Looking at a .45

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by RyanMann, Feb 27, 2009.

1. RyanMann

RyanMann New Member

I am looking to buy and carry an HK .45c. Does anyone have one or share anything they have heard about how well they shoot, performance, maintenance, anything really. I am new to HKs, I know they are really well made. I'll also listen to any other suggestions in the .45 market.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Ryan - Welcome to the Forum

I have the H & K USP Tactical in .45ACP. It's a good gun, but it isn't a 1911.

The pluses are that I have never had a problem with it and it's always gone bang with whatever I put through it. It's extractor spits shells WELL out of range of the shooter and clear of the weapon. The safety is a positive on/off and there is no middle ground, so you can safely carry it and feel comfortable. It features many of the 1911's key features that I like. H&K uses a polygonal barrel that is proprietary to them and it's quite accurate.

The Minuses are: It's expensive. H&K Customer Service is VERY BAD. The thing is bulky, and the grip is wide, VERY WIDE. I have large hands, I wear XL gloves in most sizes, and I can't access the slide release or the mag release with the standard address the weapon grip. H&K uses a polygonal barrel that is proprietary to them and if you shoot someone, they are going to know IMMEDIATELY what weapon it came from. :rolleyes:

Personally, I would opt for several other choices that would run you less money and still be just as reliable.

JD

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I have a Ruger P345, which is a 45 ACP caliber. It too isn't a 1911 but it goes bang every time and it's extremely accurate. This is an affordable pistol and it's very reliable. You will find it to be one of the lighter weight 45's available and it will conceal carry fairly well. I don't conceal carry my 45 often, but when I do it's my P345. You really can't go wrong with any Ruger. H&K is a fine weapon, but it wouldn't be my first choice...

4. wally1120

wally1120 New Member

concealed carry weapon

my open carry weapon is a springfield armoury xd .45 compact with night sights. It cost me about 750.00 but you cant put a price on your life so it was worth it. I haven`t had a problem with it yet and I have had it for 2 years now.

5. jaygibson

jaygibson New Member

John Farnam told me that we carry handguns not because they are effective, but because they are convinient.
    True, HK is a huge gun. The longer you tote it, the bigger and heavier it gets. Then we tend to look for reasons not to put it on.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Jay

6. JohnnyBlk45

JohnnyBlk45 New Member

I personal own a XD45-ACP 13 +1, this is a great firearm.

7. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

it's no 1911 but...

Funny I just shot my buddy's H&K USP Expert .45 Sunday and gotta say that it's a hellava weapon I like all the functions both ease and locations it was deadly accurate and really fun to shoot, he also had a CZ 97B-D .45 now that was a great gun the recoil was perfect it seem to just raise and fall right back on target double taping was the best I've ever done, a real tack driver of course then I have the Beretta PX4 Storm in .45cal that I would recommend to anyone that's interested in a 4" barrel polymer weapon cause I have learned to shoot it very well... but it's got a punchy recoil and a very light trigger so I can't double tap as well with it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  8. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I had a German built USP years ago. It was built like a brick ****house, but it was bulky and clunky and had a less than stellar trigger on it.

I was at a gun shop/range picking up some ammo one weekend on the way out to the woods. I had read an article on the Kimbers and started looking at them. After running a box of ammo through a rental Custom II, I was hooked. I traded my USP for $400 of the $700 price of the Kimber Compact II, on the spot.

Since that day, nothing less than a well made 1911 has or will grace my hip.

9. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

The other day you guys were talking about the S&W M&P in 45. Is that 45 as good as a 1911?

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

BLASPHEMY!!

Have this man flogged and keel hauled IMMEDIATELY!!

NOTHING is as good as a properly built 1911. NOTHING!!

JMB for THE WIN!!

JMB by armbar for you MMA fans...

JD

11. matt g

I have a quick question for you. What's you level of experience with handguns? Have you handled many pistols chambered in larger calibers? What's you level of training in the use of pistols defensively?

I'm asking because you may be better suited with a 9x19 or .40 S&W over the .45 ACP. You may also consider getting a .22 LR conversion slide and sticking with the .45 ACP.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

HOW DARE YOU MR PLUMBR!

..................[​IMG]

Pay no attention to him Mr. Browning.
    I'm sure the mods will put him on probation at minimum!

[​IMG]

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I second that. I don't use my XD45 for work or anything; it is just for major problem resolution. It has been very simple so far and no misfires or jams yet. I also kinda like that lucky #13. I don't know anything about guns compared to most of these guys, but i know what is simple enough for me to be comfortable with. I also like the added safety of the grip safety. If you are a kermit the frog fan, it is available with green plastic; when i got mine, the 5" was ONLY available in green, still shoots fine though.

14. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

jodaplumbr asked
    Is the S&W M&P 45 as good as a 1911?

Cane wrote
    HOW DARE YOU MR PLUMBR!

Pay no attention to him Mr. Browning.
    I'm sure the mods will put him on probation at minimum!

Brothers
    Please forgive my ignorance! I meant no disrespect to the Holy Grail that is the 1911.

That being said I’m probably going to get in even deeper now.

So why are so many other 45s being bought and discussed here on the forum? Why isn’t the 1911 the only weapon being used? Is it too much money, Too large, Small mag. Cap.? Is the 1911 more of a collector’s item then an everyday carry gun? I’m confused.
    Again, no blasphemy intended. Tell Mr. Browning’s ghost not to haunt me!;)

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

SWEET MARY MOTHER AND JOSEPH!!!

Oh, I can't respond to this right now. Cane, would you please educate our poor misguided friend, and keep in mind that he does live DEEP behind Occupied Terror-Tory in Kali...

*shaking head sadly and walking away*

JD

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The 1911 style is plebeian, the 1911 .460 Rowland is the HOLY GRAIL!

Gun style, and the further sub-set of manufacture, are all a matter of personal taste (and economic capability).

My preference is style; 1911 sub-set; Colt. I would love to own a Night Hawk but when I can get the quality of a Colt at less than half the entry fee of the NH, I go with Colt. (For now)

If everyone on the forum had the same tastes it would be a very boring place to visit. (Kinda like the Democratic Party) Bravado and insults spice up the exchange and keeps us comming back!

Viva le difference! The perfect gun is a myth. Your best bet is to listen to what others say and if it strums your heart strings, follow up with research to confirm your interest. There is no wrong choice if you employ this approach. Your decision is exactly that, yours! If my preferences are used in that decision it should be only superficial or you will be wearing "MY GUN" on your hip!

I am a Colt 1911 advocate and have no problem telling anyone that will listen all about my lust! With that said, always remember this quote by Mark Twain:

“The man who is most gullible is the man who is most certain of the truth.”

Oh he knows..........he knows.

Mea culpa: Don't tell anyone but there are a ton of guns (and Mfgs) out there that are very appealing to me. Alas, the aforementioned economic capability limits my ability to just buy them all!

With all that 'nice stuff' said;

All other than true 1911 believers must bow to the only true genius of firearms design!

............[​IMG]

............[​IMG]

Oh he knows..........he knows. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  17. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Can someone please check on JD. I think I may have given him a stroke

18. matt g

The platform is simplicity in it's purest form. Because of this, it lends itself to tuning at levels that aren't practical in other pistols. The controls are located exactly where they should be. They're ergonomically perfect and completely intuitive.

With a little discipline and a lot of range time, the 1911 becomes an extension of your body. There is no longer any thought process that goes into shooting, it's simply a rapid succession of "front sight, squeeze".

1911s do have lower magazine capacity than many other modern autos, but the single stack magazine allows for what is quite possibly the perfect grip thickness. Many modern 1911s are available with aluminum frames, which helps keep weight down. Many are also available with shorter barrels and slides.

I'm able to drop a magazine into a 10" steel plate at 50 yards in under 10 seconds. It took me 5 or 6 years of shooting my Kimber at least twice a month to do it, but it wouldn't be possible with a lesser pistol.

There are two types of people in this world, those who have never fired a well built 1911 and those who are "fanatics". The day I first fired a 1911 was the day that I traded my H&K USP for the down payment on one. I like to tell everyone considering purchasing a pistol that they owe it to themselves to compare a nice 1911 to the other pistols that they're looking at.

19. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Thanks for the info Matt. I think I'll go to the range and see if I become a believer.
    I keep hearing the term "well built 1911", meaning a good manufacturer? Like Colt or Kimber?.

20. leglesscrow

leglesscrow New Member

Ok, I too am in the market for a CCW! After reading this it has definitely opened my eyes to the world that is the 1911! So I went to the Kimber website and started reading. Turns out, there's only about 7000 different options and varieties on the model to choose from. So what are the suggestions as to which road to take in this "spaghetti junction"?