Long Range Rifle Question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TrangTuan, Aug 3, 2013.

1. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

Howdy,
    As some of you might know me, I'm a military person and i love shooting all kind of weapon, but when times come to choose a weapon is kinda hard for me. I'm also a tactical kind of person also if it help.

I'm looking for a budget long range rifle but yet to do the following.

1. Long distance 1,000 yards.
    2. Accuracy
    3. Power(Good and strong enough for hunting all kind of varmints or big animal..bear...etc)

I'm on a 400 dollar budgets.

So far i have some in mind....

1.Remington 700 ADL
    2. Savage Axis or Savage Axis SR
    3. Ruger American
    4. Remington 700 Sps(Why i put this last if it the best?, Is the last option im doing since it cost dearly.)

2. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

A little over your budget.. but .416 Ruger would be good...

3. jp_over

jp_over New Member

Here's an interesting link that discusses the merits of .308:

http://www.snipercentral.com/308.htm

From my experience, the Remington 700 is an excellent platform. Lots of aftermarket parts and work you can have done to dial in your 1,000 yard shots. You could get an inexpensive used model 700, and upgrade parts or have it modified by a gunsmith as you get funds.

Of note, many calibers that are good for large bear will have a substantial drop (perhaps too much) at 1,000 yards. Once more, as you get into the 1,000 yard realm, factory ammo might not get you where you want to be. However, if you're not hunting the great bears of the North, .308 will do fine for just about any North American large game.

Finally, according to "Remington Shoot!" software, 168 grain .308 has a trajectory peak of 143" and a 200 grain .338 win mag (popular for bear) has a trajectory peak of 132". Sort of surprising to me. Of course, one must balance this against the availability of match grade ammunition in your caliber of choice.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

For a good, dependable, accurate 1000 yd platform that will consistently make lethal hits on the vitals area of big game in tough hunting environments, you need to increase your budget. The scope may not even be covered by your budget.

You also won't be likely to find an off the shelf rifle with the mechanical accuracy in that price range. You may be able to find a base platform that you can do some work to. But after the work, you are likely to be over budget.

Caliber selection to be humanely lethal at that range on game animals is going to be pretty limited and pricey as well.

But really the first question you will have to ask is what is the real maximum range you as a shooter are able to make consistent lethal hits at? If you can't keep 10 rounds inside of a foot at 1000 yds. You shouldn't be trying to hunt at that distance. If you wound an animal at that range, you just gave it a 1000 yd head start to track and finish.

If you are serious about hunting, you really need to focus on scouting, stalking, and closing distance on game without being detected. Then get yourself into guaranteed shooting distance. That strategy will open more options to the rifle you can use effectively.

I'm not against doing some long range shooting, but it takes a lot if practice. How do you do at 500 yds and 600 yds? Is it good enough to keep all of your shots on a paper plate? If not then the focus should first be on shooting, then the platform. An older used Remington 700 or Savage 10 or 110 in .308 would be a good, capable platform to start practicing with at 500-800 yds.

5. jp_over

jp_over New Member

I should have clarified my post - my suggestions are based on the assumption that this would be a dual-use rifle: 1,000 yard/long range shooting at paper and hunting at what I would call reasonable distances (100 - 300 yards or up to where you can consistently hit vitals).

6. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Howdy ,

1000 yds accracy...Im for .30 cal...a .308 or 30-06.
    Plenty of energy still left at 1000yds for Bear. With proper shot placement.

IMO , overkill for small varmints (Yotes)

$400 or less...Dont discount any of the first 3 on your list.

Of course I must say ,Im a Savage guy, I have other breeds, but my Savages always give me the best accuracy, with factory or handloads.
    I also like 300 Win Mag and .338 lapua for those distances and accuracy, but ... you did say $400, I have seen a few .300 Win Mag with Syn stocks for $400 used.

Good luck...and pics when you get it.:)

Jim

btw, as others stated you MUST spend way beyond your budget on Optics ,for 1000 yd shooting consistent.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

whatever you get.........go with bull barrel. i recommend remington 700vs in .308 with leupold 10x optics but at that budget your handicapped. the cheapest descently accurate one would be the savage 110......308 i suggest. the bsa mildot 6-24 x 50mm scope is cheap but works great.

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Changing of the +..............

Don't fire till you see the whites of thier eyes...............

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

jut something to give some thought to. long range shooting, (like 1000 yards) and budget rifles don't usually go together. possible, but not likely for accurate long range shooting. IMO, $400 isn't quite enough to get a rifle capable of shooting accurately at 1000 yards, if that is just $400 for a rifle and no scope.

and usually hunting rifles and target rifles ae two different types of rifles, that trying to combine the features of both into one usually defeats the purpose of either one. most times it's not even a good compromise trying to do the same thing with one rifle.

any of those rifles you listed would make a decent hunting rifle at reasonable ranges, with the proper ammo and using good shot placement. want a 1000 yard target rifle? get ready to spend some money, or you need to build one. i seriously doubt that you will be able to buy a $400 or less of the shelf, factory rifle that is capable of shooting accurately and consistently at 1000 yards.

10. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

Ok, Let say if i just pick a affordable 400 dollar rifle right now and build it later with good parts? (Custom Trigger,Etc) In all those rifle, which is a decent one of your choice?

11. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

if you can get the savage 111 xp i really like mine, it cost $500 out the door the only thing is i bought a redfield revenge scope to put on it that was anther $200 but with any package rifle in this price range the scopes are always junk.

12. Axxe55

of those you listed, the only viable candidates are the two M700's. lots of parts and accessories for the M700. lots of target rifles are built off the M700 platform. military and LE uses a lot of them to build off of for sniper rifles.

the Savage 110 series is another good platform to build off of. lots of parts and accessories for them as well as some of the other Savage rifles.

again my suggestion, buy a rifle for hunting and build a target rifle. the biggest expense in a target rifle and the most critical component is a high quality barrel.

13. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

So far the cheapest one i seen at academy is Remington 700 .308 ADL,Savage Axis SR .308, Remington Model 770, Savage AXIS.

That all i find around 400 and under. Which is prob best to buy and then modify it later?

Because i know most people would start out by buying a decent caliber sniper system, then modify it with tactical stock, rail,etc.

In all the list of rifle model and brand, which one is the best of all? I mostly use it for all senerio. Practice, Hunting, Home Defense, SHTF, You name it.

14. Axxe55

the Remington M700 ADL. simply because of the aftermarket support in parts and accessories. the Savage Axis, the Remington M770, and the Ruger American are entry level hunting rifles. with the exception of the M770, (which is not worthy and is junk, IMO) the others are made for hunting and have decent accuracy and are well made, but were not intended to be modified as long range target rifles. that may change in the future if the interest in them for the aftermarket suppliers see a market for parts and accessories for them. a $400 entry level hunting rifle is usually not a rifle thatpeople would be building a long range target rifle from. can it be done? pretty sure it could be, but everything will have to be custom made and modified to do it. that means a lot of money to a good gunsmith to do it properly and make it accurate.

for all scenarios, there is no perfect rifle that can do all well. anything capable of doing one thing very well will be at the cost of other things. rifles and firearms are just like vehicles. a car that gets 50 MPG usually won't set any speed records and most vehicles that can set fast quarter mile times, usually are not capable in mud and rocks offroad. kind of like dual-purpose motorcycles. they tend to be much too light for long trips and tend to be too heavy for serious offroad riding.

15. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I just picked up a 1980s Ruger M77 in 7mm rem mag. $450, mint condition w some dings on the stock. Sighted it in and groups under 2" at 200 meters. (That's sub MOA) The new ones cost $700

Picked up a used Rem 700 adl in 30-06 with a very nice Nikon Buckmaster last year for $400. Barrel had some copper build up, scrubbed it good and I can get 2.5" groups at 200 meters. This rig would cost $650 right now, or more

Look used and you can get a lot more rifle for your money. I'm many cases the older ones are better built than the new stuff

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

What the OP wants to do with a $400 rifle is going to be next to impossible to accomplish. A couple years ago,you could find good used heavy barreled rifles for a decent price,but those days are gone. Then having optics that are capable of doing the job at 1k is another problem when cost is a problem.
    Why do all these new guy's think they can cheap out on equipment,and then expect to shoot long range? It doesn't work that way.

You have a Remington VTR 223,just keep it,and learn to shoot it to the best of your ability.When you can consistently shoot longer ranges say 500 yards with it,then save up and buy a bigger caliber. If you want to shoot at longer ranges,I'd also suggest learning how to reload,most factory ammo will only get you so far when it comes to accuracy.

17. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

there are no 400.00 rifles worthy of building into a long range rifle.........maybe 600.00 base

18. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

Update; Just bought the Remington 700 ADL .308.