Lookin to purchase my first handgun

Discussion in 'California Gun Forum' started by DJA_15, Jul 4, 2020.

1. DJA_15

DJA_15 New Member

Hello all!

Just passed my FSC test and looking to purchase my first handgun. I apologize in advance if there is a thread on this already, but what do I need to bring with me to purchase a handgun?

Is there another test I will need to pass before walking out with the gun? Demo test or something? If so what does this test include?

Also I’m leaning towards buying a Glock 19 gen 4 is this a solid choice for my first handgun?

Thanks I’m advance for replies.

bluez and schnuffleupagus like this.
  2. Chuck Roberts

Chuck Roberts Member

I don’t know your State requirements, but generally there is just one test to pass for most CCW permits that I’m aware of.

As far as the gun itself, a Glock is never a bad choice. Many would call it the quintessential carry gun. I’m partial to the G26 myself...

3. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

DJA15. Welcome.
    Glock G19? First pistol? Get a gen5 cut for an optic. Research optics and get one you like, sure even a cheap one to start is ok.

I have no idea about California gun laws but your local gun store (LGS) will help you as long as you're legal.
    15939196787253875113066331031542.jpg

4. Sierra 173

Sierra 173 Active Member

If you check around your state or area, there may be indoor ranges where you can rent pistols to try out. Use your computer to google such places near you and call them before you go there. Find out the prices to rent the range and what safety gear you need to bring with you, like eye and ear protection. Most of these places will have their most popular brands for rent for you to test shoot.

Mister Dave likes this.
  5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

For sure you will need a picture id, e.g. a driver license.