Look at this!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by winds-of-change, Sep 2, 2011.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

As some of you know, I tried to put new grips on my Mark II (now known as Minnie) and ran into a bit of trouble. As in, I took my gun apart and couldn't get it back together. Here's the saga.......

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/yes-i-am-now-one-those-45994/

Here's the gun.........

[​IMG]

Well, for a month I worked on this gun off and on. The 'off' time is when I was waiting for springs to be sent from Ruger that went flying off my gun across my room never to be found. I worked on this gun, I whined, I *****ed, I got frustrated, I got angry, I was disappointed (mostly in myself).

There were some people in particular that were so good to me during this time. One was Glass as woman to woman she encouraged me and had faith in me. One was JonM who was always in the standby to have me drive up to visit him and he'd get the job done for me. One was StalkingBear who offered to get on the phone with me and we'd put our guns together step by step. Him in Kentucky with his Mark II, me in Illinois with mine. I'm telling you, Bear has the patience of an absolute SAINT!! Last but no least was Shihan, who posted the links that helped me get this gun together. I don't think he ever once doubted I was going to get the job done. (This is starting to sound like I won an academy award or something, isn't it?)

Anyway, I have finally successfully gotten Minnie together. All by myself. With my own two hands.

And here she is..........Presenting Minnie the Mark II

Scoped, but just for looks. Bear is going to scope and zero it properly when I go to visit him and his family in three weeks. I think I may need taller rings.

[​IMG]

Looking beautiful in her new grips. (Which started all the trouble in the first place.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. winds-of-change

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Looks great, glad you got those grips.

Can't tell much from the photo, but I think you're right about the scope rings.

4. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Yay!

Grips look very nice and I hope they feel just as good to your hands.

Your scope seems a little... *over the top* for a MKII but it's still (partially) a free country. ;)

You will enjoy that pistol for years to come and maybe even for all the rest of your days.

Be Well.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Doesn't it feel great?

A Baptism of Fire is cathartic!

Attached Files:

6. winds-of-change

Well, the scope touches the rear sight when it's mounted. I imagine it shouldn't be.

Hmmm..........does anyone else think the scope is too much for this pistol? I want to be able to shoot a marble off the head of a sparrow at 100 yds. :D

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Great job WOC...way to hang in there beyond where many would have given up in frustration.

8. winds-of-change

Oh, I gave up in frustration many times. :D Then I'd ignore it for a few days then go at it again. I am incredibly stubborn with a big dose of pride and independence. I could have had JonM put this together at any time. But I really, REALLY, REALLY wanted to complete the job with my own two hands.

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I'm impressed! I traded my Ruger .22 after deciding that I was not double jointed enough to tear it down and get it back together.:)

TACK

10. winds-of-change

Well, I have no trouble field stripping it for cleaning but it was the internals, as in the hammer and the sear parts that gave me a very difficult time.

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Geeez WOC… did you have to compliment Glass,,,:( she is hard enough to live with as it is but now she will be absolutely insufferable..

Scubie

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well.....what scope IS it?

And if I were you, I would work on the sparrow's head first and, once you can do that nine out of ten times, work on the marble!

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Excellent news! Those grips make it look worth all the frustration. Can you get a clear close-up pic of the rear of the mounted scope? I can't tell much with my poor eyesight & those small pics.

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations!

15. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

I fully support your choice of an optic, I was just funnin' you.

It's your pistol...be happy. :D

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I had faith in you and knew you could do it.

Welcome to the area that we call....

"One those now!" :)

17. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Way to go girl! I love the grips!

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

WOC...is that an African or a European swallow?

Sorry Lons avatar made me do it.

19. winds-of-change

The scope is a Bushnell 'Trophy' -XLT- 2-6 X 32 scope. Recommended to me by Bear.

It's not your eyesight, it's the lousy photo. I'll try to post a better one tomorrow. I just woke up and need to go to work soon but I'll remount the scope and take more pictures tomorrow, getting close ups of the scope mount.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well that seems just about right. Good luck!