Long Range weapon

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Liflavor, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Liflavor

Liflavor New Member

Am thinking of getting into extreme long range shooting. What people opinion on the best rifle to use?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

What do you consider extreme long range?

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

what MountainMan said. what is your definition of long range? are you wanting centerfire or rimfire? what is your level of shooting experiance with rifles?

some more details would help us give better suggestions and advice on whwre you need to start.

4. Liflavor

Liflavor New Member

1000 meters or more

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

custom build - .308W, 7mm, .338Lapua, .416 Barrett, .50 Barrett

How much shooting experience do you have? what platform are you currently shooting with? just as important - do you have access to a range capable to shoot safely over 1000 meters?

6. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Look into building or buying a really heavy duty rest.You might not need all the bells N whistles of a full blown benchrest rig....but a windage top is mighty nice.

They're such a pleasure to use.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you own some oil wells, you don't even want to know what the "best" rifle is.:D

But an accurate .308 or .30-06 will hit at 1000 if your rifle is properly tuned, your ammo is correct, and your skill is adequate.

A good way to start is to work up an accurate handload that will shoot at least 1/2 MOA or better.

I mean 1/2 MOA...TEN SHOT GROUPS not three or 5 shot groups. Have a match grade barrel installed by a master gunsmith that knows what he's doing. Have a quality synthetic stock professionally installed, and when you get that magic ten shot group to 1/2 MOA at 200 yards, move the target to 300, and so on.

It's not quick, it's not easy, it's not cheap, but it's doable!:D:p:D

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

more info, courtesy of Youtube - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qtXpoObfM[/ame]

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there are several good books on the subject of long range shooting.

the equipment is important, but the person pulling the trigger is the biggest factor.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

11. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

A cheap custom action will run ya about 1000$ Those guys use logs for stocks. Anything past 400yds is where the big boys play, its like horsepower, anything past a certain point and it gets expensive really fast.

Badshot

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Guess a cheap custon could be a stock change on a new rifle?? hehe

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Badshot, although I'd say 600 yards rather than 400.

I remember shooting 600 in NRA Bullseye competition with a match M-1 Garand. But 600 was really pushing it. Bullseye was the size of a wheelbarrow.:D

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

in benchrest shooting... a 4 year old can pull the trigger. benchrest is more about attention to meticulous detail in constructing your ammunition and paying attention to how the barrel and chamber and crown is changing its properties through use. its meticulous recording of shooting results from string to string. shooting skill is the least important factor in benchrest

if you notice in that video the only part of the shooter touching the gun was the very tippy tip of the finger on the trigger. the skillset to be successful in BR is not the actual shooting skill

15. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Dont take this as arrogance, its fact. Ive got barrels sitting in a corner that out shoot what most people consider awesome. If it changes PoI after 10 rounds of heating its crap. And I dont even shoot long range, 100,200,300 is all, the long range BR guys Dont Play! 1/2 group at 200yds dont cut it. Im not trying to talk anyone out of comp shooting but the bar is set really high, theres a handful of gunsmiths capable of building equipment to do it, its a different mindset, but the guys that do it are more then willing to help new shooters out. Ive had problems with my guns and had 3 or 4 people step up and offer their back ups to me to shoot as long as it took to get my issues resolved. I hadnt even met half of em before. The comp guys for the most part are a family, give you the shirt off their back, but you better believe when the range master blows the whistle its all business and they intend to whoop your ***.

Badshot

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Anyone wanting to shoot long range only needs to spend time reading at 6mmbr/accurate shooters to get a idea of whats involded to compete. Guys will also build you the same rifle they win with and give you there info on loading too. Still have to fine tune yourself,your rifle and your loads.