Looked at youth guns yestereday...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by 2manyhobbies, Mar 26, 2013.

1. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

Cricket and Stoger so far... I have a grandkid on the way and it doesn't hurt to shop :D

Looked at a break open, but.....:rolleyes:

At present I am leaning for safety sake to a single shot bolt action to teach safety, and to make that one shot count.;)

So from the BTDT crew what have you looked at, bought, why, and how did your kid like it:confused:

2. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Kid? I looked for a pink Crickett for myself and ended up with the adult walnut-stocked one!

OK, it was for a project and I thought they'd have a pink one laying around for half price. I had to wait many months for a run of .22 Mag actions to be produced which is all I really wanted. Very simple gun. OK quality. Reminds me a little of one of the old Winchester Boy's rifles of yesteryear...

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Go with a youth model Henry. Beautiful gun and definately more of a keepsake than the other stuff. Still a lot of manipulation goes into running the lever action for the safety teaching.

4. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

Got my kids a Rossi combo a few years back it has been a good gun they have a good time shooting the 22 and it's very accurate and my oldest boy squirrel hunts with the 410 and u can pick them up very cheep

5. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I vote for the Henry lever repeater Youth model. I'd like one myself. :cool:

7. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Check ot the youth guns from Savage & Marlin, nicely made firearms. My preference is the Savage with the accu trigger.:) Cliff

8. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

I have heard of the youth Henry lever but have decided that a repeater for a first gun is off the list.
    As a kid I learned on an old SS bolt action .22 and it taught me discipline, safety, and to make my one shot count, that and a box of 50 lasted a very long time.:D

Up to that point all I knew abut was the cricket n the Henry, two different gun shops two different guns, Stoger and the Cricket.
    The Cricket actually had a mediocre scope factory mounted in the $200. ball park, the Stoger was pocket change low at $159.

My kids had no such options but I still have the Savage .410 / .22 over under SS I bought them to learn on. Good gun but the action is a tad long for a kid, I was at one point tempted to have the stock cut down, but fortunately decided against it.

9. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

I have heard of the youth Henry lever but have decided that a repeater for a first gun is off the list.
    As a kid I learned on an old SS bolt action .22 and it taught me discipline, safety, and to make my one shot count, that and a box of 50 lasted a very long time.:D

Up to that point all I knew abut was the cricket n the Henry, two different gun shops two different guns, Stoger and the Cricket.
    The Cricket actually had a mediocre scope factory mounted in the $200. ball park, the Stoger was pocket change low at $159.

My kids had no such options but I still have the Savage .410 / .22 over under SS I bought them to learn on. Good gun but the action is a tad long for a kid, I was at one point tempted to have the stock cut down, but fortunately decided against it.

Savage and Marlin have youth guns too... Cool!! I definitely appreciate the feed back and ideas! I mean the first gun although it does not need to be a hi / low dollar gun, it does need to be reliable, accurate and fun to shoot while teaching them good handling practices and safety!:cool:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  10. winds-of-change

As always, I'm looking to learn something new. Why would a lever action not be a good first gun? You can only shoot one round then you have to "lever" it. Just like a bolt action. I think maybe a bolt action might be easier for a child to work, I don't know. I have shot my Dad's Marlin bolt action and I suppose, in time, I would get good at working the bolt but I always find it to be 'choppy' and not very smooth.

But I have noticed no one really buys their child a lever action as a first rifle so there must be a reason why.

11. Todd33

Todd33 New Member

I bought my daughter a Thompson Center hot shot love it had Rossi first sold it didn't shoot very good

12. winds-of-change

Please excuse my lack of knowledge and be patient with me. Is that a semi-auto?

13. Haus

Haus New Member

I bought my daughter the Remington youth 514 single shot for her birthday. This rifle will give your child some added length if they are too tall for the cricket, but unable to handle the size of a normal 22. I picked it up at Academy on sale after Christmas for $98. It's been a great little rifle, plus I can always find ammo since it accepts 22 shorts.

14. Todd33

Todd33 New Member

The T/C hotshot is a single shot looks just like a encore you can also adjust stock length by adding extension

15. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

This is just my opinion but the SS bolt action, you have to reload after every single shot, the safety engages, so you get one shot one try, have to make it count, point the gun in a safe direction, reload, work the safety an hour later you all have had a heap of fun, used up your box of 50..:D

Lever action, shoot, rack, shot, rack, shoot rack on till MT no safety other than half cock.... So if you miss just keep shooting, lots of fun but I can burn 50 rounds in 10 minutes or less in mine....;)

So the SS bolt tends to is to teach a discipline ("Aim Small Miss Small" The Patriot) that will last the kid the rest of their life, the lever action is for later once they have proven them self, and are ready for an upgrade...:cool:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  16. winds-of-change

Thank you so much. Makes perfect sense. I didn't realize that about some bolt actions. I have shot my Dad's bolt action Marlin rifle and I was able to load ten/twelve rounds, maybe (?) in the tube mag. So I didn't realize the bolt action you were talking about was load, shoot, load, shoot.

I have so much to learn. :eek:

17. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Winds,

My focus to teaching the first time shooter (father of 6) is too ensure the rifle fits the child properly. That safety shape, form are taught at the same time hitting the target is. First lessons are always from the bench supported. Think of the pictures where the little kids are struggling to shoot an oversize 22 rifle.

A bolt action 22 rifle, provides for a better intial fit, to shoot from the bench. Plus a bolt action forces a controlled routine of loading and removing the spent cartridge.

Kids like thier fathers enjoy shooting rapid fire :D so, the 22 semi autos are for later, lever guns are for later also. Another issue with lever guns is the cycling action itself for the smaller hands, that barrel can be dancing left right up and down as they manipulate the lever.

FWIW...

18. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

So far on the SS kids gun list we have..
    Stoger
    Cricket
    Remington
    TC
    Savage
    Did I miss any?

19. winds-of-change

Thanks. ............

20. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Another thing to point out that I like about the Cricket is its peep sight. I prefer the peep sight to instruct new young shooters. They pick up on the sighting dynamics very quickly.

Ohh and Kudo's to you for being a great PawPaw! As old as I am.. I still cherish the memories and times with the most important male figure in my life, My Grandfather.