Looking at a 380

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by CO-OP180, Mar 1, 2012.

1. CO-OP180

CO-OP180 New Member

Hello all I am looking to get my wife the BodyGuard 380 for her to carry anybody have any input on it? Thanks to all that help out.

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

3. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

It is a great gun, but the laser is worthless.

It is so hard to activate and impossible with one hand.

By the time the laser gets activated, the NEXT gun fight is over.

The .38 bodyguard doesn't suffer from this issue.

If you need a .380 with a laser, buy a different one and a crimson trace laser.

If you only plan on using the laser on paper targets for fun then it's great.

Just teach her not to try to turn it in when she needs to use the gun in a self defense situation.

4. downsouth

downsouth New Member

That would be important information.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

is she a good shooter with lots of experience?? if she is new i would suggest a mid size or full size as a carry gun.

im going to asssume she is a new to firearms person.

i would let her pick out a gun rather than you telling her what to get. small guns arent fun or easy to shoot. the smaller the gun the more recoil and muzzle flip. guns like the sw380 i find downright painful to shoot. small "lady" guns are the worst thing the gun industry has perpetrated on female shooters.

a new shooter that has a bad experience with a small unpleaseant gun or a large unpleasent gun tend not to pursue the hobby. if you dont practice and you need a gun your not going to be good at it. during self defense life or death adrenaline spikes through the roof making even simple tasks extremely difficult.

my suggestion is not to handicap a new shooter with a very small unpleasent handgun when they would be better served by a larger combat pistol.

i let my wife go through the guncases of various gunshops and she settled on a xdm 9mm 4.5 inch. she shoots it pretty good. your wife might surprise you. lots of women like 1911s, glocks, sigs, xdm, cz, berretas.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

+1 JohnM

Like John I'm going to assume she's new to this and IF she carries it, will most likely choose to purse carry.
    The Bodyguard falls into the category of mouse guns, or as I call them, "noisy crickets".

These uber compact sub caliber handguns offer minimal stopping power in the MOST DIFFICULT to shoot platform available.
    They are sometimes called pocket guns because there made small enough to conceal in a pocket.

A woman with a purse does not have the problem we men face with concealment so there is NO reason to punish her with a sub power, crappy trigger, hard recoiling mouse gun.

If you truly want her to gain profficiency and see to her own safety then do the following:
    1. Find a range with rental guns and let her find her gun
    2. Have her google "concealment purse". There are tons of fashion savy handbags with dedicated holster pockets. This way, should she need it quickly, she won't have to dig through the 30 day supply of makeup and cotex most women carry.

Now, if JohnM and I are wrong and your wife is an accomplished shooter who's fired and likes the Bodyguard, well, nevermind.

Tack

7. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Agree with Jon and tack on this one

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

9. downsouth

downsouth New Member

JonM & tack, that really makes alot of since, about starting out on a full size gun.

10. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Gotta go with JonM and Tack on this, solid advice.

11. CO-OP180

CO-OP180 New Member

i want to thank all for the soild advice. i will do some hard and careful shopping this is something that you cant play around with and make a bad choice. once again thanks for the advice.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Big question. Can she rack a slide? An external hammer is easier to rack if you cock it first. You better find out before you jump. Have her shoot the gun before you buy. I have seen too many looks and feels good but does not shoot good episodes. The wife of someone on this forum bought a BG on looks and feel and hated it after she shot it.