looking at a .22 pocket pistol

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by boddah4, Aug 16, 2012.

1. boddah4

boddah4 New Member

I am looking to get a .22 pocket pistol for plinking purposes. I am want a semiautomatic over a designer. I know it is NOT a self-defense round so let's not get into that debate/lecture.

The ones that I am looking at are: Jimenez J22, Taurus PT22, Phoenix HP22, and Beretta Bobcat. I may also look into used guns for a Jennings J22 or Iver-Johnson TP22.

Are there any that I am missing? Does anyone have opinions on these choices?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Jennings or Jimenez can be scratched off of your list.

Although inexpensive, they are also CHEAPly made and probably would not stand up to the use you are wanting it for.

Of your list, the order to look at is Beretta, Taurus, Phoenix.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The only gun that you listed that I would consider is the Beretta. I already own a Jennings J-22. If you really want a jam-o-matic buy one. It would serve that purpose well. People buy them thinking that they are cheap. But you can not run a magazine of the cheap ammo through them. Seriously, you will get at least one jam per mag. It will run CCI Mini Mags fairly well. But I am thinking they run about $6 for 50 rounds. When you could buy 550 rounds of the cheap stuff less than $20. After you spend about $100 on ammo you will be pissed that you bought Jennings. And by the way, Jimenez is the same gun. They just changed names because of a lawsuit.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You might want to look into the ruger Sr22. It's supposed to be pretty good.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm thinking they have another lawsuit coming since one of their guns went kaboom right out of the box about a day ago. Buy their guns if you're looking for an inexpensive grenade.

6. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

That's a he'll of a grenade, pull the pin and boom... I kinda like the opportunity to throw it before it explodes!

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You and me both.

8. Glockluster

Glockluster New Member

i own a ruger sr 22 and deffenitly enjoy plinking with it. Another good one is the ruger markIII target pistol. Usually about $300 to $350 for either of them i believe.

9. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

bersa thunder 22 is another option, i've never shot one but there's some members on here that have them & say good things about 'em

10. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

The Bersa Thunder 22 is a good gun, very accurate, reliable, easy to clean and fun to shoot. You can't beat the price either, but magazines are a little harder to find and kind of expensive (yet I have 4).

It could be a pocket gun for its size, but it is definitely not as small as the Bobcat or the Taurus PT22 or PLY22.

It is the same size as the Thunder 380, which I have one of those also.

11. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I have a Beretta Bobcat and love it as a pocket pistol but a pocket pistol is usually not a plinker as the original post said this pistol was wanted for. Even in a .22 the pocket pistol is a 10 to 15 foot maximum gun and more realistic is less than 8 feet. They are great little back up carry guns but if you buy one expecting to plink cans at 25 yards I think you will be very disappointed.

If you truly want a pocket pistol I love my little Beretta but if you want a plinker look at something with a longer barrel. My favorite .22 plinker is my Ruger Charger. It is just a fun gun. Others are a Mark II or III and a Buckmark.

12. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

13. boddah4

boddah4 New Member

Thanks for all the advice. It looms like I am down to three choices: the Taurus PT22, Phoenix HP22, and the Bersa Thunder 22. I am a cheapskate so had the eliminate the Ruger SR22. I have to decide if I want the tip-up barrel of the Taurus, the extra 5 inch barrel of the Phoenix, or just go with the Bersa.

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I had a Beretta 21A (Bobcat) for a long time. It ran well on CCI Mini Mags. It was a very handy size. Sights were almost useless, but it pointed fairly naturally. Go up in size and try to find an old Beretta model 70 and then you have a pretty shootable .22. Not as small but still packable.

15. Hollander

Hollander New Member

I recently purchased a Bersa Thunder 22. Broke it in with Mini Mags. Tried Federal bulk pack but they do not feed well. Tried Remington Golden bullets and they work perfectly. It is a fun little gun to plink with and target shoot with. Easy to take apart and clean. I am glad I got it and look forward to putting a lot of rounds down range.

16. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

The Ruger MKIII 5.5" is a mighty fine plinkster I've had mine for 5 yrs and about 5,000 rds of mainly cheap bulk stuff from Walmart I can count the FTF on one hand.

[​IMG]

17. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

The bobcat is a good CCW for its size, it's fun at 5-7 yds maximum. Ive been considering a tomcat in .32 acp i like the tip up barrel, but theres no extractor on those models, so that could be a potential PITA.
    The ruger sr22 is fun and the mark III is fun too. The mk III would be better for further out. I guess the longer barrel helps.
    I like the browning 1911-22. Very unique 1911 and it's in .22!!! Check it out.

18. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

That sure is a nice gun. The issue here is that the OP is looking for a pocket gun to go plinking too. Maybe if he got an MKIII without a scope he could..............no, he couldn't.

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Get larger pockets? :)

20. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Love mine!!!