Looking at buying a new 44 mag or .357 mag

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by KCW9, Mar 11, 2010.

1. KCW9

KCW9 New Member

I've been looking at getting a .44 or a .357 and I was wondering what people thought about certain guns/brands in these categories. Any info??? I've looked at the Blackhawks, Redhawks, Taurus tracker and that is about as far as I have gotten. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

2. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

You cannot go wrong with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag...

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Big difference between .44 and .357 Magnum - what do you plan to use the gun for? The answer to that question will allow us to give you good advice. As far as brands go, S&W and Ruger are the only new revolvers I'll own. I have 2 Colt Trooper Mk IIIs, but they haven't been made in years. The QC at Taurus is just to iffy in my book and I've owned them before...

4. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Ruger for either, you can't beat their revolvers. Redhawk or Super Redhawk in .44, GP100 in .357.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What about a vintage S&W model 29?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or a vintage Colt Python?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I say the Smith & Wesson 625, sorry but the 45 ACP is the perfect round IMO. If it's good enough for the 1911 it's good enough for a revolver. :D

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

What are you going to be doing with it? Do you want single action or double action? Keep in mind that double actions are also single action. Are you leaning towards .44 more or .357? If you want a single action the Ruger Super Blackhawk is the gun by which all others are judged. If you want double action it's a toss up between S&W & Ruger as already posted. It all depends on how you intend to use it, and what for.

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

More info. as to its intended use is needed, but as I always say. GET BOTH!

9. ghh3rd

ghh3rd New Member

I just got a Ruger SBH .44 and love it. Kicks just fine, thank you, but as long as the trigger guard stays away from my middle knuckle, I love it.

I've been casting different boolits for it and trying different loads, and have been doing pretty well at 50 yards. I hope to knock down a hog or deer with it this coming season.

Randy

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy New Member

I have a S&W model 629 classic with6.5 inch barrel I love this gun . But i think this months handloader magazine has an article in it that talks about the ruger and how well it is built, especially in the cylinder area with ability to shoot longer heavier bulletts over other brands. I also have the ruger sp101 2.25 inch barrel gun that I carry as my GET OFF ME GUN Chambered in 357 magnum Ireally like this one too. Shoot come to think of it I can't think of a handgun I have I don't like.Sorry I'm not much help.But I will say this I had a taurus 44 magnum before the raging bull series and it shot like garbage, the taurus wasn't crowned well and acuracy suffered greatly I had it for a month and finally got rid of it.That one pistol ruined me on taurus I haven't had one since.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  11. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I own a lot of .44 Magnums. Many are Rugers and a few are Smith & Wessons. However, I don't own any Taurus .44's. The reason being, for the price of a Taurus you can get a Ruger. Of all my .44 Magnums I have to say I favor my S&W Classic 629-5, followed by my S&W 329PD. However, when I hunt I generally use my Ruger Redhawk or my Bisley BUT my S&W 329PD in on my hip at all times.

[​IMG]

You never know when you'll need some serious kill-power.

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I don't even remotely agree...

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

IMHO, one should have both calibers, .357 mag and .44 mag in their stable. Either Smith, Ruger or Colt, and indeed ultimately, the choice is yours.

The Taurus Ranging Bull series are indeed lookers, but I have not had enough shooting experience with one personally, to honestly recommend their performance.

Jack

14. MB44

MB44 New Member

If you are looking for a cheap and good revolver, Taurus Raging Bull is the way to go. I personally do not like Ruger for their looks, and they feel like a brick in my hand, but they have a excellent track record which cannot be denied. Also the mechanics in the Raging Bull are not as smooth as e.g. a good S&W, but i would still give it the thumbs up.
    I own a 8 3/8" Raging Bull (.44Mag) and it is the best purchase I have ever made. To me the Raging Bull has proven itself as I have shot several IPSC level mataches with it, and it never failed me. Off course if you got the money go for a S&W......

15. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

My .44 Mag. is a S&W 629 with 6-1/2" barrel. Excellent pig gun. I've shot from 240 gr. wad cutters to 300 gr. cast core and some +P rounds as well with no hitch what so ever.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a S&W 586 with a 6 inch barrel. I bought it at a gun show. Great gun. It's a 357 mag. I have to say, I don't like Taurus. I have first hand experience with their quality conjtrol and their customer service. You might buy a great gun from them. You might buy a peice of junk. They have been turning out guns that obviously did not get inspected. I still have one Taurus. It's the M85 38 snubby. It's been ok. But I had a PT111 PRO that was a nightmare. I finally returned it to where I bought it. The dealer said he would work it out with them.

17. northhike

northhike New Member

Not sure about the 44mag. but in .357 The Ruger GP100 is about as reliable and solid as it gets. I would stake my life on it. :D

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Ruger's GP 100 is a great 357 im a few lengths. The Super Redhawk is hard to beat for a 44 mag. I used to be a S&W guy and nothing else would do in a wheel gun. I got a Redhawk in a trade and went to a Super Redhawk later. They are built like tanks!

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am not aware of a Ruger that I would not trust my life with. For the money they are really tuff to beat. At least that's my take.

20. northhike

northhike New Member

Then we agree. :)