long range varmint light

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by blucoondawg, Feb 2, 2012.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Any one have suggestions for a light I could use for long range night shooting of fox and coyote? something that really lights stuff up well at long distance id say preferably out to 300 yards? Maybe they don't have anything short of a regular spotlight idk. Id prefer something as small as possible without large batteries to carry around

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Well,you probably won't be taking shots at 300 yards in the dark.It's a little unsafe to do that!
    We use handheld spotlights,and a Laser Genetics ND-3 laser that's mounted on one of my rifles for hunting varmints and hogs at night.Most of our shots are from 30-100 yards.
    The ND-3 works great with a scope with an illuminated reticle scope,but I'd buy the ND-4 if I was going to get one.It's bigger than the 3,and the beam is better suited for what I want to use it for.With the ND-3,I can see small animals like coyotes and hogs out to around 100 yards in total darkness.

Savage 12 FLVSS with the ND-3 mounted on top of the scope-
    [​IMG]

The spotlight that I use is a 3 million candle power Q-Beam that plugs into a 12 volt socket,it works very good for lighting everything up,plus I have the red lense cover that aids in spotting animals at night.

3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I don't really see it as unsafe if you have sufficient lighting to identify your target, I saw that laser light online, I saw alot of conflicting reviews and opinions on some forums, most were older though, they claimed the light wouldn't work if it were under 50 degrees and I'm in Northern WI so that wouldn't do me any good. Looks like a good technology if they have the bugs worked out though

4. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I have used an air craft landing light attached to a 12 volt Honda Battery. This is hand held not rifle mounted. We shoot at zero and sub zero winter temps the small mounted batteries don't last long. I doubt you will ever nite shoot at 300 yds.

5. Txhillbilly

The first series of the ND-3 would fade out in cold temps,30* or colder.They make a newer model called a sub-zero,and it handles the cold weather without the problems of the other one.
    Mine is the early version,but I haven't had the fading problems with it.A friend has one just like it,and his would completely disappear in the colder weather.He sent it in,and they replaced it.

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

do the coyotes seem to react to the laser? I've also seen conflicting reports on that

7. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I have many places to hunt where I am looking across large fields backed up to river bottom or swamp, this is where I want the ability to see 300 yds if possible, the fields are much longer than that and the only place offering decent cover is completely on the other side so I have to get lucky enough to lure the coyotes out into the field quite a bit in the first place, my scope goes up to 24x, so I will have no problem identifying a target at that range providing I get the right lighting.

8. Txhillbilly

If you turned the beam down small,and pointed it directly into their eyes,I'm sure they would react.I use a wider beam to lighten up the entire area of the scopes reticle while I'm looking through it,and we have never had a problem with animals being spooked from the ND-3.

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Thanks for the info, good to hear it from someone who actually uses the product

10. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one of these Q-beams. I tried the red lens on some deer in my front yard once. They practically broke their necks running away. Ran through my fence! I read somewhere they might think the red was the eyes of a predator. 3 million candle power of red light might have been a little much? :)

11. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I've used red light to shine deer before but never from a powerful spotlight, I mounted a outdoor light socket, like people stick in the ground to illuminate Christmas Decorations with flood lights, in a tree and put a red heat lamp bulb in it. Seemed to work ok, the bigger bucks wouldn't stick around too long but they didn't leave as fast as if I shined them with a white light. The red heat lamp seemed to work better than the painted red type Xmas flood lights. My neighbor uses this method all the time and always has deer in at night.

12. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I just saw they have the ND3 on clearance at Dunhams sporting goods for 259 or 279, 100 dollars off. Too bad it won't work in the cold