Looking at the "New" 1911 22s. Comments?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by hideit, Nov 25, 2010.

1. hideit

hideit New Member

From conversion kits to expensive Kimber models, we now, recently this year, have manufacturers putting out less expensive 1911's in 22lr
    so which would you want
    Chiappa, GSG, Colt (coming out soon) or Remington (coming out soon and will be 80% of a full size 1911)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

GSG hands down!

The soon to be released Colt is a relabeled GSG.

It has all the must-have goodies.

[​IMG]

Can ready.

[​IMG]

And it's a tack driver!

[​IMG]

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

after looking around the net about this there is little info but this pic suggest a two piece frame. not sure how durable that would be. i would definately want to handle one before i bought one.

[​IMG]

4. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Not 'two piece', it's simply cast alloy. The mold line is what we see. The low price point means less attention to little details like polishing the mold lines out. Should not affect functioning.

5. Jay

Jay New Member

As a retired toolmaker, the GSG is hands-down, the best workmanship of what's currently offered. The barrel is pinned, and screwed to the frame. There's a good review of the gun here.... Review: GSG 1911 - INGunOwners You can see on the pic of the right side, the barrel pin, the slide stop pin (in the middle) and the barrel retaining screw. The gun has very close to the same weight, feel, and balance of a full sized 1911. I ran 550 rounds thru it without cleaning it, with two failures to fire, and those were good firing pin strikes, but the rounds did not fire. (bulk pak ammo) Accuracy was good, 2" groups at 30 feet off of sandbags. The pistol handled high velocity (Fed bulk pak) as well as standard velocity (Wolf Match Target) with no issues.

Take down tools and chamber brushes are provided. For those who are so inclined, the barrel is threaded for a suppressor, and comes with a thread protector.

80% of the internals are interchangeable.

80% of the parts interchange...

Barrel Bushing
    Front & Rear Site
    Hammer
    Trigger
    Grip Safety
    the Whole Main Spring Housing
    Thumb Safety
    Sear
    Disconnector
    Sear Spring
    Grip Panels (but not the screws because they're in metric)
    Mag Release
    Sear Pin
    Hammer Pin
    Plunger Tube
    Plunger Spring

I have NOT tried to interchange all these parts... just sayin'.... this is hearsay from a stocking dealer.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  6. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

I have not shot any of the mentioned models, but I have handled both the Chiappa and GSG at a local shop. Once I have the means, the GSG is my choice.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

shame its not also available as a upper only. i could prolly forgive the use of the novak style sights but they are fixed and just about all 1911 conversions use adjustable sights.

8. Jay

Jay New Member

The GSG comes with three front sights of varying heights, and the rear is driftable, and held with a set screw.

9. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

.22 kits on large bore pistols

I have one of the original Colt Ace and it works fine. Accuracy is better than normal and the only problem is you have to clean the chamber/piston every time you shoot more than 50 rounds.
    I also bought a J. Arthur Ciener .22 LR conversion for my 92 Berretta and it didn't work past the first magazine full. The extractor bent. I tried to call Ciener but could never get past their voice mail. I may just make a new extractor myself and see how it runs then. The extractor looked awful thin and cheap looking.
    Sarge

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i have that same problem with my kimber conversion. first 500 rounds was flawless. took it to range today and it fails to extract every round. with the slide locked back i can pop the spent cartridge loose with light pressure. i just chalk it up to typical kimber quality. junk. i wish sig would make a 1911 conversion their p220 conversion work great and eat everything. i got nearly 4k through my p220 22 without issue

was looking at giving ceiner a shot so to speak

11. russ

russ New Member

I looked at both the Chiappa and GSG. I didn't look long at the Chiappa. Handle them both and you'll see what I mean, no contest. The GSG is better in every way. Shoots well and eats most bulk pak ammo that I've fed it. Has a great feel to it.

12. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

I bought a Chiappa this summer and it has been problem free. $270 out the door. It only came with one magazine. So far I'm pleased with it since it is just a plinker.

13. pf318

pf318 New Member

gsg 1911 will not extract

I just got a gsg 1911 and tried it on the range and very dissapointed. It stovepiped and also would fire but then would not extract the bullet every time. I took it down did a good clean and oil and went back out and same thing. Using winchester holllw points. Is this the problem ? I have heard so much good talk about this gun ,but now I am beginning to question my purcahse. Thanks , Paul

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Try some CCI, Paul. The Win stuff is always hit or miss for me. CCI is the benchmark for reliability testing at Chez Rock.

15. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

chiappa 1911-22

Well I've been shooting the Chiappa 1911-.22 for 6 months now with about 2500 rounds through it and haven't had any problems at all. I'm well pleased with it.

16. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Winchester hollowpoints are very 'square-tipped' and many semiautos don't like them (My Armscor 22C carbine is an exception!) - try any good roundnose plated bullet load. I also prefer CCI Minimags in most semiautos.

17. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

chiappa 1911-.22

I've had my Chiappa for 6 months and put about 2500 rounds thru it with no problems at all and it gets cleaned regularly

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  18. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

chiappa 1911-.22

I've had my Chiappa for 6 months and put about 2500 rounds thru it with no problems at all and it gets cleaned regularly

19. razorbaq

razorbaq New Member

Im gonna have to check out the Remington, When is the release date?