Lookin to purchase my first handgun- Advice

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DJA_15, Jul 5, 2020.

1. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Those types of videos are what got me into wanting to learn even more about my weapon and going into a more further break down then what the manual states and learning every square inch of it.

G66enigma and Trunk Monkey like this.
  2. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I'm late to the party since the original inquiry goes back to 6 Jul.

The perfect handgun looks like this in Roman

MCMXI

3. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

You can't uncock a glock, and there's no safety. Plastic

Get you either a CZ-75, or a Browning Hi-Power.(GP-35) Both all metal, hammer fired, de-cockable, and suitable for smaller hands.

Rifling82 and Ingramite like this.
  4. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Rock River sells a MMXI that allows you to carry 15 rounds. Ooooh or in 10mm.

Awesome

formerCav and Ingramite like this.
  5. DJA_15

DJA_15 New Member

IMG_5526.jpg

Hello all,

First time shooting the 26. 10 or so yards out.

I have shot like 2-3 times before but obviously still new at shooting . I realize how bad the shooting is so spare me lol. Also have no clue why the pic is upside down lol sorry .

Few questions tho...

How difficult is it to shoot 10-15 yards accurately ? I feel I should be able to shoot from that distance pretty accurately even being a novice shooter. Is that not likely ?

How accurate is the hand gun from that range? I felt like I was lined up a few times aiming at same spot and it was going far left or far right lol. Like being lined up in same spot but bullets was hitting in diff area codes lol

Lastly any tips or vid to being able to shoot better with recoil and everything ?

Thanks all

6. schnuffleupagus

The G26 is a really short barrel. Plus its a Glock, not the most accurate weapon.
    Tune up the trigger. Practice Practice Practice

Remember the goal of the G26 is minute of bad guy.

DJA_15 and Rifling82 like this.
  7. DJA_15

DJA_15 New Member

Yeah I feel you. What do you mean the g26 goal is a minute of bad guy?

8. schnuffleupagus

Precision shooters talk about "minute of angle" basically 1" at 100 yards. Minute of bad guy is torso shots at 10m

Once you get satisfied with your measured accuracy. Practice pulling collecting target and pumping 2 shots. And again. Then repeat.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  9. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you take a basic handgun class from a professional instructor who can watch you shoot and correct any deficiencies.

Having said that that's really not bad shooting for 10 yards

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  10. John Lee

John Lee New Member

Check out this moa explanation

DJA_15 likes this.
  11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The G26 is plenty accurate for its intended purpose. You do have to work on your sight picture and possibly your grip. I have night sights on mine and they are easier to see. I need all the help I can get with the seeing part.

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

take a class and you will save LOTS of money on bullets and won't develop the BAD habits that you MIGHT BE acquiring right now!
    There are LOTS of things involved in shooting.
    sight picture,
    sight alignment,
    BRASS (breath, relax, aim, slack, squeeze)
    NPA (natural point of aim)
    Dragging wood
    sear reset or trophy trigger
    eye dominance.
    YOUR GRIP itself. TWO hands, firm but not death grip, right hand (if right handed) around grip, thumb down,
    left hand, the meat of the hand under your thumb should be making contact with the left grip panel on the pistol and your fingers wrapped around your other fingers, thumb down. etc etc.
    Take a class. other wise you will piss through a 1000 rounds at 300 bucks and learn nothing.

13. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are new to handguns, this is not a time to be looking for any 9mm. First, you need to learn to shoot a handgun. That means go buy a good 22 that you can afford to shoot a lot because shooting a handgun well is not easy and you will have to shoot a lot to ever accomplish it.

tac foley likes this.
  14. Sierra 173

Sierra 173 Active Member

It looks like you fired 10 rounds. Nine of your shots were in the center mass which is good. The one round went over the target's left shoulder. From what I see of the target you need to keep the pistol aimed at one place repeatedly and slow down on your trigger pull. You're really off to a good start.

Also keep in mind if your Glock is brand new, you need "to break it in a bit" which means shoot it so that the parts better mesh. New pistols and rifles need to be broken in which involves shooting at least 300 to 500 rounds through them. During this break in process the parts sort of wear down a bit and find their optimum moving areas and looking for potential stress or points that may break down. Every time you shoot the pistol clean and oil it. When you clean and oil it, look for the wear marks but don't be too concerned unless they look really deep or excessive. If you have gouges instead of straight line wear marks, have the pistol checked out by a competent gunsmith.

Also take some basic gun classes from a local firearms instructor. A good basic instruction class will teach you the basics of shooting, all about malfunctions and safety issues as well. They will also teach you how to properly carry a firearm for travel purposes and concealed as well too.

Once you get the instruction, go practice often until you know your pistol really well. Pistols are great for having fun in the sun.

tac foley, OLD Ron, DJA_15 and 3 others like this.
  15. DJA_15

DJA_15 New Member

16. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

17. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

I'd start at 4-5yds, max, to begin with. Ensure your essential trigger technique is good. Ensure your grip (ie, two-handed modified Weaver, or whatever) is good. Just be patient and smooth in your handling and trigger work. Go slowly. One shot at a time. Ensure you make the minor adjustments in aim, from one shot to the next. Keep dialing in the little variables until you're reliably (at 4-5yds) able to keep everything within a spot about the size of your hand.

Then, move out to 7yds. Then do it all over again. Slowly work your way up in accuracy, slowly (once accuracy has been achieved) begin speeding up in slow increments. And so on. Once you've gotten pretty good at repeatable accuracy at 7yds, then move out to 10yds and ... you guess it ... start all over again.

I know it sounds time-consuming. It is. No way around that, when you're starting as a newbie with shooting. There is a lot to get the "feel" for, with muscle memory, with balance, with the minor differences in grip and trigger technique. We all know how to aim, instinctively, so that part's not all that hard; but the mechanics to get the job done can be a little foreign when we're new to it.

It's fine, I think.

I've shot probably ~500rds or so out of the Glock G26, and probably 6-8x that number out of the G19. Don't own either. But the grip angle and overall balance while firing seems to match my technique, strength, sense of balance and aim. So, I do okay.

At 5yds, you ultimately ought to be able to get the entire magazine worth of rounds in a ~3in spot, give or take. Though that might take time to get to, the gun's certainly capable. It does have a fairly short sight radius, so as such it'll be a bit more difficult than, say, the G19.

At 7-10yds, it'll be a bit more difficult to do. Your technique, muscle memory, balance and "feel" for the little factors will have to markedly improve to be as accurate at 10yds as you were at 5yds. The gun's capable of a 3-5in diameter grouping of a full magazine worth of shots. The G19, absolutely.

Much of accuracy is going to come from your trigger pull technique. Most of us, as we pull the finger for the trigger, our hand's curling closed. Well, that'll naturally tend to pull the muzzle off-line, off to the side. Which kills accuracy. It's vital to learn to, for lack of a better term, separate the finger from your hand ... so that the hand doesn't curl closed altogether, yet the finger on the trigger can independently move rearward without affecting the aim of the muzzle on target. Takes time. Review Youtube vids from reputable trainers on trigger technique. And then go over it, again and again.

Also consider doing "dry fire" exercises with the gun. Unloaded, using "snap caps" to protect the firing pin, work on your trigger technique some 100+ times a day, day after day, until your triggering is no longer boogering your aim. Might take some weeks, but if you focus and go slowly, practicing daily, it'll quickly come.

As for aim, generally, I'd work on some light to moderate strength training of your shoulders, upper back and chest, and your arms. Also on your forearms and hands. In months ahead, as you gradually get stronger, you'll find you're expending less of a percentage of your overall strength to get the job done, and it'll become easier to stand there with arms extended doing longer sessions of shooting. For awhile, yet, just focus on quality trigger technique, quality grip, good aim and balance, and slowing going through the basics. Once your basic accuracy's good enough, and your strength improves, then you'll find accuracy gets better by another notch.

Handling recoil, though? I've never learned a surefire way to better manage it. Other than ensuring your stance is fairly "athletic" and "forward" sufficiently so your weight is on your front leg and you're ready for what recoil's going to occur. AGain, there are vids out there (on Youtube and elsewhere) that can provide a reasonable guide to a decent basic stance that'll work.

For me, what's also helped is to visualize the bore axis going right down the center of the heel of my hand, up through the center of the forearm, right to the shoulder. Slightly bent at the elbow, but that alignment can help use your body's weight as resistance to better control what recoil occurs.

One of the reasons I myself prefer the modified-Weaver stance as compared to the isosceles (stiff-arm) approach is that it has a built-in cushion with the bent elbow to suck up much of the recoil. Might not find it quite as simple to master, but in the long run it might be something you find aids in recoil management a bit better than some of the other stances.

I'd also consider doing a "Handgun 101" class with a qualified, decent trainer who's had long experience with teaching use of sidearms. You'll get immediate feedback, which is hard with videos and online posts on a forum. You'll likely find it invaluable, if you find the "right" trainer.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  18. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

I'll just repeat my post from last July...............

@OP - If you haven't shot around a thousand rounds of whatever in your first month of shooting, then IMO you are not serious about learning to use a handgun.

THAT's why 9mmP is a better choice than just about anything else other than a .22RF for ANY nood to handgun shooting.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    schnuffleupagus likes this.
  19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

My advice is don't overpay for whatever you buy, because, in a few months or perhaps years, you are going to want to sell that one and buy another.

20. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ergonomics: Buy a handgun, which fits your hand, and comes to point at the target with the least thought.

Pick up and hold a variety of handguns, and operate the controls. Is the safety where your thumb naturally operate it, or do you need to shift your grip slightly? If it has a slide release, can you easily operate it? I took a girlfriend shopping for a hand gun, and on the majority of slide releases she didn’t have enough strength to operate the slide release one handed. On a few, neither I or the counter guy could operate the side release one handed.

Hold the handgun in a natural grip, and point it at a site point about ten to fifteen feet away. The site point can be any fixed object, just be aware of the line of site, and potential safety issues. At my LGS, they have mirrors behind the counter, so if you aim at your self in the mirror, the reflection is effective 15-foot distance.

Hold the gun at your side, by your hip, bring it up and site the aiming point. Do that five or six times. Then do it with you eyes closed. Open your eyes. Are you aiming where you thought? Low and right there is too much grip angle, high and left too little grip angle.

There are folks who will argue that if you do enough range time, you will learn where things are on the gun, and overcome your natural tendencies regarding the grip angle effecting the point of impact.

And you can, while on the range. But, when you get in a high adrenaline shooting situation, all that range training tends to go out the window.

That is why, you have two cops, and one bad guy, having a fire fight in a ten by twelve bedroom, firing complete magazines, and sometimes even second magazines at each other, with no, or minor injuries.. Everybody involved reverted back to the basic ergonomics, and nobody’s range practice has survived in the crucible of combat.

They are now fumbling with controls, not pointing the gun where they think, and jerking shots off, because the controls, grip and trigger never fit them.

formerCav and alsaqr like this.