Looking at getting a Chiappa Rhino

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by BrokenArsenal, May 27, 2014.

1. BrokenArsenal

BrokenArsenal New Member

Well as the title says I'm looking for a wheel gun, i just stumbled upon the chiappa rhino. In particular the 40ds model in .357mag at my localish CGX (Coast Guard Exchange). Certainly is quite unique looking so i started looking into it more. Does the lowered bore axis really reduce muzzle flip on this weapon? Pros and cons? And anything notable either positive or negative about this weapon? The mechanics of this weapon do concern me as well. Any issues with it?

Attached Files:

2. BrokenArsenal

BrokenArsenal New Member

I also want to shoot one before i buy but i know no one with one.:(

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I've heard that the lowered bore axis does reduce muzzle flip. However, having handled a couple, they are simply too much of a departure from conventional designs for my taste. In order to get the lowered bore axis they were forced to add complexity. They aren't exactly a screaming bargain either. The fact that the looks can be described as "controversial," doesn't really help it's case.
    I'd probably get a conventional Ruger or S&W instead.

4. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

I just can't do ugly.

5. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

The internal parts linkage sure does smack of Rube Goldberg!

Bob Wright

6. Donn

Donn Active Member

I know a Rhino when I see one, never fired one. The up side, it's not as cumbersome as it looks. The down side, my LGS won't carry them. Quality and warranty issues. I'm sure there are many happy Rhino owners who'd argue, and my evidence is all anecdotal, but there it is.

7. Transman

Transman New Member

They are amazing shooters, I've had mine for over a year now, first a four inch, which I traded for a six, that I regularly use to shoot pins. Full house magnums have little muzzle flip, recoil is more straight back. Very easy to shoot fast,especially using 38's.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I've had the snubbie model for a few months (amazing right place right time deal). It's a weird little conversation piece, but I enjoy it. No issues so far, but I've probably only put a couple hundred rounds through it. It definitely reduces muzzle flip.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I can say this much, no one has tried to copy the rhino. Every gun that is even a mild success is usually copied by several gun companies. I see the rhino as a gun for people who want things no one else has.