Look what the mailman brought me. (M16A1)

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sputnik1988, Nov 1, 2013.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Original Colt M16a1 parts, I threw the idea of using all new parts around but just couldn't pass on owning the real deal and I wanted it to be historically accurate, I'm going to use a quality LPK and bcg to insure she runs right.

Ordered a new manufacture 20" A1 profile 1/7 barrel from McKay
    http://store.mckay-ent.com/parts/m16-a1-replacement-barrel.html

Yeah I know 1/7 isn't correct, but it'll make for a better rifle overall.

I picked up the Colt upper, slip ring assembly, handguard retainer and FSB from Apex. https://www.apexgunparts.com/
    They aren't the cheapest but their parts were in the best overall condition.

It's going to be a long build, I still need to decide what lower to go with until I get a true A1 or Xm spec lower fom NoDak Spud. http://www.nodakspud.com/AR Lowers.htm

Will be refinishing the rifle with Norrells moly resin and sending the upper parts to Adco for assembly and removal of the flash on the FSB.

I'll throw up a build thread when I get a bit further in, wish me luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. sputnik1988

Likely the finished product here.

M16A1

Attached Files:

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So which original M16 parts did the mailman bring you? That rifle pictured above is one of my favorite incarnations of the M16/AR15, too. Very cool. And, that barrel is correct, at least in today's versions. Apparently, you also should shoot heavier bullets out of this (1/7) barrel. I did not realize this when I bought my Colt AR M4 recently, and it's harder finding the ammo. A lot of the stuff out there is 55 grain.

And, I have been meaning to ask, what is the current bullet weight loaded for the military in 5.56? Is it the 62's? I'm having some 69 grain ammo made up for mine.

4. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I wanna go back to the day when the mailman would actually bring you a real M16A1.

The parts are fine, but I'd rather the fellers at Colt did the assembly work for me.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nice project, sputnik1988! Please keep this thread going as you do this build! It would be very informative to many of us who also are tempted to do a retro build.

I think a more modern 1:7 or 1:9 twist is a smart choice.

6. sputnik1988

Thanks Quentin, I'm really excited about it, it'll be a long process but worth it.

The colt parts are the upper w/ forward assist and port door, the slip ring assembly (early m16s didn't have a delta ring) the fsb and the handguard retainer.

7. kaido

kaido New Member

I'm not to sure what you guys south of the border are using, but it know us Canadians are using a 62gr bullet.

8. sputnik1988

Keeping the thread alive, got a minor update.;)

After quite a bit of research, I've found that John Thomas over at Retroarmsworks.com is the go to guy for work on these. I'm sending it out to him when funds permit to have the FSB flash removed, reparked and pinned and also all the steel parts parked in a original grayish color.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  9. Javierzzz28

Javierzzz28 New Member

You want to build the M16A1? Why dont you buy one?i know building a gun is enjoyable...

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

You can shoot 55gr bullets out of a 1:7 just fine. It's pretty accurate with them, though I wouldn't go any lighter.

Attached Files:

11. texaswoodworker

Nice! I always liked the look of the original m16s. Can't wait to see the final result.

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Texaswoodworker;
    Thanks! That's an awesome chart! Where did you get it? I pasted that into a note for future reference. According to that, best for my barrel starts at 69 grain, which is what I'm having made up.

And I also like the above photo of the M16-A1 upper. I've always liked that version. If anyone has a Colt carrying handle to sell, contact me. My Le6920 didn't come with one, and I think it adds the look I like.

13. texaswoodworker

No problem. :)

I found it somewhere on this forum in a thread full of useful info for ARs. I can't find that thread again for some reason though.

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Can this use a modern BCG, or will it require one of those SP1 carriers?

I only ask because I'm unsure, and I believe there can be fit issues in some cases. Just throwing that out there in case it's a potential sticking point...but it sounds like you know what you're doing.

15. sputnik1988

The only fit issues I'm aware of are the upper to lower, in rare cases it may require a bit of fitting. I've tried my upper on a DPMS lower and it fit well, I also tried it on Dads Bushmaster and it had a nice snug fit.

Any carrier will work, (I've tested a Daniel Defense and Bushmaster) the only ones with a difference between any of the parts would be the original prototypes and offshoots, that and some civilian Colts have oversized trigger pins.
    You could build one of these with anything from Stag and DPMS internals to Daniel Defense and Noveske depending on what quality you were going for.

Really you could use any barrel you wanted also as long as you had it reprofiled to use a .625 FSB.

There is a ton of info on different models specs at http://retroblackrifle.com/, nothing too technical though.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  16. sputnik1988

Getting closer, got some more of my parts in.

Still waiting on some small bits from Sarco.

Current items are as follows.

DPMS buffer, tube and spring. Yeah it's DPMS, it's also a part that's hard to mess up;)

Norelles Moly-resin. Exact match to original color

Lauer weaponry manganese parkerizing solution.

Original Colt M16A1 upper w/ FA and rear sight.

Colt port door assembly

PSA lower parts kit, refinished to an original gray color with naval jelly. With the right technique naval jelly will turn black parkerizing gray, but it takes some care as it can turn out splotchy.

PSA charging handle

PSA premium HPT/MPI bolt carrier group

DPMS gas tube

McKay enterprises M16A1 1/7 barrel

original Colt barrel nut assembly with slip ring.

Colt handguard cap

Colt M16A1 front sight base.

I may throw up a more informational and formal build thread when I'm finished to make it easier to follow.
    ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  17. sputnik1988

Got bored and since it's my last day off for awhile, I thought I'd do some refinishing. I airbrushed my upper with Norelles grayish black flat. Turned out ok, hopefully some of the sheen dulls down with time.

The parkerizing on the other hand turned out awesome, it was my first time doing it but it was extremely easy to do.

Still debating on whether or not to re-park the barrel.

Baby steps but I'm getting there.;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  18. sensei9

sensei9 New Member

Nice. Brings back some memories. I work on a bunch of those when I was in the Army.

19. sputnik1988

Another teaser just because I'm bored:p

Yeah I know the lower is totally wrong but I just wanted to see how the refinished upper looks on a black A2 lower since it will live on one until I get an A1 spec lower from NoDak.

I've got a line on a PSA lower for $70, hoping that works out.

Still gotta get that FSB pinned, just keep putting it off.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014