Looking at .204 Ruger

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Yamahog12, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Yamahog12

Yamahog12 New Member

I've read that this is a good caliber for predators (fox/yotes) at 250 yds and in, with little recoil and can be loaded to minimize pelt damage. I see a number of rifles out there with varying barrel lengths. What effect does a barrel, say 2" longer than another, have on accuracy out to 250 yds.? CZ offers 2 rifles in .204. One has a 22" barrel and weighs 2 lbs less than the other with a 24" barrel. What would be the benefits of one over the other?

Can anyone recommend a good rifle in .204? Thanks.

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I would`nt even think of it, if you do good luck finding ammo for it & if you do the price will scare you to death. I would reconsider unless you reload a lot !................

3. Yamahog12

Yamahog12 New Member

This is not a good caliber for the stated purpose?

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

for coyote hunting where you would not be making lots of shots, the shorter and lighter rifle would be probably more suited to your needs. it would be plenty capable at the distances you listed with a good scope attached.

the longer barreled version is probably a heavy barreled version and would give it just a slight edge in velocity over the shorter barreled version. this rifle would be more suited to the small rodent varmint hunter like prairie dogs and such at longer distances of 300-400 yards.

my Remington M700 in 204 Ruger has a lighter contoured 26" barrel on it with a factory synthetic stock. with my reloads, it will easily drop five rounds into practically the same hole when i concentrate on my shooting. with it's velocity and flatness, it's very close to being like a laser beam.

5. Yamahog12

Yamahog12 New Member

Thanks. Is it difficult to find factory loaded ammo in the .204?

6. Axxe55

in my area, i have no problems finding ammo. Walmart, two pawn shops and my LGS carry it. about $20-25 a box of 20 is the usual price. but i don't have that concern as i reload for mine. i have quite a bit of brass and will pick up a box or two every so often just so i have some new brass to reload with.

ammo availablity can be regional. i still can't get hardly any 22 rimfire ammo in my area yet. 9mm is not in abundant supply either.

7. Yamahog12

Yamahog12 New Member

I would eventually reload but would start with factory stuff at first. Thanks for your helpful replies.

8. Axxe55

i really like shooting my 204 Ruger. noise is a bit loud though! but next to no recoil at all. reloading can be a challenge because of the small diameter bullets.

9. Yamahog12

Yamahog12 New Member

For shooting coyotes and minimizing pelt damage, what would be a good factory round to try? Thanks.

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The .204 is an excellent varmint round;

BUT

It really won't do anything that a .223 won't do, and .223 ammo/components are much more readily available, offer a larger selection, and are usually less expensive.

And should you decide to hunt deer, the .223 is capable in good handfs, nbd legal in most states.

Having said all that, if you already have a .223, the .204 is a truly excellent excuse to buy a new rifle!:D

11. Axxe55

i already had an AR in 223/5.56 and i always wanted a rifle in 204 Ruger, and i lucked upon a M700 in 204 at a really good price with a decent scope, so i bought it.

but i have to agree, the 223 can be more versatile.

12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ruger/Hornady built the round based on a 26-inch barrel. It works best at that barrel length.

The 39-gr bullet works well on coyotes. I've got some 45-gr that I loaded expressly to use on wolves. And before you say anything a couple of guys on the Ruger 204 forum, that hunt them in Canada, say the 45-gr whollops them out to 300-yds if you do your job on shot placement. And if you run the numbers, the 204 at 45-gr have as much energy at 300, as the 44mag has at the muzzle. The problem is how frangible the bullet is.

13. Axxe55

you could always load a different style bullet.

check out these from Hornady.

http://www.hornady.com/store/20-Cal-.204-45-gr-SP/

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

CZ is an excellent rifle!! My 527 in .223 is going to be around for years.

Agreed, but the .204 with the right conditions does have an edge at range w/ a bullet of the same weight. But then again, you can load much heavier bullets in .223 The CZ Rifles in .223 Have a CIP chamber, you can shoot Mil-surp ammo no problem

Let me give you a little advice. The internet is full of experts. A 45gr .204 for wolves is plain stupid. If it has teeth and can run faster, jump higher and just may look at you and see a meal, you need more gun, lots more. I would consider 6.5x55, 7-08, .308, .30-06.. better options. You also better check your data. The 45gr SP has only 460fpe at 300 yards, not even close to .44 mag. at the muzzle. Now a 6.5x55 has 1243fpe w/ a 129gr at 300 yards. I'd feel a little better. If you have not done it, don't make a statement please.

15. Yamahog12

Yamahog12 New Member

Thanks. I presently hunt deer with a bow only. When I can no longer do that I have a 12 gauge shotgun with a slug barrel and also a Remington .257 Roberts rifle that was my Dad's.

16. jpattersonnh

That .257 Roberts is a classic. You already have one of the most versatile calibers ever. I would love to have a .257 Roberts. I've got a sweet 6.5x55, so the Bob can wait. But, some day!!!!

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The .257 is a delightful little round.

I really believe that the main reason it didn't become more popular was the propensity of older hunters to use overly heavy bullets.

It's a deer rifle, primarily, and loaded with 90-100 grain bullets has a very flat trajectory and a lot of thump.. Almost like a .270.

But too many folks stuffed 120 grain and even heavier bullets in it.:(

18. jpattersonnh

Since it is based on the 7x57, heavier bullets should not be a negative, either should lighter. There are many old hunters that do use the .257 Roberts, but with the advent of uber calibers it has a limited following. BTW, I am not a fan of the .270. Between 6.5x55 and 7mm Remington Magnum, I have it covered up and down. For the reason it is a classic proven round .257 Roberts deserves its' place. Just like 7x57.

19. Axxe55

the 257 Roberts is a fine cartridge. i regret ever selling mine years ago.

maybe one day i'll get another and it won't ever be sold or traded!

20. Yamahog12

Yamahog12 New Member

Unfortunately I came upon the rifle I have as a result of my Dad's death. It is a Remington model 722 in .257 Roberts. It has an old Weaver scope on it which I may replace with something better. My dad enjoyed blasting woodchucks with it as rifles were banned in Western NY for deer hunting. Not sure if that's still the case. I live up north where rifles are the norm for deer.

I bought the .204 Ruger for predator calling on those bitter cold dead still mornings we have up here. I wanted something that didn't kick like a mule and could leave the pelts in decent shape after the shot.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014