lookin for a new toy

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jimogden1984, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

What would be a good rifle that's fun and fairly cheap to shoot? There's a gun show this weekend and I'm gonna see what I can find. What suggestions do you guys have I should look for? I already have a couple 12 guages and 22s, lookin for something with a lil more bang. Its mostly gonna be something to have fun with but if it can double as a realistic sd gun that'd be fine with me.

2. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Get an AR or pick up the parts to build one.

3. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

I am going to a gun show saturday in ft. lauderdale. I have a short list of things that I am gonna get.

4. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

This ones in overland park

5. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

That would be great but a lil out of budget...

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Come with a buget, how many dollar can you spend to play. Don't except to find a deal at a gun show. Look at them ,finger them buy typicaly you can save big dollars buying at a LGS. Ar start at $600 bucks ,savage 200 at $300 Theres many in between. Think about a 223 & 5.56 for lower cost shooting.

7. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I've only been to one gunshow so far and wasn't able to stay long so I really don't know that much about em. Ill def check out the local shops this week before I go, there's a new one pretty close to home I haven't been to yet. Might have to stop by on my way home from work.

8. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

I have never purchased a gun at a gun show...just accessories. But, like anything I do my research whether i am buying a new coffee pot or especially a $500+++ gun. I am sure you could make a rash decision based on a fast talking dealer. Have a good idea what you want first and know about how much you can get it for in the store or online then hit the shows...also a gun show is good so at least you can hold pretty much anything you want.

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want a fun and cheap shooter, buy a Mosin Nagant. A hundred bucks or so, and if you buy ammo in bulk about 18 cents a round. Look for a good bore and you will have a good shooter. Even more fun then the 91/30 are the carbine versions from $150.00 to about $250.00.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You really need to know what you are looking for at a show. Do some research, make a list. If I wanted a pure shooter, I'd start w/ a Swedish Mauser. Next a 24/47, next an Argentine Mauser. Maybe an FR8. The 91/30 is a good rifle, but not in the same class.

11. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I'm lookin at a budget of about 600-700. I was gonna buy a sig p238 as a backup or when my 1911 isn't practical but I'm thinkin long gun instead. I saw a mini 14 in a pawnshop today that they claimed only had been shot 6 times...not too sure I believe that one haha. I've also heard mixed reviews on the mini 14, is it worth the 650 they wanted for it? Would an ak be better? What else is there I might want to check out in this range of weapons? I've also been wondering about the keltec su16.

I was supposed to get my tax returns this week but I just found out uncle sam wants to keep my money a couple more weeks and I'm not gettin it till march 6th. I might pick up a mosin nagant at the show to have a lil fun with while I wait but I'm gonna have to wait for anything else, might be a good thing though cause ill be able to do a lil more lookin around and research on what I want.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012