long range rifle on a budget

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by tyler916, Feb 25, 2013.

1. tyler916

tyler916 New Member

Looking to get a long range rifle for less then 800 bucks

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

depends on many different things.

what is your experiance with shooting rifles? how long? what calibers? what's the furthest distance you have shot at?

what distance do you consider long range? what platform are you looking for?

target shooting or hunting?

is $800 for the rifle or the rifle and scope?

sorry just enough information in your post to even start to make suggestions. need more details and information about you to even attempt to make any sort of educated suggestions as to what would be the best choices for you.

3. tyler916

tyler916 New Member

800 for just the rifle shoot at only 100 yards usin 7mm long range to me is like 500 to 1000 yards

4. Axxe55

HUH? please provide more details if you want some useable suggestions.

read my last post!

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

tyler916 Not enough info!!?? Whats long range to you and are you only looking to punch paper or hunt too.
    100 yards, A used anshultz will do nicely. A 223 is great out to 500 yards and a shot 6.5mm is great to 1000 for match play. 800 dollar rifle is a poop shot as to to what works well enought. Just know that long range for 800 dollars is more about how good your reloading skills are and what your willing to settle with for group size. Pick a rifle in your budget . Maybe the Savage 11 hunter series maybe rebarrel use old beater??? No guarantee any will do what you want any better than a 400 dollar rifle. .

6. sergei100

sergei100 New Member

Save your self some money and buy a Mosin Nagant rifle or carbine and the surplus ammo is cheap and available. Especially if your shooting at 100 yard targets.

7. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

Twist rate is also important, you will want a 1:10 for a .308 to stabilize longer and heavier bullets out to the longer ranges past 500 or so.

http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html

Find whatever caliber you were wanting and do some research, the bullet is just as important as the barrel. A match barrel with the wrong bullet could give you 6 MOA but with the right round you could get .25 MOA. Look up reviews of whatever gun you get and see what bullets they had luck with

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Rem 700 SPS tactical runs about 600-700

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Anything in 7mm will shoot to 500 to 1000 yards, but you may never hit your target. Not sure what 7mm you are talking about. What sized target?? I use a 7mm Rem Mag for hunting. Good rifle, good scope. I would never take a shot past 400 yards w/ it. That is the max range for my comfort zone. Could the rifle, round, and scope pass that. I'm sure it could, but Why? I have an older Howa 1500HB that I did use for 700 yard shoots. It is a .308 w/ a 22" barrel.
    Did OK, never 1st. I put a new scope on it that suited What I want to do now and am very happy. 400 yards, no issue. What you consider a long range target, and what I consider a long range target may differ greatly. I'm cheap, I use 1 gal milk jugs.

This is a 165gr SP .308 at 700 yards. I use this bullet for hunting.
    MV 2700fps, Wind 10mph 90 degree.
    700 yards -161.6 drop in inches (13.46ft) -22.0 drop in MOA 47.1 Windage in inches (3.925ft) 6.4 Windage in MOA.
    What are the odds you would ever hit your target?? If you do not know everything about what it takes, never.

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

OP actually answered a lot of the questions with his 2nd post. But he hasn't figured out that punctuation and capitalization is important yet. Here's what I gathered:

The 800 is for the rifle only
    He has shot to a distance of 100 yards
    He wants to go to 500-1000 yards
    And do it with a 7mm

Spelling punctuation, capitalization, and grammar are important......within reason:)

11. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Tyler I would go with a Remington 700 in 308 caliber. Get the heavy barrel for police model. Your probably like me and havent a clue how far your going to be shooting out to. I think this is a good all around gun for long distance. Get a good scope until you can afford better and you would be surprised how much better you can shoot with a better scope. Also if you want consistant shot placement. Plan on reloading your own rounds or have a buddy that knows how to reload help you out. When you talk about long range shooting everyone wants you to be specific as how far out you will be shooting to gauge a gun for you. Not all of us have a range to go to. Like me I have a mountain as a back stop so I could shoot at something a mile away. Not saying I'd hit it.

12. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

If you are interested in a Remington 700 SPS Tactical Kentucky Gun Co. has them for $630.00 right now. I bought mine on Saturday. They are heavy threaded barrel models, really nice for the money.

13. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

LOL I spend 4 times that on my scope for my long range guns.

Long range shooting is not a sport for a poor man.

My current go to set up is a

Kelbly Panda F-class action $1300

Keriger 6mm barrel with a 1:7" twist throated for a 6 dasher shooting 115gr Bergers $315

McMillan F-Class stock $548

March Long range 10-60x52mm $3100

I got a Henry Remple Skipod for my bipod that was about $450

Rear bag is a Edgewood minigater grab bag $175.

Sure you can buy a cheap gun with a cheap scope and TRY to shoot long range. It is more like lobbing bullets a long ways hoping to hit something.

14. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Jeepers....can I get on your will? :D

15. Axxe55

nope, i got first dibs!:p

16. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I take it you do compition with all that gear. What did it take you to get started in the long range shooting. And how did you get started in it?

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

While shooting F Class is an expensive hobby,and Gunnut07 does have a very nice custom rig for it,you don't have to go ball's out to shoot longer range. Granted,most people aren't going to go out with an out of the box rifle,cheap glass,and factory ammo and hit the X-ring at long range. It's just not that easy a thing to do.

Shooting at longer distances takes a lot of practice,and a lot of time tuning your loads to your gun in order to do it,if you don't reload,you'll need to learn how.
    I wouldn't suggest using a 7mm to start with. The 6mm/6.5mm bullets have great ballistic coefficients,less recoil,and use less powder-which equals= bullets fly better,easier on your shoulder,cost less to shoot.

Most factory stocks SUCK,so I'd suggest buying a cheap used rifle for the action,and then buy a decent stock,good aftermarket target grade barrel,and a nice trigger. Then save up and put a good scope on it that has enough adjustment to shoot long range. A Sightron SIII,Weaver Tactical or Vortex Viper PST would be the starting point on optics.

18. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

How do I get in on this lottery ? Sounds like one hell of a setup but w such a light round - how does she do w high wind ?

OP: Easy to say buy a used rig but the people who shoot these events are some of the few who actually wear barrels out. They practice, practice, practice.

Every company makes a Target Version. I like Sako because they guarantee performance. If the gun is not MOA accurate, LR is out of the question.

If you want to perfect your marksmanship, how about .22 or air guns ? Cheaper to shoot & you don't need to be a highly skilled reloader.

Everything about LR gunnery is expensive.

19. tyler916

tyler916 New Member

How far u think a ar10 with a decent scope will reach out

20. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You got all that? I was not sure what he was trying to say.