partial to stainless steel. Their fluted stainless barrel is beautiful and the Remington wood is great.

[​IMG]

For a non-traditional action, consider a Browning BLR, a lever operated bolt action. This is a fun gun to shoot and looks great.

[​IMG]

I personally can't get the same MOA groupings with the BLR than I can get with the Remington 700, but the Browning BLR is still fairly tight and plenty good for hunting. Cool features of the BLR are the box magazine and the ability to rack and release a followup round much faster than with the 700.

5. redrussell

redrussell New Member

Savage and Remington have the best factory barrels these days. If you plan to do any work or "mods" to your rifle pick Remington 700 or Savage. I have a 700 and a Savage 110 with the accutrigger and accustock. With a Leupold Mark 4 mounted on it, once we figured out the dope for it we shot it out to 950yds hitting 18" plates with Hornady ammo. At 200 I shot a 1.68" 3 round group after zeroing right out of the box. Also some 700's just had their triggers recalled. The old triggers were nice, the new ones aren't as crisp. I have heard the savage axiom you can get at walmart for under 400 is pretty good. I have not seen or shot it though.

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

700's from around 2006 have a very heavy trigger pull. I have never measured it, but 8 or 10 pounds would not surprise me.

7. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

get a Remington 30-6 its accurate its powerful and its cool looking

8. redrussell

redrussell New Member

30-06 is a 30-06... same power(unless you want start getting into barrel length, twist rate and ammo used for small power advantage/disadvantages) depends on what model, some remingtons are poorly made, take the polymer box magazine fed one you find at walmart. That rifle should have never been made. Get a quality rifle that will last to give to your kids. That way you know it will at least last long enough for you to use it.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I like milsurp, so I'd say a Garand or A303...

10. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I purchased a Remington bdl custom deluxe 30-06 with a 3x9x50 burris scope and I am very happy with it. Came out of the box with a 4.5 lb trigger that broke like glass. With a little practice shooting a 1 inch group at a 100 yards is easy. If you want to go the mil surplus route you might want to look at 8mm Mauser. If you shop around you can find them for under 200 dollars. I shoot 2 to 4 inch groups at a hundred yards with my 98 k Mauser using iron sights. I plan on adding a scope,changing the trigger and reloading for this rifle . Mauser actions are awesome every time I find an old Mauser at a big 5 or at a gun show I buy it.

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

For bolt actions, go with something like a Remington Model 700, Marlin XL7, 1903 Springfield, or a Winchester Model 70.

For a semi auto, go with something like a Remington 750, 74, 740, 742, 7400, M1 Garand, or a Browning BAR. I think someone was also trying to make a 30-06 AR. I cant remember who though. (EDIT: Cobb used to make them in several differenct calibers (It was called the MCR), but was bought out by Bushmaster and no longer makes them.:()

For full auto, go with something like a military Browning BAR, or a Browning M1917.

Happy shooting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  12. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

Not to brag, but, I just picked a 30-06. Winchester M70 built in 1957. Shoots amazing. Nicest rifle I've ever shot. Now that that is out of my system, I love the Winchester's. I doubt most folk have the cash on hand for a "pre-64", but the new ones are sweet too. I might be opening a can of worms here, but I hear Remington's go of when you close the bolt...

13. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yeah, worms alright...They work great, don't believe what you hear. Some research will tell it's not true. That topic is exhaustive so, I won't go into it all.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh yeah, they've been know to go off when you close the bolt...
    After the rifle has been tinkered with by an incompetent, untrained, inexperienced, shade tree gunsmith, or left out in the weather exposed to the elements and rarely being thoroughly cleaned by a now childless mother.

I'm not a remington fanboy, I much prefer the model 70 myself, but those claims are not all they appear to be. Plain and simple, a 700 that is in good repair and not tinkered with (other than by a competent gunsmith) is just as safe as our beloved rifleman's rifle.

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I own a 700 and a 70...they both function flawlessly. Never had the problem w/the 700 that people claim it has. And the 70? Well, that thing is "sweeter'n a 10 lb bag 'o sugar" buddy...

16. dzander

dzander New Member

I own a Remington 760 and 700 in 30-06. I would recommend the remington pump for a good all around hunting rifle in the 600-700 dollar range. I bought my daughter a savage axis xp in .308 and it is sweet and sold for under 300. It does have a heavy trigger which any gumsmith can fix or do what i did and replace the spring yourself. It also comes with a low end bushnel scope. I replaced the scope with a better one. But for 300 you get a accurate rifle with scope mounts even if you elect to change the scope out you will have a very good rifle at a price nobody else can touch.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hell yeah it is. I'd take a model 70 that is considered a sub par manufacture date, over the slickest 700 on the market. My personal preference.

I want one of the newest manufacture, in a .30-06 featherlight with the schnabel fore end. My grandfather's is one of those, except they weren't doing the schnabel when his was made, which was probably late 80's or early 90's depending on how long it sat on the shelf.

18. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

That's what I love about this forum. There are enough people on here that if you here something that is questionable (like anything about guns from CNN, or was it CNBC? I get them confused.) I know a lot of guys that love their 700's. Know a lot that hate them. I just wanted that aired out with all this talk of Remington's.

19. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Well...they are dangerous...especially this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]