Lookin to purchase my first handgun- Advice

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DJA_15, Jul 5, 2020.

1. DJA_15

DJA_15 New Member

Hello,

I was pretty set on a Glock 19 (Gen 3) cause CA doesn’t allow gen 4 or 5 .

Everywhere I’m lookin they are sold out with no real restock in sight lol.

My question is what other handguns are good as a first purchase like the Glock 19?

What other combines make solid handguns and which to stay away from?

Completely new to the gun game as a whole.

Thanks.

bluez and Trunk Monkey like this.
  2. DJA_15

DJA_15 New Member

Edit: Handgun will be used for range shootin and as a weapon for protection around the house.

Less recoil the better .

I don’t have big hands.

Thanks

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

CZ P10

S&W M&P

Canik

It will be hard to find anything right now.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

If you dont like big recoil stick to 9mm or less.
    Since you are not looking at conceal carry a full size gun should be in your future.

-An example is the Smith and Wesson M&P 9 (they come in Gen 1 and Gen 2, wih the Gen 2 being a bit more desirable, just as well reviewed as the Glocks.. some people prefer their ergonomics and come with 4 different backstraps for the grip so you can experiment which size grip you like.
    -Since u r new to shooting a Revolver is not out of the questions either... the latest version of the Smith and Wesson Model 66 might be worth a look.
    Its not terribly large as far as revolvers go
    .. takes both 357 Magnum and 38 SPC, you could load it with 38 SPC or 38 SPC +P and not worry about too much recoil.

Now is not a great time to buy as demand is high, so no seller will budge below MSRP...

Lots of nice handguns out there I will let the next guy pick up and give u other examples..

GMG2 likes this.
  5. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

The Smith &Wesson M&P series are highly thought of and to me sit better in your hand than a Glock in my opinion. Why not check out a few ranges in your area and see if they rent various brands to shoot. Go with a well known brand and see what suits you.

GMG2 and Rifling82 like this.
  6. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Just be certain all you look at are CA legal.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sig Sauer would be another one to look at. My daughter has one but dont know what model. She and her husband carry 9mm S&W M&P Shields and yes they live in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornistan. I believe the grandson has a 9mm CZ Rami. The Shields are CA legal and reasonably priced. Excellent compact pistol and work well for smaller hands.
    You might also look at the Ruger line but I dont know which ones are CA legal.
    The Glock Gen 3 did not fit my hand. It was actually painful to shoot. The Gen 4 is excellent.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  8. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Stick with the Glock. It is amazingly reliable and forgiving, easy to learn and maintain, easy to carry, and very durable. Gen 3 is as good as or better than 4 or 5, by the way.

To the comment above, yes some people me including like the un-grooved grip better but find the difference to be minimal.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    schnuffleupagus and SRK97 like this.
  9. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Steer clear of Glock. Odd grip angle and a bit over rated and over priced.

If you can find a used Ruger sr9c you'll have a pistol at least as reliable as any Glock. With better ergonomics, better trigger, easier to carry than a G19 , and customer service 2nd to none. For a couple hundred less .

10. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Why?

California is a ban state.

He's limited to 10 rounds and only guns on the approved roster.

Several people I know who live in California and who don't have Blue Privilege report that California legal Glock and M&P magazines have issues. They reccomend picking a gun that's normally close to 10 rounds anyway. I think it was Craig Douglas (Southnarc) recommended a Glock 19 cut down to take a 26 magazine.

If I lived in California I'd get a Shield or maybe a .45C.

11. DJA_15

DJA_15 New Member

Thanks for everyone’s replies so far! How do we feel about a Springfield xd9 tactical?

12. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Just personal experience talking here of one guy, but what I've seen out Springfield pistols at security training etc I'd steer clear of em. If I was going to bet my life on the pistol working. JMO.

DJA_15 likes this.
  13. Mcsorleyprobert

Mcsorleyprobert Active Member

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

didn’t see the P30 on CAs approved list.

15. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's on the approved list but if I lived in California I would take a real hard look at the Glock 48

16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I think the "why" is right there in the post... the poster stated to be sensitive to recoil and wanting to use it on the range or for home defense.
    No requirement for concelaed carry.
    This requirement is the sole reason compact and sub compact handguns exist.

When that requirement isnt there you always way recommend a fullsize gun.

also a full size firearm = less recoil... since he does not need to conceal then the greater ease of control that is inherent in a full size firearm is also helpful.

Your advice is flawed.. a new shooter and a compact or even subcompact handgun are generally accepted to not be a good combination.
    Not only is it common sense but i can tell you from teaching noobs.

All of this is common sense.
    Even if this issue with downloaded cali mags is as pervasive as you imply it does not override the basics.

17. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

People usually love 'em or hate 'em.
    Please let us know your budget .. this will also influence our recommendations.

DJA_15 likes this.
  18. DJA_15

DJA_15 New Member

Budget up to 0-1000

Thanks

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  19. DJA_15

DJA_15 New Member

Hello, do what would you recommend?

20. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

At this budget you have a lot of options.
    Only the most expensive handguns are over a grand...

I realize you also have to go by whats available at the time.
    9mm in full size:

-Beretta 92 (full size, service type gun)
    -PX4 Storm in 9mm, a bit smaller..
    -Any 4 inch barreled .357 Magnum revolver ( which are super easy to use and will shoot the cheaper 38 SPC round as well... which also has less recoil..), Also for a new shooter super easy to use. Examples Smith+Wesson Combat magnum model 66.., Colt King Cobra Target, Ruger Security 6
    -Sig Sauer 226 and similar
    - Smith and Wesson M&P 9 fullsize or 9C... preferably in the 2.0 version (which all new ones sold are now), nothing wrong with the 1.0 but the 2.0 is a bit improved in some areas..
    - I have no experience with the Springfield XDs, people either love'em or hate 'em.. for your budget they are in the lower range.
    - Nothing wrong with a Glock 19... except no external safety.. the cool kids will disagree... but thats how I feel especially with a novice shooter..
    - I know PPL will harangue me for this but by all accounts the new Taurus G3 full size is supposed to be good by all accounts.. also its very in-expensive and you can use the saving for ammo and training. Have yet to shoot it myself though.. but I shot the predecessors a lot and liked the ergonomics over many more expensive guns. And ergonomics are important.
    - There are so many good guns out there.... back in the 80's there were a lot of crappy guns out... but now competition and the market have made it so you'd really have to try to buy a "bad" gun..

Unless you buy a revolver, try to go with 9mm.
    The most common round available and with very reasonable recoil.

Right now handguns without an external safety are very popular.. examples are Glocks and (most) Smith &Wesson M&Ps (but they can be had with external safety) ...... murphy's law is still around.. even as a non-beginner I still want an external safety to carry....
    It's not a "cool" position to take, but I think its prudent.

Someone else mentioned this... a lot of ranges will let u rent guns... try out several.. until you get one you really like... then buy that model or something close.

Also dont forget to budget a bit extra for training and ammo.
    Be sure to take at least one training course even if its just a one dayer at the local NRA site.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020