Long-Range rifle setup's

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by fa35jsf, Jun 12, 2014.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I thought a thread dedicated to showing off your long-range rifles would help everyone like myself who would like to have one someday. Post pictures, specs, calibers, whatever and let the drool start flowing!

2. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Here's mine.

Attached Files:

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That`s Atomic Annie, sits at Fort Sill, OK. ,been there done that..............

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Here`s Mine !.................

Attached Files:

5. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Alright y'all. I was really hoping to see some actual setups from folks who like to challenge themselves with distance shots. One day I would like to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

OK how about this ?................

Attached Files:

• .223.jpg
      .223.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
  8. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

Thread moved to "General Rifle Discussion"

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

[​IMG]

slightly older pic

fn scar17s

7.62x51nato 1-12 twist 16.5" cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel 168grain smk sub moa when im not yanking the trigger like a goon. even though that pic has the tr24g on top i typically run a nightforce nxs compact 2.5-10x32 moar reticle 1/4 moa clicks. adm qd mount

handl defense lower allows use of pmags. gieselle super scar trigger approx 3.5 pounds pull. magpul selector bcm gunfight grip vltor mod stock. vltor handguards soon to be replaced with the new MI keymod handguards. oem sights removed and replaced with magpul mbus poly sights for weight savings and retention of open sights if needed. pws compensator replaced with bcm 7.62 compensator

this rifle serves me as either cqb or long range dmr. the semi auto action allows extremely quick follow ups if needed and the 20 round capacity allows for maximal firepower at range.

first round hits with a bolt gun might happen but reality is semi auto dominates on rapid target engagement and the accuracy of the scar17 is sufficient to hang with any 308 bolt bolt gun.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I posted a pistol !...................:confused:

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Heres my rather normal looking Ruger 77 mkII SS model , about 22 years old, re-worked 17 years ago by herb's custom gun shop.
    Boyd's JR Classic stock blocked and bedded
    Kreiger 27" #6 profile 7mm rem mag
    Timney 1lb trigger and a old simmons 3.8-12 atec, been waiting for 17 years for it to break so a new burris 4-16 black diamond but can't just replace it. Very good LR rifle with hand groups at 400 yards of 1", 2" at 400 yards with factory hunting ammo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  12. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

On a more serious note ...

Attached Files:

13. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If you are going to tackle long range shooting, here having the meaning of anything beyond 500 yards, then you need to study ballistics, bullet drop, ballistic coefficients, tables of bullet performance, wind, windage, muzzle energy, and then practice them from 600 yards onwards.

There are clubs that do this. I know of one in Sacramento. I know of another in Las Vegas. Look around and find one, then join it.

Learning curve is enhanced by someone with you who already knows what they are doing.

14. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

This is NOT a long range rifle.

It is an intermediate range carbine.

15. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

My .308 Savage 10FCP HS-Precision with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP optic. I handload 175 gr SMKs over Varget powder.

[​IMG]

With the right handload recipe and my not having had too many cups of coffee already, it will make a tight 5 shot group.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'd bet Jon could show you differently on your opinion.

17. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Here's one of my 1000 yard dick getters.

Spartan .260 004.jpg

Little .260 Remington

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

long range for a 308 is 800 yards. its JUSSSSST able to hit 1000 yards on a good day in perfect conditions.

i take it you have never tried an accurized scar17...

out of the box its a solid moa rifle with a good trigger properly torqued and a really good optic it will get the full use of a 7.62 round.

i have been able to obtain sub moa on a regular basis with some groups hitting half or less moa.

you dont need a bolt action and a 30" inch barrel for accurate shooting.

top group is ten rounds yes i ganked three of seven pretty hard. i dont get as much trigger time as i would like, bottom group is open sights using magpul mbus i yanked two of those

[​IMG]

using less than optimal hunting loads

[​IMG]

sight in with my acog bottom hole was first shot after bore sight. second up is second shot after initial adjustment. third hole is three rounds after second adjustment.

[​IMG]

so yeah its got a 16" barrel but its more than accurate enough to fill a long range role yet still be useful for other things and all weighing in at a scootch under 10 pounds

nifty thing is once you run two mags the groups only open up maybe a half to 3/4 moa larger with the heat build up. most bolt guns lose their chow after 6 or 7 rounds. my wife's savage 10 fcp sr goes from a half moa gun to 2- 2.5 moa after the first 10 rounds due to heat. the scar goes to about 1.5-2 moa after 40 rounds and stays pretty much there.

if your going to shoot more than 800 yards use a bigger cartridge.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  19. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you find yourself in se wisconsin on a weekend i will be more than happy to provide you some scar17 trigger time

20. samnev

samnev New Member

LaRue 308 OBR and AIAW Folder

I bought a very lightly used 18' 308 LaRue OBR not wanting to wait 1-2 years and preferred the pre Xtran barrels. You always wonder when buying a 2nd hand rifle if it's being dumped because of accuracy or functional issues. It has a PRS stock, Surefire muzzle brake and a Phase 5 bolt release Geissele SDE trigger Troy Modular vertical grip (I removed the middle section) and 4 rails one of which was for a QD swivel 9 o'clock position the 3 others were 3" picatinny rails 1 of which was mount at the 3 o'clock position other 2 unmounted.
    I put a NightForce NXS 5.5-22X50 scope with the NP-R1 reticle ZS and HST's and for now a Harris 6-9" swivel bipod. (an Atlas has been ordered)
    I am happy to say that the 4 5 shot 100 yard groups I was able to get after zeroing averaged 0.8 moa. Not great yet but every group had 4 shots in 1 ragged hole and 1 that would open the group up. The Geissele's flat trigger has a very light pull I am just not use to it and several times the OBR went off before I was ready for it which opened up the groups. The Surefire muzzle brake is very effective in reducing the recoil to a gentle shove. There was not a single malfunction.
    The only downside it is heavy but not much more than my LMT MWS. Since I shot either off the bench or prone the weight is not an issue. Needless to say even though it almost broke the bank, at least for a while I am very happy with my purchase.
    For serious long range work I use my AIAW 308 Folder with a 24" Bartlein 1:11.25 twist with an AI 20 moa mount, NightForce NXS 8-32X56 scope with HST, ZS and MOAR reticle plus an Atlas bipod with spigot mount.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014