Longest shots you have taken on big game

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Muliemaster, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Lets talk, whats you best long range shot, an on what animal. Mine was a 8x2 non typical mule deer buck, after 2 yrs trying to get this buck I took a 706 yrd shot, no wind ,good light, 300 ultra swaro scope with the brh reticle. Buck was bedded hit high shoulder, he never stood up.

2. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Mine was an antelope at 275 yards. Used a custom built .270 on a Mark X action. 130 grain Speer over 54 grains of IMR4350. Dead on hold.
    CT

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine was 70 yards with a 270 on an elk. Another was 70 yards on an arctic fox with a 22 mag through the ear. I am still trying to figure out why I bought into the long range rifles.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

When using "Big Game" animals for risky shots over 300 yds. the crippled critter rate goes way up. Maybe we should have a Thread on the longest "Stalk" I made to make a safe killing shot.:)

5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have taken two deer at 460 yds, drt, with a 270 Win with a 2x7 Leupold.
    Last year I took a deer, 2 ht in the chest, at 304 yards with my Marlin 336 in 30-30 (Leverevolution) with a 1x5 Leupold. Both with no wind. I would ever attempt this with any cross wind.:)

6. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Wasnt risky shot bud, I have sent thousands an thousands of rounds at 800,900,1000 yrds, im no damn rookie at long range fact is im very seasoned. If I wasnt 110% confident in my ability I would have never took the shot, end of story. I had a solid prone rest over my backpack, no rush I took my time an made the shot. A very well placed kill shot mind you.

7. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Sweet 304 with the thirty thirty, thats a great shot.

8. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

Some people are better shots than others and do not need to stalk their prey. I know several Hunters who regularly hunt antelope and deer where the only shot you well ever get is 800 to 1200 yds. They have no problems harvesting at these ranges.
    If the hunter feels comfortable with his skills why would you deride them for taking it? Precision shooters really don't mind taking the long shots and rarely if ever miss.

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Exactly, my ranch here in New Mexico is that way, be ready for real long shots or be ready to eat a tag. The reason I practice at those ranges every time I shoot is becouse my love for Aoudad an ibex hunting, they are free range here an hard as hell to hunt. Average shots are 450 & up.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A rifle capable of 1" at 100 yards is shooting 1 minute of angle at 1,200 yards. That means your best bet is 12". Now really things are never perfect under field conditions. My thoughts do as you please.
    Yes I know you are all above average marksman. I shoot Compt. thru out the SW how many of you have I met on the Range?

11. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Either u have something to add about the longest shot you have made or shut up bud, dont need any of you fact pouring bs. If you cant shoot long range with any conf then thats on you. But dont get on here talkin **** bout how we are all pros an bs just shut up. By the way since you are so great about sizes whats the distance u gave 1200 yrds??? An moa is 12" well a antelope kill zone is 14" so hummm im no wiz but I do think you got one there huh. Enough of your crap.

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

700 yards on a bedded 5x6 elk. 7mm RUM. 165 gr nosler partition III. Prone off from a fallen aspen in Wyoming. High double lung shot w a spine hold, gun was sighted in 2" high at 100 yards. Had a 5 mph cross wind.

Night stalker we hear all the time how your a competition shooter and big game guide.....how come none of us has heard of you?

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have never heard of you? Would you like to meet me at the Texas State Shoot. That would be a good place for a meeting?

Arn't you a World Class gun builder? Please PM your shop Info. I am most interested in haveing a Long Range target rifle set up. Thx:)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya I build long range guns but I'm picky on who I sell to.....in your case I would be anyways

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have never been to rifle range except in the military. I don't know how far the longest shot I have ever made to take a deer. I shot a doe to catch a pack of dogs. She was far enough that I shot and a second or two later the doe fell. I drilled her right through the shoulder with open sights. I was shooting a 30/06 with 150 gr Winchester soft point ammo. The bullet stuck under the does skin on the exit side. I usually don't take such shots. If I had not shot that doe down we might not have caught the dogs until the next AM. I wanted to sleep in my own bed. I have never left a hunting dog in the woods.

16. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Thats a good shot for open sights, damn dogs huh lmao. Lil buggers

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Just post your shop? I would like to check your ratings? Now any craftsman would do that. I have never know a custom gun maker who wanted to hid his art???:confused:

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

My shop is my signature under my avatar

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I am sorry I can not find a listing for that name in the Directory Of Custom Smiths. Please address and phone or email information. Thx:)

20. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Come on take the pissin match to pm' s please I just wanted to hear peoples best shot stories thats all.