Looking at Glock 9mm

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Billdogge, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

Looking to get a 9mm Glock or 9mm S&W M&P. The guy at the gun shop was steering me twords the S&W. Any insight would help.

Thanks
    Bill

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

If you can rent each - shoot them and see what works for you. Given the same 2 options - I'd take the M&P...

3. GeauxTigersGuy

GeauxTigersGuy New Member

Never shot either. Take NGIB's advice and you'll never go wrong.

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm with NGIB, go with the M&P. You can save some money and look at the Sigmas. Just as good as Glock only better feel. JMHO, take it for what it is worth.

Sorry.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  5. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

I have 3 Glock 9mm's(G26, G19 and G17) and 2 M&P 9mm's(fullsize and Pro). Out of those 5 the G26 is the best to CC, with the G19 being a close second. The trigger on the Pro9 is best by a long shot and the reliability is there with all of them. The Pro9 and the G19 are the most accurate, with the edge going to the Pro9. Can't go wrong with any of them.

6. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Sigma Fanboy, sheeesh :cool:

7. shawng

shawng New Member

go with the glock. i know guys that i work with that have the m&p and hate it. one guy in particular has had to send his back to smith twice because of surface rust issues, i am biased though as i own the a glock 17,19,26 also the glock 21,30.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have not shot an M&P, but I have a Sigma in 40. I have a complaint with Glock and their trigger guard, that I do not have with the Sigma. I am not bashing the Glock, but it is not the one I would have.

9. Billdogge

Billdogge New Member

Thanks for the info

Keep it coming.

10. glove

glove New Member

I vote for the Glock. I have 2 a G-19 and G-26 both have been 100% just my 2 cents :)

11. JoeParker

JoeParker New Member

I say you go for the Glock. I have a Glock 21 and the thing has been worth every dime.

Not that the S&W M&P is a bad option, I just perfer the Glock.

12. Glock

Glock New Member

Just my opinion, but I say go with the Glock. Between my wife and myself, we have 9 Glocks; one Model 19, one Model 26, one Model 30SF, two Model 27s, two Model 23s, and two Model 22s. All my Glocks go bang every time I pull the trigger. I have added the "slider-lock" to some of my Glocks, and will eventually do that with all of them. Never fired or handled the S&W M&P but have heard good things about the gun. On the other hand, I have heard and experienced bad things with S&W's customer support.

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, GLOCK(spelled with the GLOCKsters in mind) Customer No-Service is stellar.:rolleyes:

14. Glock

Glock New Member

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I own nine Glocks and have never had to talk to customer service once. I own two Smith & Wesson revolvers purchased used without problems, but have been given the run-around by Smith & Wesson customer service regarding a Smith-made Walther. I'd love to own a PPK or PPK/S but will not buy one if Smith is providing the customer support, or lack thereof. Just my opinion.

15. jbd

jbd New Member

i have had the m&p 9mm since jan. 2010 and have not had one single problem. appr. 1,000 rounds through it. i also have a glock 23 that i cant even count the rounds ive put down range through it with out one problem, so reliability is not a issue with either gun IMO. i like the m&p better because of the feel in my hands, with the small back strap it feels like it was made for me. i suggest you pick up, hold, and shoot both and go from there, and as far as S&w customer support i have never had any trouble out of them they have always been great. good luck.

16. KellyS

KellyS New Member

Love my two M&P's

I am far from being an expert but I do have some personal experience with both the Glock and the M&P. The following is JMHO.

Originally I was leaning towards buying a Glock based on reputation for quality. Every time I fired one I was not very happy with my accuracy. And, no, I did not blame all of that on the gun.

Eventually was introduced to the M & P and the adjustable backstraps. When I put on the large backstrap, the gun felt like it was made for my hand. (The Glock always felt a bit awkward in my hand.) My trigger finger just reached the trigger perfectly. It was much more comfortable to shoot and my results were noticeably better.

My advice would be to shoot a couple hundred rounds with each weapon and your hand and your shot groups will make your decision for you.

As far as customer service and such, I have been very fortunate in that my guns have been working perfectly from day one. So no experience to share on that front.

I own both the 9mm's (large and compact). When I bought them S&W had a special deal, two extra mags just for mailing in the receipt. Now I have 2 guns and 8 mags. Have to admit, that did tip the decision making a bit. Who doesn't like something extra for no extra charge?

I fire mostly FMJ at the range but enough JHP's to be sure that they feed just fine. Never had a misfire yet. Had one expended case stovepipe on me but it cleared just fine. I estimate over 1,000 rounds through each gun so far.

The full size has a big enough tactical rail that it holds my combo tac light/laser sight perfectly. Makes it a very nice home defense weapon. The compact rail is too short (at least for my particular light). Tried to use it once with the light and it fell right off (it never latched onto the rail). Getting night sights on that one as it is my every day carry weapon.

17. MrGrumpy89

MrGrumpy89 Member

I have a g26. I just got it about 4 months ago. Last week at the range I shot about 1in groups at 25yds. The best I have ever shot with the 26. once you get used to the trigger and get your grip down the 26 is pretty accruate. I shot 8 shot two went high.

Attached Files:

18. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I own a Gen 3 Mod 22 that shoots just fine, although, I've shot the Gen 4 in 9mm and really like the feel of the shorten length of pull. I'm going to purchase the Gen. 4 Mod. 22 soon. I also shot the M&P and they ain't bad either. IMHO you can't go wrong with either the Glock or the M&P. Basically it's all about fit.

19. User Name

User Name New Member

I vote GLOCK. I have a G19 and LOVE it. I have shot the M&P and thought it was ok. Nothing really stood out. I would try and shoot both and see what you liked better. I like knowing that my GLOCK will go bang every time I pull the trigger no matter how bad I treated it or neglected it. (though I take VERY good care of it) Its nice to know that in a SHTF if I was not able to clean it, it would keep functioning perfectly for a LONG time. Probably much longer than any of the other pistols out there.

20. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Do you have ta have a 9MM?

Glock makes great .45s, 21 & 30.

I am buying a Glock 29 10MM.