Long Range Shooting tips

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gnhtn2day, Apr 22, 2010.

1. gnhtn2day

gnhtn2day New Member

I am trying to teach myself how to shoot long range however the mathematics are really getting to me. Anyone know of any websites or books that I can check out that can break this stuff down?

Thanks!

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

glad you asked, i dont have the answers but am interested in learning.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

What math are you looking for? A good website to give you some basics is JBM Ballistics.

It will help you with approximate come-ups, etc. Fine tuning, and data keeping (log every shot fired) are up to you.

4. opaww

opaww New Member

I am working on some instructions to help others with their long range shooting but don't expect anything soon sense I got a ton of things to get done also.

One thing you need to know is the drop rate of the ammo you are using out at the ranges you will be shooting. This you can get from a ballistic calculator, and with this info you can know how much to compensate for.

Example; I am shooting 168 gr. HPBT match at 2600 FPS, the rifle is sighted in for 100 yards, my drop rate at 1000 yards is roughly 440 inches, so I need to aim about 440 inches (37 feet) above the center of target. And with no wind and a lot of luck I will hit the target (some place).

It also helps some to sight the rifle in at 500 yards when shooting out at 1000 yards, this means less clicks come ups you got to dial in.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

have lots of money....

6. kansas45

kansas45 Member

Lot's of good information here Sniper's Hide You will be able to find much information & quite a bit of B.S. :D

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What kind of "long range shooting"? Benchrest? Other Competition? Human Sized Targets? Sport? Fun? Personal Challenge Against Friends?

Because there is a TON of really good knowledge available, from really good sources, that can be recommended, but no sense telling you to subscribe to Benchrest Monthly if you really want to learn how to creep. ;)

JD

8. opaww

opaww New Member

The thing I would do is start out with tango's post on short range shooting and work up from there.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/short-range-shooting-26357/

I know everyone wants to jump right in blasting targets at a 1000 yards but to be realistic everyone needs to start with baby steps first.

As long as I have been shooting I shoot short to mid range and have the most fun with it. My goal is not to just hit a target but to place all my hits within a circle the size of a dime, (each shot),(every time).

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you reload and have your bullet and velocity info, Norma has a great balistics calculater.

10. smithy

smithy New Member

ballistics

Have you tried Understanding firearm ballistics 6th edition,by Robert A Rinker. Simple to understand basic to advanced ballistics. Great book.

11. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

It could be that you are placing too much emphasis on the math. If you are looking for general or useful accuracy, check out the various sniper manuals. Some of these manuals can guide you to useful long range shooting solutions by means of different shooting techniques. This sort of long range shooting would be useful for hunting large game and general long range shooting sports.

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The book "the ultimate sniper" is an EXCELLENT primer or starter that will help you understand the basics of long range shooting.

13. Switchbarrel

Switchbarrel New Member

Book

Here's one that's gotten a lot of good reviews, it's on my "to read" list...

Book

-Rick

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thanks!!!!

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Just a note in case anyone was wondering.

The OP was last active on April 23rd, had two posts, and hasn't been back. It would appear they found what they needed, or gave up on FTF all together. *shrug*

JD