Long Range Target Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Polygon, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

This is more about caliber than the gun, but I would love gun suggestions as well. I'm looking for a bolt action rifle that I can shoot out to around 1,000 yards. What cartridge would you go with?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012

2. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

300 win mag- and when you have the rifle built have them make you a reloading die at the same time !!!!!!!!

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I have shot many rounds of 308 at 1000 in my 40X Remington Sniper Rifle. However if I was buying a gun to do that particularly I would go with the following calibers. 300 Win Mag. or 338 Lapua. Just depends on what all the rifle will be used for regarding the rifle selection. If you want a target class rifle or a multi-purpose rifle for precision shooting, hunting, stationary position or moving!

4. cbibb

cbibb New Member

308 is a good caliber but there is allot of calibers suited for this 6mm br savage has these in factory caliber along with 308 and others if you go custom they use 6x47 lapua,6.5 lapua, 30br,6.5x284,6xc,just to name a few also depends if you want to reload or not. try going to www.6mmbr.com they can help also good luck

5. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

300wsm or win mag. If you find a good deal and can still afford ammo....338 lapua.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Please do a search first and maybe figure out the class you hope to shoot in . Go to 6mmbr/accurateshooters site and read up on the cartidges used and assume you will spend between a budget rifle -900 to 1000 dollars for learning with at shorter ranges for a econ-build to 2000+ dollars for a competitive rifle. Plus a scope , mounts , rifle rest, spotter scope and reloading eguipment. A small 6.5mm will do anything a 338 lapua will do out to 1000 yards and be much easier on you and your wallet .

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  7. greydog

greydog Member

If you want to do very well shooting at paper at long range, with as little fuss as possible, the 6BR would be my first choice. This is definitely the little cartridge that could. My second choice would be a 308 just because they are so easy to tune. Not as easy to shoot as the 6BR (recoil) they are still pretty manageable.
    My third choice would be the 6.5x55 or the 260 Remington. Either will shoot well and are pleasant to shoot. Right on the heels of these would be the Creedmore and the 6.5x47.
    The only real reason to use one of the big guns, like a 300 or 338 mag of some sort, is to deliver more energy downrange. It doesn't take much energy to punch a hole in the target. Ultimately, the 6BR will shoot better and do so with less cost and fuss than anything else. The only drawback? It doesn't always feed all that well from a magazine. If this is a requirement for you, go with the 308. GD

8. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

There are quite a few good rifles in .300 Win Mag
    There is a lot of data on the .300 Win Mag
    Several Scope mfg's have .300 Win Mag BDC
    Components are plentiful when reloading.

Look for an older Remington 700 BDL, I often see these used at various shops. See if that suits your fancy.
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/remington-model-700-collector/

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

KG7IL you don't shoot LR matchs do you. Atleast not with a 7.5lb standard 300 wm hunting rifle.

10. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

What's your budget?

Lo-bucks 300 mag, even 30-06.

Mid bucks 338 Lapua

Hit the lottery? I'd be thinking maybe CheyTac?

11. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

You can get out to 1000 yards with anything as powerful as a .223 or more. People do it all the time with that caliber. It will be easier to do with bigger calibers though since the wind won't be as big of a factor. I'd start thinking .308 or 30.06 but people do it with smaller calibers too.

As for rifles that will shoot that distance accurately look no further than Savage. They have been more than competitive in the F Class and F/TR competitions which are international in nature. In fact bone stock Savage rifles have won many times in those competitions against custom built rifles. That puts your budget at about $1400 for just the rifle. Glass is another big factor. Ammo won't be cheap either. The main thing though is not just practice but instruction on how to shoot right then practice. If you're lucky enough to know someone who can teach you how to do it you're way ahead of the game. Some people spend big money taking classes on how to shoot long distance.

Just don't let people convince you that you need to spend $3000 just on the rifle. You don't. In fact people build Savages for $800-$900 that will shoot pretty well at 1000 yards. But obviously $1200-$1400 will do better. I would highly suggest that you take a look at what Savage has accomplished with their rifles at that distance. It's literally amazing and it's the reason I bought a Savage instead of a Remington 7mm Mag Sendero when I wanted a long range rifle. I have certainly not been disappointed even though up until now I haven't been able to shoot more than 500 yards because I don't have access to a place to shoot any farther than that. I knew I wouldn't be able to shoot 1000 yards so I went with a .223. It's easier on the shoulder and the billfold and both are factors to me now. I have a neck injury that keeps my .30 caliber shooting to a minimum these days. But you would be surprised at the groups I've been able to shoot at 500 yards with that rifle. But from what I know that second 500 yards is a different game altogether because of having to learn to dope the wind much better. I have a 30.06 Savage also but it isn't near the quality of rifle my .223 is. The good thing about a Savage though is a person can start with about any rifle that's based on the 110 and turn it into a great shooter without too much money spent with a gunsmith.

12. greydog

greydog Member

Jeff56 makes a good point. It is easy to spend too much time and money getting involved in the equipment race and it really isn't necessary. An accurate rifle is necessary as is a lot of trigger time.
    When it comes to calibers, it is instructional to see what is being used in the main "F" class shoots and in the Wimbledon at Camp Perry. People shoot what they can win with and most are small to medium cartridges. I have seen a couple of 300 Mags in the "F" class but have not seen one which was really in the hunt as far4 as prizes went. The thing is, no cartridge can eliminate the wind as a factor. Only the shooter can do that.
    My first "F" class rifle (a 6.5x55) was built on a push feed Model 70 action I picked up at a gunshow for 160 bucks. My total outlay for that rifle amounted to about 1200 dollars, including the scope, and it is still competitive (now as a 308).
    I know several guys who have enjoyed great success with the Savages and I agree that is not a bad place to start. GD

13. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

No, I didn't gather that OP was going to shoot matches, or did I gather that he wanted to modify or buy a high end rifle. My appologies if I missed that.

Earlier Remington 700s continue to be a fine rifle.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

So you think a rifle to shoot a 1000 yards with is a run of the mill hunting rifle?? You da man then.

15. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I agree with some of the other responses. .300 Win Mag is a good way to go for 1000 yards in a very good quality rifle.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

.300 WnMag has a short neck, complicating loading with long heavy bullets. . The .300RUM has a longer neck. The RUM also has more powder capacity, and therefore higher velocity.

IMHO, the .300 RUM is the winner between these two.:)

But if you're serious about 1000 yard shooting, the .338 LaPua beats the 30 calibers all to hell.:p

It sees use by many "SpecOps" troops in the sandbox, and it's the standard issue of Royal Marine commando snipers.

It isn't cheap, but it beats the .30 cals hands down.

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'll disagree with you on that statement. You can load the long heavy bullets just as easily in the 300WM as with the RUM.
    I mainly shoot the Berger 210gr or Hornady 208gr A-Max bullets out of mine,and they have never been complicated to load.
    I have always liked the 300WM,and have had several over the years,but you don't need a .30 caliber or bigger to shoot 1k yards.
    The 6mm,6.5mm,and 7mm calibers will do it very well with less cost and recoil.The bullet coefficients are better with these bullets and they have far less drop and windage issues than the bigger/slower .30 calibers.

If I was wanting a rifle that would do what the OP wants to begin with,I'd look at the 260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor. There's plenty of Match grade ammo available,but if you really want to start shooting long range,you really need to handload to get the maximum performance out of a gun.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you feed your rounds through the magazine, or single load??

I have never been able to load bullets over 180 grains in the WinMag without either exceeding OAL or seriously intruding into the powder space.

Most BR shooters use the .30-.338 in preference to the .300 WinMag becsause of neck length.

The belted WinMag also headspaces on the belt, necessitating the micrometer measurement of the belts. The RUM headspaces on the shoulder.

19. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Wow!

Thanks for all the responses everyone. A lot of good information. Sorry I just disappeared. Things around here have been pretty rough lately.