Look at this..........

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by winds-of-change, Jul 28, 2011.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I got this in the mail today. 2-6 X 32. For my Mark II. Can I come down this weekend, Bear? :D

I have mounting rings. Do I need anything else?

[​IMG]

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

That should do it. Cmon down and I'll mount it up & sight it in for ya.

3. winds-of-change

I wish.........

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Wait....didn't you ask him and he accepted???

5. winds-of-change

The "I wish" was for coming down this weekend. Yes, I am going to Bear's place again in late September. The thing is, I have this scope NOW and my weekend at Bear's is two months away. :( I'm going to shoot until my trigger finger can't squeeze the trigger anymore. :D

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

One of us can walk you through that! Might not be as good as Bear doing it first-hand, but it would get you by until then.

7. winds-of-change

That might be good. I'm afraid I'm going to scratch up my gun trying to put those rings on it.

Dang, it's like a kid with a new toy and I can't even play with it.

8. Jay

Jay New Member

There's plenty of smarts here to help you get your scope mounted. Like most other things "guns", don't get in a big hurry. Being coached through it, is a real good way to learn, whether in person, or one step at a time online. You can do it.

9. winds-of-change

Don't worry about me getting in a hurry with it. My Modus Operandi is usually if I don't know how to do it, I avoid it. :(

10. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Ha, with me its hurry up, scratch gun, then buy a new gun without scratch for the safe and used the scratched one. :D

How do you think I got 7 security sixes?

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if you found a good youTube video on the subject. I'm amazed at the obscure instructional videos I can find there.

12. winds-of-change

Well, if you ever want to get rid of one of those Security Sixes, I'm first in line, okay? And I'm a woman, we approach projects differently than most guys. [​IMG]

I'll look. I have to let the idea settle in my mind for a while. Unlike Mesinge2............ :D

13. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Winds, I got my scope for the Buckmark a few days ago. Just need rings and a sight in session!
    Totally hi-jacking your thread for sure, I apologize!

I challenge you to an Internet duel, your shiny Ruger and scope.....................
    against my black Buckmark and scope.

We'll post range reports, and determine the winner? We need rules though! And a prize?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  14. winds-of-change

I'll take the challenge. I think I can get my scope mounted and I might even possibley be able to zero it in. If not, you're going to have to wait until I get Bear or JonM to help me with that.

I just have to put my gun back together, first.

15. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Bought some rings today, everyone sold out of the Burris Signature, so settled on some Custom Steel rings and lined the inside with some anti-chafe tape.

Scope is mounted and laser bore sighted to about 25 ft., oughta get me on the paper! Hope to get to the range and fine tune in the next day or so, if not it will have to wait until I get back from my next work trip.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  16. JonM

JonM Moderator

oh forgot to tell ya those rings should be lapped before you mount a quality scope. i never did bother to lap them as i dont use pistol scopes. not sure why i remembered that.

17. winds-of-change

Okay *sigh*, what the heck is "lapping them"?

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Something that you should have Bear do when you are there...;) It's a fairly involved process of using a steel rod and a lapping compound, think of a really gritty toothpaste, to remove surface imperfections from metal. For a scope ring, lapping creates a better scope to ring contact surface that locks down the scope without overtightening. It also precisely aligns the center axis of the scope with the center axis off the bore for more precise zeroing of the scope. Many 1911 owners also lap the slide rails and frame to reduce friction and improve the "fit" of the slide.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  19. JonM

JonM Moderator

What jpyle said plus It also prevents the rings from scratching the scope marring the finish.