looking at getting my first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by scherfinator, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scherfinator

scherfinator New Member

Hey everyone...im looking at getting a 1911..This will be my first one and I really dont know which brands are top par..Ive been looking at Kimbers and Springfields..Im going to go for a .45...Any help on more info would be nice.

2. VR4

VR4 New Member

Whats your budget?

3. scherfinator

scherfinator New Member

trying to stay under $1000

4. VR4

VR4 New Member

If $1000 dollars is your limit I would hold off and save $200 more and buy the Springfield Armory TRP. You won't regret the purchase. Here is mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

I picked up a NIB Stainless Colt Gold Cup Trophy for less than $1000 on GunBroker. Was right at $1000 with shipping and transfer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  6. junho806

junho806 New Member

can't go wrong with springfield!
    check out mine in the 1911 forum!
    :D

7. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

Beautiful gun. I might have to plan a trip down to Key West to have a beer with you and shoot that puppy.

8. planenut

planenut New Member

Is this the one you use for competition? :)

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I got a Kimber for light sale that is well under $1000 if you are interested. :D

Look at the used market in your area. With the economy the way it is, there are deals out there if you are willing to make a few calls and do a bit of driving.

JD

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

sorry accident double post see below

i bought a new colt series 70 just a few weeks back for 800. superb gun. i would go for about anything before getting a kimber.

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Oh boy, a Kimber basher....... :rolleyes:

Doyou know how many 1911's kimber makes in a year? Do you know how many of those have problems? When you find that out compare that to other manufacturers.
    I did my research and STILL bought a Kimber. :)

12. freefall

freefall New Member

I heart my Kimber Compact.

13. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

My $.02 is to spend more time learning and less money now. Once you're learned the 1911 spend good money on the 2nd one. My real education started after the purchase. I've made a lot of newbie mistakes on an expensive gun. I would have been better off to make them on something like a Rock Island.

Here's an excellent article that might help you. Xavier Thoughts: Choosing Your First 1911

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Sorry, Brian. I'm not a big Kimber fan either. :D Maybe I'm the "Kimber problem magnet", but Kimber did not help the matter with their "We don't care" attitude. I'm not a Kimber Basher, but not a fan either.

Not a big fan of MIM parts, in general, but that SAI TRP is a pretty nice piece of work.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

For the money you spend on a Kimber, you can do a lot better, IMO.

16. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

A Wilson to me is just a "Penis Extension" gun. I have shot a couple of them, Nighthawks and Ed Browns too. They are beautiful guns but unless you are a professional competition shooter they are too much. A Colt, Springfield, Kimber or even S&W 1911 will due just fine for me. My guns are there to protect myself and my family from the day Gold Tooth comes through my door. If I hit him 1/8 of an inch off the center of his heart he won't be any less dead. I would rather buy a Colt, Springfield and Kimber for the same price I would pay for one Wilson. Then there are 3 guns hidden in 3 strategic places in my house to help clarify my position to 3 hoods as to why I feel they don't belong in my house. The 2nd Amendment wasn't written so we can shoot 1/2 inch groups in a piece of paper at 25+ yards.

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That is downright offensive. :mad:

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

A penis extension? That is ironically the same line that anti gunners use to describe ALL guns.

I have a big pile of nice 1911's, but when I got my Wilson I was very impressed. The plain and simple truth is that they are beautifully made and finished. The cosmetic blems that I see on Colt, Springfield Armory and Kimber these days are non-existent on the Wilsons, Nighthawks, Les Baers, etc.

Is it necessary to spend that much coin to get a good 1911? No way.
    Are they overpriced? To some they are, but to others they are not.

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Wilsons are REALLY nice, as are the others mentioned, but if you're just using them for home defense, they are probably overkill unless you're rich.

But for anyone to say that they're a male hormone enhancer like what's-his-name did, well that's just pure BS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.