looking at getting a S&W 1911 would like some advice.

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by jeffkaiser1989, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

So as we know evreybody makes a 1911. Some tend to have alot of issues from the factory and some dont im wondering if S&W 1911's are a worth while buy or if i should expect to need some gunsmithing done. Any input is appreciated.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Some people don't like the S&W 1911 because it has an external extractor. I love just about anything made by S&W. I do not own their 1911. But I would think the external extractor would be harder to break than the internal ones that are on most other 1911s. Just my thoughts anyway. I have never broken an extractor. But I don't load through the ejection port. Some people do.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am guessing that the S&W extractor is spring loaded like most modern auto loaders.

4. fordracing

fordracing Member

Love mine. Never a problem. If I had to find one con, I guess it would be that the thumb safety is a little sticky.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Pretty well sums up the only 'hang-up' some people have with S&W 1911s. And usually that's more about personal tastes and folks wanting to adhere to the traditional design.

Functionally, their 1911s have an excellent reputation.

6. 1turkeyhunter

1turkeyhunter New Member

I bought the "E" series recently and so far am very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

IMHO, most of the fussiness attributed to 1911s is overblown. FWIW, most will work just fine out of the box. As barrels get shorter, things can get interesting.
    As for S&W, a guy I shot pins with liked his so much that he bought another one just like it for his daughter. S&W seems to make good ones. I will admit to finding the Round butt scandium frame model worth further investigation.
    Aesthetically, one could say they have made some controversial choices. The External extractor being the most controversial. While it annoys traditionalists, I suspect it' a heck of a lot easier for the builder. I would guess that they is a lot less "tuning" needed to make it work right.
    The fact that they chose not to use Stainless hardware on stainless guns is also a questionable choice too, IMHO.
    The Fish scale grip surfaces don't excite traditionalists either. Frankly I think they look cool.
    FYI: the non-E series have a firing pin block safety. I feel that firing pin block safeties are unnecessary. Not horrible or unamerican, just unnecessary. IMHO, they add a layer of complexity that doesn't fix anything. A titanium firing pin w/ a more robust spring can accomplish essentially the same thing without the additional parts count & the associated parts cost (see the E- series.)
    If the aesthetic choices made by S&W don't bother you, I suspect you will be happy.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Overkill are shooting at the Layton Range? Do you know Bob Evans? :)

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Salvo?
    I was. However, I haven't been in some time.
    Last summer I had a really severe bout of Sciatica. While I'm most of the way back from it, there are still lingering effects. So standing for extended periods doesn't hold the same fascination these days.

Yes, I know Bob. Nice guy who knows his way around a 1911.

10. KSDeputy

KSDeputy Member

My advice is to find a model 4506, and forget the 1911. We carried the 4506, and I love it. If you find that you absolutely have to have a 1911, get a COLT.

Last edited: May 8, 2016