Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas am looking at an SR556E which is a wonderful rifle on so many levels accurate piston system etc BUT it is lacking a chrome lined chamber and a chrome lined bore.

One of the advantages of a piston system is the expectation of less and/or easier maintenance but the lack of chroming kinda flies in the face of tjat..

I have never owend a non chromed bore rifle.
What is the extra maintenance expected?

· Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really enjoy my SIG516 which seems much smoother to my surprise than my DI guns ( which include some good ones).
It also feels super high quality right there with my DDM4V5.

I expect the SR556E to be as good andit has been well reviewed ...except the lack of chrome bore bothers me.

· Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I abslutely love my SIG 516 and expect an SR556 to be roughly similiar.
As for parts.. many parts still interchnage from the SIG516 to a AR, foring pins, even the bolt looks like its the same (sans gas rings) and it appears I could sub a regular bolt in there.

Also these systems are interesting to me from a collector standpoint. I already have a few DI systems why keep buying the same?

Still ...every one of my rifles needs to be field worthy to a high degree and chromed bores help with that....

· Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WHY you ask , Because they are proven, reliable and just plain work !!!!
If you wanna go with a reliable piston system get a AK :D
I am fully invested in the AR system now as a Amry sodliers I am very familiar with the AR and already well trained in its use.
it is more accurate and I am good enough to amke use of that...
And I now have lots of AR ammo and spare parts and magazines..

But you are right if I were to start all over I might storngly consider going AK.

The amount of ammo I could have stored by now in 5.45mm... sigh...

· Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am still interested in that firearm as its still for sale.

Does anyone know how much it costs to have a barrell aftermarkety melonited or nitrided?
Or even NiCorr?

And who would do that.
that SR556E has a 41V45 CHF barrell.. it be a chance to leave it untreated.

I dont see it mentioend anywhere in Rugers specs that the barrell has gotten any treatment in house..

· Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Jon,

Thanks for the quick response.

I also have a couple of real nice DI guns but I was interested in it for the novelty a bit too.

Still the idea behind a Piston gun is less maintance and the no chrome flies in the face of that.

Still its an interesting gun and you gotta admit a 41V45 CHF barrel is pretty cool ...
... I'prefer the SR556E model (which this is) where u can remove the handguards easier and its lighter than the regular SR556...... except the lack of chrome bugs me..
if it had nicorr or at least melonite it would be ok.

I hear one can get it after market nitrides but i dont know anyone who doe sit locally.
Gave my gunsmith a call but he hasnt called back yet :)

· Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you know of anyone having melonited and existing barrel afetrmarket?
I am thinking of doing that with this wonderful 41V45 CHF barrell ( if i do get this gun)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.